It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beeps, Flashing and Vibrations Inhibit Student Focusing

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Kind , sweet, intelligent, and crafty wit, you are alright with me smyleegrl!!
It seems capturing and holding all of the students attention would be the challenge, but this is probably a monumental tasks, because of all the variance in students backgrounds and their abilities, or lack of. Plus there are kids with their own issues, hormone madness and/or medications. I still think the circular desk arrangement makes a difference, but there are probably too many students in each class room for such.

The sad part is that I would imagine a teacher, at some point for the sake of the majority of other students, has to let a few fall off the end, so to speak, because teachers logistically can't provide the one on one required for some students. Then you have to deal with the parents involvement, or lack of. I am glad to hear you still have your sanity smyleegrl, but a valium salt lick may be an essential item for your forbearance.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

The sad part is that I would imagine a teacher, at some point for the sake of the majority of other students, has to let a few fall off the end, so to speak, because teachers logistically can't provide the one on one required for some students. Then you have to deal with the parents involvement, or lack of.

Not an option for my brother. I forget the type of teaching system they use, but it is basically a no-fail system. He has to evaluate each student at the beginning of the year, and then customize their curriculum somewhat to improve their skills, and as long as they improve, he can't fail them.

Last year he recommended failing 8 students, but his department head said no, and they all moved on to the next level.

Also, 10th grade is the first standardized math test in his state, and he teaches math to 10th graders. No matter what level of skill they have when they get to his class, he is tasked with making sure they do well on the standardized test! His pay and his job security are based upon 10 years of no-fail teaching philosophy culminating at his class. It is a no-win situation.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I think that is part of the No Child Left Behind policy. There are so many barriers to getting a good education these days, from students/parents and institutions that seem to spin in circles riding a downward spiral. There has to be some ideas, but I guess bringing them to fruition may be tough. Come on matrix technology, where we can just download the information directly to our brains.

What do guys think about Charter schools? How easy or hard is it to create and manage one?
edit on 11-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Wrong forum....
edit on 21-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join