It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbal Adaptogens, specifically Ginseng and Ganoderma (Reishi Mushroom)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I've just been reading up on these two adaptogens and thought a few people here might like to read the studies (link below) done in Russia and Sweden on these herbs; very surprising. I will be looking for Siberian Ginseng today and start taking it to see if my fatigue lessens. As for the Ganoderma, my son just bought Organo coffee containing Ganoderma (but only a week's worth; it is so expensive), so I'll combine the two for a week to ascertain if there is any improvement.

Ginseng (spec. Siberian):

1. Protects against environmental pollutants and radiation

2. Normalizes body temperature, thus treating hypothermia

3. Regulates blood-sugar levels

4. Protects the liver and enhances its ability to break down and get rid of drugs in the body

5. Increases the body's ability to resist infection

6. Supports optimum adrenal function

Reishi Mushrooms:

Reishi mushrooms are one of the most revered of the adaptogens. There are stories of people in Japan traveling for hundreds of miles on foot to pick them in the hopes of curing their cancer or other incurable disease. The list of benefits observed in laboratory and clinic experiments reads like a panacea wish-list. Reishi has shown a wide range of adaptogenic properties, including blood sugar regulation, immune support, anti-cancer properties, ability to oxygenate the blood efficiently, speeded regeneration of the liver, a sedative and calming effect, free-radical protective effect, radiation protective effect, reduction in sensitivity to allergens, anti-hypertensive effect, and it lowers cholesterol.

bing.search.sympatico.ca...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Nice find and it is always good to bring the light of natural heath to the public. Many people forget we managed before big pharm.

Always check with a health care provider when changing any health routine...herbal and CAM providers count.

Ginseng should only be taken medicinally for approximately 6 weeks at a time with a 3 week break or you risk adrenal fatigue or Ginseng Abuse Syndrome. Having small doses in your tea daily is ok once you get into the 100-200mg tid it becomes an herbal prescription.

It is also believed to increase male fertility so caution unless you are trying to have more.

Avoid ginseng if you have a estrogen-dependant condition such as breast cancer.

Do not take with: Anticoagulants, anticonvulsants, antidiabetics, immunosuppressants, insulin, MAOIs, other stimulants.

Ginseng can also decrease blood glucose levels in lab work so be sure to let your health care provider know you are supplementing with it.

I will check out the mushrooms see what else I can find the medicinal use is new to me.
edit on 21-4-2012 by UdderlyInsane because: forgot something

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Thank you so much for the Ginseng warning. I was going to experiment for a week only just to determine if there were immediate benefits as I know my body very well. If I did notice an improvement during that timeframe, I would have delved into more detailed research.

It is so nice and convenient to have such important information here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I drink a cup of ganoderma every morning...I substitute it for coffee. I love it. It wakes me up
but I don't get that jittery feeling I get with caffeine, even if I drink a lot of it. I can also drink
it at night and it'll help me stay awake but won't keep me awake when it's time to go to sleep.

I'm aware of the health benefits and I know it's supposed to shrink tumors. I was recently
diagnosed with breast cancer and had a partial mastectomy (didn't know that about ginseng
either, I will stay away) a few weeks ago. The tumor was small (1cm) and almost no cancer
in my lymph nodes. I'd like to think the ganoderma was at least partially responsible for that.
No way to prove it though.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm glad to hear your on your way to recovery and I believe all the toxins in our bodies are the causes of many diseases.

I am having a cup of Ganoderma right now and have started taking the Siberian Ginseng as of yesterday, so today will start the one week experiment of the two herbal adaptogens together.

Surprisingly enough, my fatigue is gone...not faded...completely gone away. I have to attribute it to the Sibertian Gingseng as there is nothing else I am doing differently.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
They are both magic plants. They know how to react with our bodies in an intelligent way. Adaptogenics act differently to each and every one of us. Plants can communicate to us through their herbal properties.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I am beginning to be a believer that these two specific plants are magic. However, I was informed that Ganoderma detoxifies the body, so some people may experience a 'flushing' period. This seems to deter people from continuing with it; but I'm told it will stop. I won't let that put me off. I want my energy levels to rise because there is so much to do in life and I want to feel energetic again.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
I've just been reading up on these two adaptogens and thought a few people here might like to read the studies (link below) done in Russia and Sweden on these herbs; very surprising. I will be looking for Siberian Ginseng today and start taking it to see if my fatigue lessens. As for the Ganoderma, my son just bought Organo coffee containing Ganoderma (but only a week's worth; it is so expensive), so I'll combine the two for a week to ascertain if there is any improvement.

