It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Enhance Intelligence of Mice with Human Brain Cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Source Link for Article

The page is loading very slow but the story is interesting. The inevitable Pinky and the Brain comparison seems obvious. I wonder if it is smart for humans to make smarter rodents. We could end up making our replacements when wed blow the crap out of this planet or destroy it in some other manner. The mice would likely make it and if they were super intelligent perhaps they would take over when we are no longer around.

edit on 8-3-2013 by endats01 because: one darn glaring error

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I hope this does not turn into a Stewart Little story........

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There will be gangs of super mice pulling off mastermind cheese heists

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Scary stuff.

If any of those guys get loose, PETA might have a leg to stand on in court, to prevent anyone from killing mice.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by endats01

Intriguing title and event for sure.

I wonder if it is smart for humans to make smarter rodents.

I don't think that was the intention, but makes for an interesting thought no doubt. I think the research is being used to help people with Huntington's disease, a chance to observe and experiment with human glial cells on the mice.
But yea, if the mice get smarter, they may rebel against so many years of testing on their species!

I am curious what would happen if we did this with primates? Of course as I type this, my distaste for experiment on animals makes me cringe.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's hard to imagine making anything smarter using human brain cells. The sheer amount of stupidity I see on a daily basis makes me think the mice may have been better off before this experiment.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Intriguing title and event for sure.

I wonder if it is smart for humans to make smarter rodents.

I don't think that was the intention, but makes for an interesting thought no doubt. I think the research is being used to help people with Huntington's disease, a chance to observe and experiment with human glial cells on the mice.
But yea, if the mice get smarter, they may rebel against so many years of testing on their species!

I am curious what would happen if we did this with primates? Of course as I type this, my distaste for experiment on animals makes me cringe.

Now you are making me cringe.
We should lobby to prevent this experiment being done in primates.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Actually, I think it would make the mice angry, possesive, dependent, oh, and give them a desire to invent little mouse nuclear bombs.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I have enough problems trying to control the population of mice having average intelligence without having to deal with super smart ones. Imagine how terrified the cats would be if the mice turned all "evil genius" on them.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thanks for the LOL super granny.

Imagine the poor Cats,haa.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Terribly sad day for so-called "scientists".

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What it really reminds me of is a book I read when I was a kid, "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH". Great book. The wikipedia article about it even mentions the real life experiment as an example of life imitating art:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
So instead of Apes, it will be Planet of the Mice!

Damn I already feel bad feeding my python

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

That is funny. Now you have too ask yourself "was that a sentient mammal that I just fed to a reptile".
Thanks I loled for real.

top topics

join