It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Cheetah runs faster than Usain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Some of us have been monitoring this development for a few years now. They are getting much closer to fast agile ground base robotic hunters. It's just a matter of time before the world will see them being deployed in combat zones.

Be forewarned...

‘Roboti c cheetah’ faster than Usain Bolt

A ‘ROBOTIC cheetah’ with the ability to run faster than Olympic champion Usain Bolt has been developed by a team of US military researchers.The Pentagon-funded machine set a new land speed record for four-legged robots after it clocked 28mph on a treadmill.It makes the ‘cheetah’ quicker than the world’s fastest man Bolt, who reached a speed of 27.8mph to set a new 100m world record in 2009.The machine was designed by Boston Dynamics

Related News perspective

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
How long found you power somethin like this with a battery simila to one curiosity use non mars? What would the other options be fo a power source.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Good question.
I don't know, I'm sure they have something in development but honestly at 28+ mph how long would it need to operate to run down the average soldier/person in the field?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Hmmm..... I love their 'go get 'em' attitude on building new robotics that out perform and can outfight any living man....but...umm...is this always such a good idea? Anyone recall the movie showing this concept taken a few generations further?

Mission to Mars: AMEE Examined

What could possibly go wrong, right? Why can't we have strictly non-military development of the bots and drones? I just can't warm up to the idea of a machine being more powerful than I am...with the eventual intelligence and physical freedom of movement to put that to good use.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Sorry, Slayer, but already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I want one with a saddle and more speed and a minIgun

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Talk about a total ATS search function fail.
I did a search and got two older hits.
Thanks for the heads up

I guess there are too many DARPA related stories

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I did a little testing with DARPA back in 06 and 07. Needless to say tip of the iceberg regarding this field.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
As a lover of the actual animal, I don't know how to feel about this....

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I want one.

new topics

top topics

join