It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Boy Finds Wooly Mammoth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

I remember how, as children, my brother and I would dig in our backyard looking for dinosaur bones or pirates treasure. We never found anything, of course, except an old cow's leg bone (which was immediately dubbed the bone of a T-Rex :@@
. I think most children have entertained similar hopes.

Well, according to this article, one boy just made history by finding the best preserved Wooly Mammoth. How awesome is that?!

An 11-year-old boy from Russia's north has stumbled upon a well-preserved wooly mammoth, in what scientists describe as the best such discovery since 1901.

Yevgeny Salinder, whose family lives near a polar station in the northern Taimyr Peninsula, discovered the frozen animal when he was strolling along the banks of the Yenisei River in late August.

"He sensed an unpleasant odor and saw something sticking out of the ground -- it was the mammoth's heels," said Alexei Tikhonov, director of the Saint Petersburg-based Zoological Museum, who rushed to the tundra after the boy's family had notified scientists of the historic find.

Tikhonov said the mammoth had died aged 15-16 around 30,000 years ago, adding his tusk, skin, an eye and an ear were clearly visible.

I think this is amazing, that young boy is incredibly lucky.
edit on Sat Oct 6 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Pretty amazing considering it's about 30,000 years old and the boy smelt it. Something is melting there...
Reminds me about some T-rex bones which also smelt bad and had some blood still remaining/muscle cells.
edit on 6-10-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

"His one-meter-long penis is also intact so we can conclude that this was a male," Tikhonov said.

Okay so i see the point of it for pointing out the sex of the animal. but for such a short story does it really need highlight the length of its penis??? lol, not the total height / length of the animal or the weight, just its age and the size of its penis.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Time for mammoth steaks?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I know someone who ate a stew made of mammoth meat, made from a carcass that was found frozen.
Sounds icky to me.

top topics

join