It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Perceive People with (Foreign) Accents Differently?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
No, because that is labeling and generalizing about people.

My only fault is sometimes it's hard for me to understand people.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Yes and No. It implies a different culture, an some accents are very wonderful to a English ear, ie Australian, for example. Others give me the alert to look for clues in the person if they are freedom loving or not.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by survivaloftheslickest

Pretty much I think they are inferior to me because they are not American.

What?

Everyone already thinks we are ignorant, uneducated, xenophobic assholes. So screw it. I'm gonna roll with the punches and give em what they want

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I get weak-kneed when I hear an Irish brogue, a Scots burr, or an Aussie drawl. It's instinctive, I think.

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th that! I was going to post this until I saw you beat me to it. That Scots burr is indeed a fire starter... the kilt adds a bit to it for me as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
I know I do. When I hear an accent, I hope that I can understand them. I work in a call center so sometimes it can be a pain in the... you know what to understand.

Other than that, I see people as people. We all basically want to be treated respectfully and I try (and it can be really hard sometimes
especially when they are mad about something and your just trying to find out what it is so you can fix it)

I am excellent at speaking perfect english....until I get angry or frustrated, then the accent comes out in full force! That is probably why you have a more difficult time in a call center! Most have lost their temper by the time they get to you and accents come out!

I feel sorry for you, I really do!

(heck if I am mad enough I can even type with an accent, because for some reason my mind quits being able to translate between languages, and I do not know why that is)
edit on 16-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join