It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race to the Bottom of the Sea

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Wow I'm tired. I looked at that picture and thought "Holy crap that trench is like 10 times deeper than the Earth is tall... Oh wait".

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
HAHA is Cameron working on the Abyss part 2

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Thank you for this posting star n flag to you. This is a positive ATS story that is stirring excitement inside me. I cannot wait for the action to begin and hope there is not one winner but both so my Bet is for both to succeed as we need both teams to survive IMHO as they both give us much pleasure watching their antics!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Great post. Cameron's sub seems more practical with 3 people on board and an escape pod. Branson's sub with a crew of only 1 and no escape pod.

Either way, I am rootin' for Branson.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
Wow I'm tired. I looked at that picture and thought "Holy crap that trench is like 10 times deeper than the Earth is tall... Oh wait".

Yeah I had to look at that twice myself

The Earth at the bottom just shows the location of the Mariana Trench.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

Glad you enjoyed the post. It is exciting to watch. Reminds me of the race to Climb Mount Everest or Land a Man on the Moon. It's funny how we are almost hardwired for exploration.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Did you know that the Mariana Trench is home to a massive underwater extraterrestrial base? You can see it on Google Earth Pro. More info and pictures in this new book released last week about StarGates:

edit on 2/29/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: gratuitous link removed

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Couple of updates:

Although tight lipped about the dive, James Cameron said this about his dive to the bottom of the sea:

He says he plans to spend six hours in the pitch-black waters on the ocean floor using remote arms to collect samples for research in marine biology, microbiology, astrobiology, marine geology and geophysics.

Wow, six hours compared to the 20 minutes of the first dive.

By the way, the X-Prize Foundation will award $10 million dollars to whoever gets to the bottom (Challenger Deep) first. As if these guys need it. Still, I wouldn't turn it down. Maybe they will flip it to another non-profit organization.

www.local10.com...

Also, one of the two men who originally made the first dive in 1960, U.S. Navy Lieutenant Don Walsh gives an audio interview discussing the dive.

“It’s amazing that no one has ever gone back,” Walsh says in a rueful voice.

Oceanographers learned to rely on robotic vehicles to probe the places that humans couldn’t go. But for true believers like Walsh .... there’s nothing like a human. “The ability of man to observe and modify his program on site is pretty important,” he says. “You can’t surprise an instrument.”

spectrum.ieee.org...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by galacticroundtable

Did you know that the Mariana Trench is home to a massive underwater extraterrestrial base?

If they find USOs or bases that would be a bonus! But are you sure you haven't been watching The Abyss too often?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Another update:

The National Post got it wrong, James Cameron will not be using a Triton built sub:

news.nationalpost.com...

Instead, Cameron will be using a unique craft designed and built over the last seven years. It's called the DEEPSEA CHALLENGER and according to one source it looks something like this:

This craft has a crew of one, and Cameron will be diving alone. When asked why he is diving alone he said "It wouldn't be any fun if somebody else got to go. We are born alone, and we die alone." Cameron has already made seven deep sea dives (e.g. the Titanic wreck), but never a solo dive.

Branson will not be piloting his craft, because he couldn't take his mommy with him

marketsaw.blogspot.com...

National Geographic has posted an interview with Cameron regarding the dive:

www.nationalgeographic.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join