It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Are We Really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Science is changing our understandings of biology and genetics - and raising some important philosophical and ethical questions.

The human microbiome is a game-changer, alongside epigenetics.

We are human beings. Normally, one might take this to mean that, at least on a biological level, we are defined by our own genome. But living in and on the human body is an ecosystem of microorganisms that outnumber our own cells by at least a factor of ten. It is estimated that there are 100 times as many microbial genes as human genes associated with our bodies. Taken together, these microbial communities are known as the human microbiome. Recent technological and scientific advances, mainly in the field of metagenomics, are rapidly enriching our knowledge of the genomes and functions of many of these microbial communities.

The ultimate aim of much of this research is to discover how perturbations of the microbiome might be related to various diseases, including inflammatory bowel disease, asthma, and obesity. Other research is currently investigating the potential role of microbes in anxiety, depression, and autism. These findings have the potential to change the landscape of medicine. And they also have important philosophical and ethical implications.

Historically, science considered the microbial communities that exist in us and around us to be part of "the environment." Now, some scientists suggest " the microbiome may need to be thought of more as “a part of us” than as a part of the environment."

The human microbiome may need to be thought of more as “a part of us” than as a part of the environment.

Why? Because "the microbiome, on a species level, coevolved with the human genome and, on an individual level, is a unique and enduring component of biological identity."

Wotta concept. Way beyond Gaia.

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Good post.
Interesting point that we coevolved. They're more a part of us than the environment, but then we're a part of the environment.
We have so much to learn. Good post dude. I haven't got anything else to add as I don't understand the mechanics of it all.
S&F

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

They're more a part of us than the environment, but then we're a part of the environment.

Yes - seems we really are "all one."

I like it.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
TED Talk on Bacteria Inside of us - Part 1 of 2

This post reminds me of research I have done recently on bacteria inside of us...will post more videos shortly.. and my recent findings...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Discovery channel - What You Can't See DVD

store.discovery.com...

One of the episodes talks about a fish which is infected with bacteria that have taken over and control the fish.
No trailer online, but you can find this video series on MVGROUP.ORG or maybe one of the BitTorrent trackers.

The same thing happens to us...but we call them FEELINGS. My working theory is that all feelings are bacteria.
These feelings influence our subconscious and conscious behavior.. Feelings give us mood swings - as in bipolar..

There is a difference between BEing and FEELing.....

Compare: i AM happy/sad vs i FEEL happy/sad

I'll try to give a better explanation a little later...need to compile some more info here...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dontneedaname

Interesting stuff. S&

Looking forward to more.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Excellent post. This is a very interesting concept.

It seems that the more we learn, the more questions we raise.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So i wonder how much of you is you? Can you find you?
edit on 14-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Still compiling stuff here, but I will add that FEELINGS are stored independently of MEMORIES in our body/brain.
That I am 100% certain of. Not hard to verify for one's self. Just think of a traumatic/unpleasant experience in the past and realize how it doesn't "sting / hurt" as much, if at all, but the memory remains more/less very clear.

Now, for some the memory still is raw that still hurts, perhaps even more...but that is because certain behaviors reinforce the connected feelings....

Relates to the idea that -- "Time heals all wounds"

Time is erasing those unpleasant feelings, or rather our body realizes that "Feelings" are foreign invaders and kills them off as fast as possible. I can explain how this happens too...but I'll save that for a later post.

Having "no feelings" inside, does not mean we don't have emotions per se -- that arise from a sense of BEing...

Memories to me are more of a type of electrical signal perhaps related to neurotransmitters.not sure if anyone has ever quantified what IS a memory before....biologically speaking.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It would also apply in reverse to a "positive event", the positive feeling / buzz wears off, so we do the activity again to get another "hit." In many (all?) cases, DOPAMINE production relates to the buzz. Like eating food, doing coc aine / meth / other drugs. How does Dopamine relate to feelings, I need to give that more thought.

This also explains LOVE...which oscillates to hate/jealousy too. But more on that later too...

Now when we accomplish / do something that gives us a "deeper sense of satisfaction" that would be more akin to BEing happy / joyful, etc... what happens chemically from this, don't know yet. Related to SEROTONIN I think though and PINEAL GLAND activity though too.

INteresting doc to watch about the unknown effect of all the stuff we stick into our bodies is this:
Canada - CBC - Disappearing Male. One focus is on Bisphenol-A affecting our endocrine system, but it goes further...

vimeo.com...

www.cbc.ca...

Food affects mood too...and therein lies a clue about all this bacteria / feelings, etc.....BBC has some videos on Food and Mood. Can provide those if requested.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I like the thought of this, who we are. you are going at the perspective of bio, but none the less what a topic this can go on forever but the things we don't know turn in to philosophy. One thing can't be with out the other and yet we only sense the one, us. so who are we? what are we? we are a making as far as i can see.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I can shed some insights on the ILLUSION of the SELF = MAYA (yes, that Maya 2012... except from another tradition - Hindu). Words have multiple meanings... But, that is better explained with a webpage which delves into our right-left brain split......but first check these videos out...

Japanese Dream Recording Machine -- Michio Kaku ~ Mind Reading Advanced Technology

These videos will help explain what a memory is....but I need to rewatch them...several disciplines to correlate over here...which is one reason why "science" as we know it is faulty IMHO...too much specialization....and rigidity...but that is another topic altogether.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by conlget

so who are we? what are we? we are a making as far as i can see.

As in constantly becoming?

...It is all very interesting isn't it? And so much for stasis and absolutes.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dontneedaname

Thank you. VERY interesting stuff. S&

...several disciplines to correlate over here...which is one reason why "science" as we know it is faulty IMHO...too much specialization....and rigidity...but that is another topic altogether.

Agreed. ...But there's a lot of collaboration happening now, in a lot of fields - what's missing imho, is Open Access - if only to support cross-knowledge and promote MORE inter-disciplinary collaboration.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by conlget

so who are we? what are we? we are a making as far as i can see.

As in constantly becoming?

...It is all very interesting isn't it? And so much for stasis and absolutes.

As they say, there's nothing permanent other than change. I forgot the philosopher who said this but he said that we change every moment, every minute, every second.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by finalflash

The more 'things' change the more they stay the same. The knower of the changing 'things' never changes though because it is not a 'thing'.
The seer and knower of change is permanent.

new topics

top topics

join