It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Anyone Here Flown With A Toddler?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thanks for your thoughtful response and I appreciate people like you who are trying to make it a pleasant experience for your grandchild, yourself, and those who will be in close proximity. If everyone were so responsible and courteous, people like me wouldn't feel so aggrevated when we have to be in a public place where children are often taken.

People who don't take responsibility for their child(ren)'s behavior early on do pay the price though, so that makes me smile. When children aren't taught manners and boundaries early on, the parents are left to contend with teenagers who don't show them any respect who become adults who don't take any responsibility for their own actions, then these people have children who they don't raise right. It's a vicious circle. I'm sure your child(ren) grew up to be very courteous and parent in a responsible manner.

Best of luck with your flight and may you both return home safely.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

God Bless your efforts raising your grandchild. Really? I am with you all the way. You were in fact asking some ways to rectify the issue, and that shows. I think tho it boils down to one thinking because they can do something like fly with a child, they should be allowed to for thier convenience, disregarding others RIGHTS.

One could put the toddler on their lap and let them steer a car down the road. After all...you COULD!
One could put the child in the middle of an empty street. After all...you CAN!
You could also let the toddler ride alone to a destination on a bus alone. After all...you COULD!
You could give the child a large knife at the Holiday dinner and let them carve the bird. After all...you COULD!

Just because children are allowed to fly, bus or ride the train (reasons of making money)...should you let them? You COULD..but should you?

Your thread mentions convenience to you regardless of anyone else...because you CAN take them that way. Because they allow it. But should you?

Bless you ma'am, and I know it's hard. You should be commended and will be rewarded when the toddler grows up a strong, kind person.

Thank you for that and this thread.
Best
MS
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: spelling

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

One could put the toddler on their lap and let them steer a car down the road. After all...you COULD!
One could put the child in the middle of an empty street. After all...you CAN!
You could also let the toddler ride alone to a destination on a bus alone. After all...you COULD!
You could give the child a large knife at the Holiday dinner and let them carve the bird. After all...you COULD!

Actually you cant do any of that... unless you want a visit from child protection services.
This is one of those self-entitled jerks I was referring too.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Update: Just to say thanks to all of you who took the time to give me helpful advice! The trip went well and my grandaughter behaved like a little angel on the flights. I was a very proud granny when several people commented to me that they had never seen such a well behaved child on a flight; this occurred on both of the flights to and from our destination.

To those who suggested chewy candy and drinks to help with "ear popping" an extra thank you! Gummy Lifesavers and a sippy cup of water did the trick, so there was no painful crying from pressure changes. Also I never even had to bust out the DVDs or coloring book as she was happy as a little clam with a travel sized Magnadoodle and a Ninja Turtle on a motorcycle.

To those who complained about brats on planes I have a better understanding now. On the final flight home there was an older child sitting behind me who would not stop kicking the back of my seat and was loud and kept throwing toys- and her mother never even scolded her. I chalk it up to a "parent problem" rather than a "child problem" as it wasn't a really long flight and the child was old enough to know better but the mother did absolutely nothing to keep the child in check. I guess I can be thankful that the behavior wasn't contagious because there were many children on the plane that were well behaved and if I hadn't seen them I would have never known that they were on board.

All in all it was a great experience. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread- your advice helped to make it a pleasant experience for both me and my grandchild, as well as the other passengers!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Glad to hear you both arrived home safely!

It's nice to know that your grandchild exceeded your expectations. You're doing a fine job and I don't think you have much to worry about. Also, thanks for telling the flip side of it and how you got annoyed a couple of times by unruly kidsand discussing their parents' behavior. Absolutely it's the parents' responsibility to raise well mannered, responsible adults. It's a bad decision for parents to not nip this in the bud early before their child(ren) grow into teenagers who believe they have the upper hand because their parents supplied them with no direction in life whatsoever.
At this point, I'm left wondering which parenting type is most practiced today? Scary thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join