It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mar’s Curiosity self-portrait.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You're right, but it's obviously easy to make something disappear from the photo.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Who took this photo?

Fred. Or maybe Leroy.

Read the article.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage, I missed that part of the write up...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I can totally see that in the lens...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
reply to post by Phage

The answer is that Curiosity itself is responsible for the pictures, with strong assists from image-processing gurus.

They exposed themselves, photoshop'd at it's finest, and guy did it on the rush...
edit on 1-11-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

Stop with the bull crap. The image was a composite from various ones, not one single picture. It's not an official NASA picture.
edit on 1-11-2012 by JameSimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Who took this photo?

Johnny Five of course...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by VoidHawk

Who took this photo?

Fred. Or maybe Leroy.

Read the article.

Not even real pictures, why post pictures that are FAKE.
edit on 1-11-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JameSimon

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
reply to post by Phage

The answer is that Curiosity itself is responsible for the pictures, with strong assists from image-processing gurus.

They exposed themselves, photoshop'd at it's finest, and guy did it on the rush...

Stop with the bull crap. The image was a composite from various ones, not one single picture. It's not an official NASA picture.
edit on 1-11-2012 by JameSimon because: (no reason given)

Sure it's not...

Preliminary Self-Portrait of Curiosity by Rover's Arm Camera On Sol 84 (Oct. 31, 2012), the Curiosity rover used the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) to capture the set of thumbnail images stitched together to create this full-color self-portrait. This self-portrait documents the state of the rover and allows mission engineers to track changes over time, such as dust accumulation and wheel wear. Due to its location on the end of the robotic arm, only MAHLI is able to image some parts of the rover, including port-side wheels. The mosaic shows the rover at "Rocknest," the spot in Gale Crater where the mission's first scoop sampling took place. Scoop scars can be seen in the regolith in front of the rover. A portion of Mount Sharp appears on the right side. Mountains in the background to the left are the northern wall of Gale Crater. When the rover returns the full-resolution MAHLI frames of the scene, the team plans to generate a more detailed portrait of Curiosity in its Martian neighborhood.

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Malin Space Science Systems

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

oooh..

Looky there from your source....

On Sol 84 (Oct. 31, 2012), the Curiosity rover used the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) to capture the set of thumbnail images stitched together to create this full-color self-portrait.

and

The mosaic shows the rover at "Rocknest,"

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

To be clear, the quote I posted was not about the image on the NASA website (as would be obvious to anyone who read the article). However, it does explain that the arm is not visible as a result of the way the mosaic was assembled.

Here are the original images. See if you can do better.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I've just joined here after lurking for months, so please don't lay into me if the answer to my question is obvious to some of you. I am just a girl after all!

On the 1st picture, the closer up of the 2, there seem to be small (metal?) objects in the sky around curiosity. I did zoom in to see them, but if you look top right there's 3 of them, and another just to the left of the highest part of the machine.

Am I seeing things!?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Whatsitallabout

You're seeing specks (either on the lens or inside the camera). They appear in the same location of every frame from the MAHLI.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I perfectly understand what you're saying, and I agree the picture is the result of the image processing tool, what my point was that it's so easy for them manipulating those photos that things like that raising suspicion in me for them not being sincere. I don't know why is that, but I choose not to believe them.
Also, sorry for my bad english, I'm doing my best.

Look at this photo from ChemCam, Jesus Christ NASA, cameras manufactured two centuries ago would do the better job.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
this is all very cool

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

To be clear, the quote I posted was not about the image on the NASA website (as would be obvious to anyone who read the article). However, it does explain that the arm is not visible as a result of the way the mosaic was assembled.
Here are the original images. See if you can do better.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Dog gone it Phage, your such a spoil sport

We all know that this is what really happened

I may have to break out my Obi-Wan Kenobi photo

(just kidding)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
WALL-E

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Who took this photo?

Me.

Whats it to ya ?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It's amazing how far we have come in regards to technology. If only we could stop worrying about wars and fighting over resources..we would be so much farther ahead if we would work together. We should already be moved over to Alternative Energy. One day...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

My guess is either a Satellite or it was taken when the rover first landed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join