It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bolivians can't afford Quinoa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Since the high demand for quinoa the ones that grow it can't afford to eat it. In it's place is junk food because it is cheaper. Kids now rather have white bread and coke. I can say this is very sad a very good food priced out of range of poor people. Why does it have to be that way. If I want quinoa do I now feel bad for getting it or do I stop buying it and lose out. You got to love corrruption/Capitalism. I don't know if it is the bolivian/Peruvian government doing this or what but it is almost like the Chinese not affording rice.

www.care2.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I reccomend asking what can you do to send them materials on pollination of food crops without bees. Perhaps you can suggest some crops they are not growing that could be modified in minor ways to lower the cost of good carbs for them.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by celticdog

Quinoa is becoming a fad in some diets in North America and Europe, it's showing up in books and talk shows. So the supply might be going to a new demand, with people who have used it for a staple for hundreds of years losing out.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
And I'm back to report that Quinoa is delicious! As a vegan this is a great find, and I can see why the Andes people call it "The Mother Grain" and the sacred grain. Yummmmm. I can see why it is being priced out of range of the original people who loved and honored it.

top topics

join