It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dude, where's my tank? (Javelin Missile)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I was looking here
and these are some intersesting pics

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Lol. That was hilarious. I must say I'm impressed by the power of the Javelin. I can hardly believe how far away the engine landed.
I like the thread title too.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Sorry double post.

[edit on 11/9/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yes that is impressive, but were there in statestics on the tank such as whether or not it was fitted with exsplosive reactive armor.
I doubt these missiles would have the same effect on Russian T-72,T-80,T-90 etc.

Have you thought about what the Russians might have ???

The Russian AT-15 Khrizantema is the most deadly in its class,I would love to see it engage the likes of the M1A1/2

Maybe we might get the same effect

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kenshin
Yes that is impressive, but were there in statestics on the tank such as whether or not it was fitted with exsplosive reactive armor.
I doubt these missiles would have the same effect on Russian T-72,T-80,T-90 etc.

If not Javelin than LOSAT will pierce through them like butter. It's kinetic energy misille so powerfull that it can penentrate 3 tanks in row.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by longbow]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
www.defensereview.com...

Here you go people!

[edit on 10-11-2004 by kessel]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
wow this thread went dead, i thought more people would have more to say

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

dude, that WAS a T-72

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The Javelin would probably have the same effect on any tank. It's not so much the explosive power that matters, it's the fact that it's armor piercing that gives it that power.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by poirot

dude, that WAS a T-72

Um 'Dude' .... what did I say T-72 ... I doubt the T-72 in that test was a T-72 of Russia's latest standards ... The T-72 was first deployed in 1971, whats the point of testing the latest technologies on 33 year old technology, do you really THINKthe tank in the test is up to Russia's current T-72 standards, it wasn't even fitted with explosive reactive armor.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The tank in that test is a un-modified version of the T-72, basically, it's as if it came straight off the assembly line in 1971.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
lol did anyone watch the video?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
LOL yah, it reminds me of when you put firecrackers in a hotwheels.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Um 'Dude' .... what did I say T-72 ... I doubt the T-72 in that test was a T-72 of Russia's latest standards ... The T-72 was first deployed in 1971, whats the point of testing the latest technologies on 33 year old technology, do you really THINKthe tank in the test is up to Russia's current T-72 standards, it wasn't even fitted with explosive reactive armor.

Javelin has dual warhead, so it is able to deal with ERA too. It can penentrate 600mm of armor and no tank has so thick armour on top.

E_T

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Tandem warhead system, smaller first one to blow ERA and bigger second one to "open can".

www.globalsecurity.org...

Here's more clips from that test of can opener:
www.missilesandfirecontrol.com...

And here 's from test of "Dodge this" missile:
www.missilesandfirecontrol.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The T-72 was loaded with explosives to enhance effect. Probably done as a sales gimmic....looks like the gimmic worked

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by psteel
The T-72 was loaded with explosives to enhance effect. Probably done as a sales gimmic....looks like the gimmic worked

How do you know? Maybe it was just ammunition.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hi there E_T, I have a lot of respect for your posts.

The videos you linked to is a sales pitch.

From the look of it, the tanks was indeed rigged with either full load of ammunition or conventional explisoves to enhance the effect.

I was trying to find more links to Chrizantema system but I couldn't (it's new).

And yes, my father was a tank commander and piloted a T-34 and then a T-72 on occasion.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by psteel

How do you know? Maybe it was just ammunition.

Simple ammunition doesn't explode like that , it cooks off until a detonation occurs. This takes time and the usual result is the turret being ejected from the chassie. When ever you see a tank blown to bits, like that , the moment its hit , think HE. Its either hit by a bomb ; an HE shell [Very large one] or IED [depending on the amount of HE] etc.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by poirot

dude, that WAS a T-72

You want to hear something else? Saddam was still usin T-72s in iraqi freedom, the afganistan army is usin ak-47s, rpg-7s and T-72s. Why? because they are cheap, and effective

new topics

top topics

join