It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing, Death, and Dying

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I have had to do the same thing you did to your horse, a few times while growing up on the farm. I also have had to kill humans in 1969 while serving in the USMC, but I can say that killing the enemy never bothered me on a personal level, I never thought about what I was doing and never let that thought linger in my mind, the whys and what for's. I do know that in an end of the world type situation, I would not hesitate to kill another person or two or three or what ever it took to keep my family safe, I can also say I would not dwell on it after the deed was done. as for a mercy killing, not sure I could pull that off because there always seems to be another way, I would probably do everything in my power to keep them alive, everything humanly possible until they did expire. I have told my children that there is nothing glorifying about war, it's not like the movies, and all war is, is killing or being killed, end of the story. But, during bad times, if you hesitate, like most humans would before pulling the trigger, then you will die. when it comes to me or the other guy, it is always going to be the other guy, just the way it is.

since Vietnam, I have never had nightmares about killing gooks, ever. I have had nightmares about my dying and dead brothers. I like the story I saw about a news reporter asking the sniper in Iraq "what he felt when he pulled the trigger?", the marine answered by saying he "felt the recoil". that is how it has to be or you will go nuts...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Sometimes keeping a thread alive is ironic. And since I'm a fan of irony, here goes.

"Have you killed or could you kill?"

Yes, so.........yes.

A few farm animals and family pets mainly and only when it was necessary.

The animals were easy but the pets.......you grow attached to your pets. It never gets easier either. Whether it's by your own hand or you take them to a shelter, you know what the end result is going to be. It's always a hard thing to do, but when it needs to be done, you do it.

to you and your wife for doing what was right. Animals shouldn't have to suffer.

It's just like anything else though I suppose. It's harder to do what you need to do, then what you want to do.

People, no. Never wanted to and I'm smart enough to keep myself out of situations where I would have to.

cool:
edit on 6-10-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: Damn Brackets

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
my friend asked me to shoot his dog for him. was your classic farm hound. and old and sick. and could barely move around.

of course he couldnt do it himself.
i hesitated as little as i could. him indoors just listening for the shot, it would have only made it worse really.

im not use to hunting and the such, i had no idea if i would miss the thing. or just horribly injure it.
i couldnt live with myself if i had to shoot it twice.

thank god it went as planned. im glad to do it because it would have been far worse for my friend. but really i wouldnt want to do such a thing again

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

Just wanted to say my heart goes out to the OP. You made the hard choice and you have my respect for being able to make that decision and stick with it. Some folks may have not found themselves in this position, and I am glad for you, but killing an animal in pain is considered a mercy and an honor.

Personally I would not want someone else to kill my dog or horse if they are beyond saving. I wish I could be so lucky if I find myself beyond saving, but sadly us humans have to go through the pain all the way to the end, not having the option to be put out of our misery.

Strange world it is. Thank you for going through the pain of reliving that experience so that some people might feel what it is like to have to make a life and death decision that does not involve a computer game. The world has been desensitized to killing, and look where we are as a result.

Peace...

<< 1   >>

join