It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superbug vs. Monsanto: Nature rebels against biotech titan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
A growing number of rootworms are now able to safely devour genetically modified corn, corn which was specifically designed by Monsanto to kill those same pests. A new study shows that while the biotech giant may triumph in Congress, it will never be able to outsmart nature.

A growing number of rootworms are now able to devour genetically modified corn specifically designed by Monsanto to kill those same pests. A new study shows that while the biotech giant may triumph in Congress, it will never be able to outsmart nature.

The recent findings came days after Monsanto, along with other biotech companies, got a major boost from a congressional panel, which okayed the manufacture of GM crops despite pending legal challenges. Many of the lawsuits that Monsanto faces include assessments that its crops are unsafe for human consumption and affect the health of unborn children.

I bet they feel soooooooo smart now right ? haha well done Monsanto, bravo!.

SOURCE ARTICLE (READ ME)
edit on 1-7-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

Brilliant stuff. Pity the source is RT but I trust nature will do its bit in the near future anyway.

When pondering the above all I can see is Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park saying 'Nature always finds a way'.
edit on 1-7-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
monsanto=artifical evolution
Natural selection=natural evolution.

Just gotta wait for corn v2.0, then wait for worms, ect, to catch up.

Same idea as with drug resistant infections popping up in hospitals.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Brilliant stuff. Pity the source is RT but I trust nature will do its bit in the near future anyway.

When pondering the above all I can see is Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park saying 'Nature always finds a way'.

Yes it is disappointing that RT is the only source ( i think it is) for this article.

HAHA im getting the Goldblum visions now too hahahahah

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
monsanto=artifical evolution
Natural selection=natural evolution.

Just gotta wait for corn v2.0, then wait for worms, ect, to catch up.

Same idea as with drug resistant infections popping up in hospitals.

And then on and on until the worms can eat us lol (joke).

Same idea as with drug resistant infections popping up in hospitals. oh wow really? where can i read about this MrB? Thanks for your reply

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Something Monsanto didn't consider -

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I don't really have a source, but if you impose a natural barrier to bacteria, like an antiseptic or antibiotic, then most will die off, but eventually evolution takes over and as bacterial genes mutate, there are a few cells with the ability to resist the antibiotic and live long enough to reproduce and pass on the resistant genes. It's a problem with staph in hospitals. en.wikipedia.org...

Like birds needing big beaks to break tough nuts for food. The birds with the biggest beaks can eat and live long enough to reproduce and pass on the genes for big beaks. Small beaked birds die before they can reproduce and that trait falls away.
Doesn't really happen like that for birds because of the wide variety of food, but it explains why there are so many types of birds. Each finds it's niche.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Yeh, I love it. They can subvert Congress; they can ignore our outrage; they can defy the nations of the EU. But they've been bested by the lowest of God's creatures--bless 'em all....

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Experts are also noting that this year’s resistant rootworm populations are maturing earlier than expected. In fact, the time the bug’s larvae hatched wasthe earliest in decades.

Gee, I wonder why......

The Western corn rootworm 'season' is underway at a pace earlier than I have experienced since I began studying this versatile insect as a graduate student in the late 1970s, entomologist Mike Gray wrote in The Bulletin, a periodical issued by the University of Chicago’s Department of Crop Studi

Are these idiots that stupid to realize that these GM crops has also in turn altered these bugs.

What, pray tell, is the long term affect for us humans?

At least the superbugs are no longer dying from these crops, so maybe there is hope for mankind after all.

edit on 2-7-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Hey, this article is from March 2012 but it goes more into detail about the bugs resistance:

In several U.S. states, Western corn rootworms are developing resistance to a Bt protein produced by certain varieties of genetically modified Bt maize. In response, twenty-two leading scientists in the field of pest control in maize farming addressed a joint letter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at the beginning of March. Among other things they criticize the lack of adequate resistance management and the marketing strategies of the big companies. The scientists call for integrated pest control that includes the cultivation of Bt maize.

westernfarmpress.com...

I hate the way they have to mess with Mother Nature.....

Life DOES find a way.....

Never understood why they had to experiment with the GM to begin with other than money and control.

I guess we are the Guinea Pigs, the lab rats so to speak.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
It was always known that nature would catch up, like it has with the wide range of pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals used. It has just been a matter of when and if technology can stay on top of it. One problem with this race is that when no insect is able to eat the food, how are we?

There have been some farmers that work with the insects and develop a manageable ecosystem, but it is tough and comes with many diverse local variations. This model does not fit with patent law as there are so many variations and challenges between soil, crop, weather and other farming influences so it does give these methods a hard time in gaining the traction and resources required to implement them successfully.

new topics

top topics

join