It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golden Rule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Wikipedia: Golden Rule

Does this work in our society in America? Or does this only work in a society where everyone accepts it as a good idea?

If I start treating other people the way I want to be treated these days, I can end up getting used. I've noticed recently that treating people how I would not like to be treated can get me farther in social situations.

Or maybe it's more complicated than that. Maybe I don't know how I want to be treated?
edit on 21-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I have found than i know way more about what i don't want than what i want.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
If I start treating other people the way I want to be treated these days, I can end up getting used.

Therein lies one of the secrets to happiness imo.

Give someone enough rope and they will hang themselves.

Finding out who we can trust and who our friends really are is something many people avoid through fear of being hurt, used, or worse, but if one is brave enough to offer others the chance to prove themselves, either way, they can reveal all and afford us the chance to decide who comes with us on this journey we each call life and who gets left behind.

Not a leap many dare to take, but most times the rewards and the security far outweigh the pain in the long run.

Be nice to everyone, keep being nice to those who reciprocate the energy and ignore those who steal yours. The world is full of energy thieves but finding them can be easy, and once you recognise how it works you will always be the one with a big grin, even when someone has shat on you from a great height, they are in fact, doing you a favour and cutting their free source of energy is the only option.

Sometimes, lessons are learned by those who don't share that energy, so a little forgiveness and time is worth investing in those who are special to see if they live and learn.

cheers.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Does this work in our society in America? Or does this only work in a society where everyone accepts it as a good idea?

If I start treating other people the way I want to be treated these days, I can end up getting used. I've noticed recently that treating people how I would not like to be treated can get me farther in social situations.

Or maybe it's more complicated than that. Maybe I don't know how I want to be treated?

If you are like any normal individual and I'm sure you are then you will prefer to be treated with a degree of respect and as an equal. I myself treat others in this manner and expect it to be recipricated. When it isn't I quickly lose any desire to interact with the offender/s and proceed to ignore them. Often I will just say straight out, 'there is no need to speak to me in that manner I am not your enemy'. This usually rocks them and they don't know what to say.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The Golden rule is pretty worthless in a society that is built on a concept of competition and social status.
We don't have equal rights in a competitive society.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I'm so thankful I'm seeing this topic... the past few years have highlighted this concept for me almost too brightly. It can be a lonely and sorrowful place when you are alone in living the actions and doing it on your own. Feels at times like I have to go against myself to do the things that actually are the catalyst for change...
It is only through treating others how we would like to be treated that we end up learning our true character... and it consists of the good and bad, all that we see in others is just a reflection of yourself. Character is only the choice of which side we choose to Build upon.
In my opinion... =)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Interesting. I suppose you know that:

came from Jesus. Prior to that time it had been "Don't treat others in a way you wouldn't like to be treated." He changed the rule from a negative one to a positive, making a true advance in ethics.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

yes I agree with the golden rule... for me, it is really the only law.

how can it be wrong?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

This is perfect. It can positively affect your environment.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by crystalLibra

The golden rule is being forgotten, yet it used to be a key staple in American society. I don't think anyone disagrees with its logic, as this particular rule makes a lot of sense.

One interesting thing - I have found that using the golden rule on your enemy has unexpected results.
edit on 22-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

I found that out about myself as well. Then I found out that by focusing on what I don't want, it seems like I get there faster. I hear that focusing on what you do want works well.

I still don't know much about myself. I mean I do, but I fluctuate on things.
edit on 22-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
The Golden Rule is a key tenant of nearly every religion on the planet. It is also the one most ignored by the religions that preach it. It's not really a religious concept, more of an evolutionary process developed to ensure we survive as a species. We managed to do quite well as a species before the discovery of the abrahamic faiths.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I'm very good at it!

short reply #261, I'll keep that in mind moderator.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Loveth others as thine selveth

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
We need a new generation of Hippies again to bring an influx of peace love and joy to balance the countless, hate and sorrow in the world. We will more then likely continue to spiral down to where people will be scared, hungry and confused servants to TPTB. Then and only then will small groups gather and form communities to try and cherish each other, only to be hunted and targeted as Terrorist. It's a nasty future ahead of us.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

I can't say that we need another generation of hippies, as look what they have done to this country. Yes they have brough a lot of tech and growth et cetera but they also left us with a bunch of educated derelict children who want everything on a silver spoon.

Walk quietly and carry a big stick. Doing to other as you want done to you is Karma at it's roots.

When you do act out of love you start calling in higher vibrations. Though the wheels of life don't change immediately you can change the station and help balance out the infrequencies you have either created prior to this life or during....

The negative will always try to re-enter, it's like a good game of Hearts.... That Black Queen is going to be tossed on someone nobody knows who but even then you can shoot the moon and win the game, given you play your cards right.

The Golden rule is the Golden rule for a reason, just depends how you play your game~

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
In the first pages of Be Here Now, Baba Ram Dass shows his first lesson from his Guru.
"Desire is the creator.
Desire is the destroyer.
Desire is the universe.
Free of desire is liberation."

That is my golden rule.
It does relate. If your living free of desires, your living to make others happy before yourself. That is true happiness.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Deyadorean

So, by abandoning all desires, you can fulfill your desire to make others happy before yourself. And by doing that you can fulfill your real desire of finding true happiness.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

top topics

join