Ginseng (spec. Siberian):

1. Protects against environmental pollutants and radiation

2. Normalizes body temperature, thus treating hypothermia

3. Regulates blood-sugar levels

4. Protects the liver and enhances its ability to break down and get rid of drugs in the body

5. Increases the body's ability to resist infection

6. Supports optimum adrenal function

Reishi Mushrooms:

Reishi mushrooms are one of the most revered of the adaptogens. There are stories of people in Japan traveling for hundreds of miles on foot to pick them in the hopes of curing their cancer or other incurable disease. The list of benefits observed in laboratory and clinic experiments reads like a panacea wish-list. Reishi has shown a wide range of adaptogenic properties, including blood sugar regulation, immune support, anti-cancer properties, ability to oxygenate the blood efficiently, speeded regeneration of the liver, a sedative and calming effect, free-radical protective effect, radiation protective effect, reduction in sensitivity to allergens, anti-hypertensive effect, and it lowers cholesterol.

bing.search.sympatico.ca...

Thanks for the great information. Are there any popular forums discussing these things and online stores to buy quality items like this?
edit on 8-10-2016 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

I must say that after I got the desired result, that being an increase in my energy levels, I stopped taking these herbs. I am not a pill popper nor a supplement taker, but I will go on herbal binges, only when absolutely necessary.

At the time, my son was selling the Ganoderma, so being a good mom, I bought a good quantity. However, after reading of its benefits, I decided to try a two week experiment, but I included Siberian Ginseng.

I created this thread quite a while ago, and, so, the herbs in combination must have worked to a certain extent, because I have not experienced that level of fatigue again.

@tpp - I have never met anyone else since who was selling Ganoderma, but I have met other people that sell herbal supplements that they claim are pure and do not contain filler. So, you may want to ask around...network where you can.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I have tried both and to be honest felt absolutely no effect, I still have some in my cubard because I stopped taking it because it wasnt doing anything for me.

If you want energy I would go with cordyceps, Rhodiola and maybe a caffeinated Holly tea.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: zinc12

I have tried both and to be honest felt absolutely no effect, I still have some in my cubard because I stopped taking it because it wasnt doing anything for me.

If you want energy I would go with cordyceps, Rhodiola and maybe a caffeinated Holly tea.

It is a 'hit and miss' thing as we are all different, I believe, chemically, hormone-wise, etc. Perhaps some of us don't give the herbs enough time as in some of my medicinal herbal books they call for using a herb for two months, some a few weeks - then again, at what dosage...it can be a daunting practice.

I also recall one other time I was fatigued, so I bought a bottle of 'green', which was a mix of veggies and greens and to my surprise after only one green pill, my energy levels skyrocketed. So, it may be just luck hitting on the right mixture.

Another book tells us to use only that which is found in the wild as these plants/fungi will feed on more natural and widespread offerings, such as in the case of oregano oil, which should be harvested only from the wild.

So, you may be on to something with Cordyceps, depending upon how and where it is harvested.
edit on 16-10-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Cordyceps increases ATP output and blood oxygenation. ATP is ultimately what fuels you everything you eat ultimately gets turned into ATP.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: zinc12
Cordyceps increases ATP output and blood oxygenation. ATP is ultimately what fuels you everything you eat ultimately gets turned into ATP.

In trying to understand our bodily cell's functions and nutritional requirements, through ageing, it appears that "oxidative stress" plays a negative role in forming free radicals the older we become, as per the article in the link below. As well, it is continually reaffirmed that large doses of Vitamin C are required for optimum cell health, as I have been hearing and reading for decades.

Optimal levels to prevent degenerative disease

Nowadays, the optimal levels of nutrients known to provide health benefits are significantly greater than those suggested by the RDA levels. For example, some studies show that the optimal level of vitamin C is approximately 1200 to 2000 mg daily, while the RDA is only 60 mg. To benefit from the optimal levels of cellular nutrition, you’d need to eat 17 kiwifruit, or 18 oranges, or 160 apples! When you look at it like that, it seems obvious that the best way to get these levels of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients is to take a good quality supplement. Think of cellular nutrition as a very wise way of using the supplement and your food as “preventative medicine” to stop the disease process before it even begins.

www.preventive-health-guide.com...
edit on 19-10-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join