It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Might Be Here Early

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well, I live where the winters are mild and we have plenty of stores around to get our food. So that story has no weight for me.

Correct yes but we are talking about the historical origins of the strange practice of "predicting the weather" which you were questioning.

I was merely explaining the most likely origin of the practice began as a form of improving agricultural technique and increasing production.

They didn't have stores or factories or greenhouses back then.

'Weather prediction' was most likely a subcategory that developed within astronomy, and as you know nearly all of the ancient megalithic sites around Earth such as Stonehenge, were highly accurate astronomical calendars most likely used as observatories among possible other functions.

That type of astronomical information could aid in keeping the agricultural sector better prepared for potential hardships. So I would not be surprised that the practice is as old as any of these ancient archaeological sites that have remains of astronomic measuring technology.

Of course I am wading into a more speculative area here, but it is merely a logical assessment.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join