It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planetary Resources: mining asteroids project launched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Outside experts are sceptical about the project, announced at a news conference in Seattle on Tuesday, which would likely require untold millions, or perhaps billions of dollars and huge advances in technology. But the same entrepreneurs pioneered the selling of space rides to tourists – a notion that seemed fanciful not long ago, too. "Since my early teenage years, I've wanted to be an asteroid miner. I always viewed it as a glamorous vision of where we could go," Peter Diamandis, one of the founders of Planetary Resources, said at a news conference at The Museum of Flight in Seattle. The company's vision "is to make the resources of space available to humanity." The inaugural step, to be achieved in the next 18 to 24 months, would be launching the first in a series of private telescopes that would search for the right type of asteroids.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 29-4-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

A fairly recent article has somewhat dampened my hope for human space exploration. I'm not suggesting we will forever be limited to short-term excursions into space, but the article suggests human physiology may pose yet another challenge beyond known &/or understood limitations.

www.redorbit.com...

Despite the report I'm glad to see that entrepeneurs are pushing the envelope so to speak.

Far out stuff

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kovenov

A fairly recent article has somewhat dampened my hope for human space exploration. I'm not suggesting we will forever be limited to short-term excursions into space, but the article suggests human physiology may pose yet another challenge beyond known &/or understood limitations.

www.redorbit.com...

Despite the report I'm glad to see that entrepeneurs are pushing the envelope so to speak.

Far out stuff

just read the aritcle, i dont think it will stop anything, they will just off bigger money for men and women still willing to do it and make them sign an agreement not to sue if your eyes get all fu**ed up..

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kovenov

www.redorbit.com...

Far out stuff

Just select astronauts who's eyesight will be improved by the condition. Job done.

We know a lot more about how to do deep space safely than we did when we sailed round the world the first time.

There will be no shortage of volunteers either way.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I don't know if it's possible to make it a lucrative venture anytime soon, but these ultra rich people may as well use their money for human advancement and I think this could lead to such. Create new methods of space travel new types of propulsion etc...I hope so anyway.

new topics

top topics

join