It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnny Appleseed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I was thinking that many have predicted that soon things in the world are going to change. We have remote viewers, psychics and even web bots picking up on things. So I was thinking people could do a good deed by planting something. I was thinking that it would be good to plant some things around my town in secret. What I need to plant is something that is going to grow and provide food for people one day. It would probably be years from now anyway before anything would grow. I should have already started it, but I can still start and hope I can do some good yet. So what would be good to plant? I need something that will grow and provide food. I need something that isn't fussy and will grow well without any help. I think apples would work because of Johnny Appleseed, but what else would work?

Also would you do this? If more people did this it would help some. It might not help a lot but it might help one person. I might help a stranger somehow without knowing it. So what could I plant?

I planted a few avacado pits last year. Only one tree lived and it is doing pretty good. The others got too cold or something. I don't think this area is quite right for them, but I still have one tree doing ok so I want to keep trying. It is unseasonably warm here so maybe we can grow them now if we try.

I don't know how just planting the pits will work, since I won't know how they will pollinate each other or not. I just like avacados anyway and thought I'd plant the pits to see what would happen.

I want to save all the seeds from fruit I already eat and see if it will grow but also I want to buy some seeds from the nursery because I know those will grow.

What would be something that would be really good to plant and could live without much fuss?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
hi op
just look for a muddy overgrown patch
then just throw some potatoes and onions over it
i done that once and wen turning the soil over
i found...yeh onions and tats

sorry what i mean is
put some potatoes in a dark dry cuboard
wen they start rooting
thats wen you throw them
edit on 16-3-2012 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
In my opinion, you are better off planting stuff on property or land you own or have permission to use. Reason being I think you are wasting your time otherwise. Most government owned land is maintained, cut, treated with pesticides, etc., which would greatly diminish what will actually grow. Not to mention that anyone caught harvesting plants/food from government owned land can, in some areas, be prosecuted.

You have the right idea. I just think your effort would yield better results in a controlled environment. Otherwise I am afraid the effort won't be worth the reward.

But....it certainly can't hurt and is a better plan than people that aren't doing anything.

edit on 16-3-2012 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I like your plan.

What grows really good near a river, rather a small creek, this creek already has those tall stalks with the cotton looking thing , like a cotton corn dog on top... What other edible vegetation could grow there? Might need to make a field trip.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I like your idea as well. It seems you are one of the few that think of other people instead of yourself the entire time . I agree with planting apple trees. Other ideas are grape vines, and berrys including blackberries and raspberries. The berry vines will naturally populate. They will grow on their own but better beat the birds to them before they're gone!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Afraidnomore

Are you speaking of the cattail? You can pull them up, clean them and use in salads or eat raw. The top of the plant (the hot dog looking thing) can be broken up for use as tinder to start a fire.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Thanks, yes cattail.

I like the berry idea, and the vines could be used as protection for the smaller animals... Which will lead to bigger animals... Which I would prefer to eat... It's a win win... Unless you are in a densely populated urban area...

What about them, what should they do?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

What should who/what do? The people in urban areas or the animals? Sorry for my misunderstanding, it's been a long day!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Johnny Appleseed is a folk-lore based on the man John Chapman, who in the 1800's spent 10 years walking across America claiming land and planting apple tree groves. The groves were used to make hard apple cider (because trees planted with apple seeds don't grow the sweet apples the seeds came from, and instead grow bitter apples that old time folk used to make alcohol with) for settlers, and John Chapman actually sold these groves to the settlers.

This wasn't an act of good will, it was an act of business.

Just clearing up your history lessons.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the history lesson evil Santa, if I do this it will be for the betterment of mankind.

What do you guys suggest urban dwellers do to spread food around? Seed parks? Collect soil and put on the roofs then seed those? Once all the stores are looted do you suppose people may consume each other? Maybe they should get a fatty friend, just in case.... Joking, but still.

CX

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I love this idea, i do however agree that you have to be carefull about where you plant it, as the authorities manage public area and your hard work and good intentions will end up being destroyed.

Like i say though, i do like the idea. I read recently about a couple of guys that rescued a near dieing old tree, they pruned it year after year and brought it back to life, it now gives a lovely crop of apples that anyone can now help themselves to. It wasn't their three, just one next to a local school.

If people thought more about this, we wouldn't be living in such miserable looking places either ....i hear on the grapevine that someone around my area will this year be spreading random batches of meadow seed to brighten the place up.

Calv.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
People have don this before.
its called seed bombing.
( CID its ok! not that type of bombing)

find some abandoned land.
and plant stuff.
on some open grass land by me on the edges.
I have planted some bulbs.(flowers).
they are among trees so look beautiful.

the parks dont touch the grass by the trees.
so it is a good please.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Yes, people could plant on the roof tops and in parks but I think eventually, if things really got bad, the people in the urban areas would have to "head for the hills". I think this because there would not be enough food plots growing in the park or roof tops to support everyone and it could possibly get violent once word got out about your food source you have growing. Those in need of food would fight over it.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

We need to know the general area you are in to know what grows well there.

Squash, tomatoes, kale, collards, potatoes, berries... all reseed themselves each season depending on area.

If you're in the US then I suggest un-used BLM land, deeper in from where the forest road hits it. Also know your natural edibles and save yourself some work

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Hi jessieg it's a terrific idea but I would just like to add a warning.
Anything you plant has the potential to be a weed. This might not sound very serious, but all over the world many thousands of acres of good land have been decimated by (sometimes) well meaning people planting the wrong plants.
Do some research, find out what food plants are endemic to your area. Not only will these plants provide food for humans, but they will actually enhance the area because they were part of the original plant population and therefore the local food web for wildlife as well! They will out-perform introduced plants and need much less (sometimes zero) maintenance.
Try looking into endemic nut or fruit trees.

top topics

join