It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible of Korean BBQ [Bulgogi/Kabli]: (everything I know about how to make it 'good' and 'your

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
* First off, we have to start with basics - Sugar (and acids) tenderizes meat, while salt TOUGHENS it (by withdrawing all the moisture via osmosis), and all good korean food boils down to good science... enough said.
** Second off, lets talk quality. Try to never use poor quality ingredients when making Korean BBQ (i.e. dont use SunLuck or Kikkomon or any other american brands) Always seek out a smaller asian (preferrably Korean) market, and when all else fails always, ALWAYS buy the most expensive spices/ingredients you can get, and look at where it comes from. Good Korean spices come from Korea, NOT China.
*** Now let's talk meat: typical bulgogi is always beef, and usually a fattier, flavorful cut; like skirt steak, flank steak or ribeye. Always cut these cuts along the bias, diagonally with the grain into managable pieces (2"x6" is typical). But bulgogi can be made from almost any cut of beef if you're clever and marinate long enough. Kalbi is bulgogi, but usually refers to a rib cut, and more specifically an end cut beef rib, and the thicker the better!
**** How to cook: An outside grille is preferrable, charcoal with some hardwood chips makes the best in my opinion, but an electric or table grille makes good bbq as well, and if you HAVE to, a cast iron or wok or nonstick pan will make passable bbq, just don't ask me over for dinner (psyche!)

Now for recipes:

Basic Beef Bulgogi:
2 lbs Skirt Steak (or whatever else you decide to settle on) cut along bias into roughly 2"x6-8" pieces
6-8 large cloves fresh garlic crushed finely
1 tb crushed fresh ginger
1 tb good quality sesame oil
1 tb roasted sesame seeds
3 tb brown sugar
2-3 tb low sodium soy sauce
2 tb H2O
2 green onions (or white or yellow onion), chopped fine

Take bias cut beef and place in a large coverable bowl (or large ziplock freezer bag) and add all ingredients EXCEPT soy sauce. Let sit in fridge for a minumum of 2 hours, overnight is preferred. 1 hour before cooking, add soy and integrate into meat mixture. When meat is ready, place on grille and cook on both sides to your desired taste (On a grille I like my skirt steak med-rare and try to serve it as soon as ready).
Serve HOT as soon as ready (or on large charcoal grille leave a foil covered stainless bowl on NON-coal side to keep cooked pieces hot until all is cooked and ready to serve). Serve with hot white rice, and possibly several Korean side dishes (like KimChee, Spinach Salad or Bean Sprout Salad).

Deluxe Beef Bulgogi:
2 lbs Skirt Steak (or whatever else you decide to settle on) cut along bias into roughly 2"x6-8" pieces
2 ts crushed roasted sesame powder (take 2 ts roasted sesame seeds and crush in mortar)
1 c pineapple juice (or Coca-Cola or Cherry Coke, or other desired flavorful ACIDIC sweet fruit juice [like guava]; this is where the MAGIC is, get bold and creative and try new things, please!)
2 green onions, chopped fine

Follow above cooking directions

Kalbi:
2 lbs End cut beef shortribs (the thicker the better, sometimes asian meat markets are only place to find this)
1 c pineapple juice (or Coca-Cola or Cherry Coke, or other desired flavorful ACIDIC sweet fruit juice [like guava]; this is where the MAGIC is, get bold and creative and try new things, please!)
2 green onions, chopped fine

The trick with Kalbi is marinate longer than 6 hrs (preferrably 12-36 hrs) especially if you find thick cut beef shortribs. Less sesame flavor, but MORE fruity sugary tenderizer, it is a better meat; thicker, and therefore needs more tenderizing.
Follow same cooking directions, but don't DON'T waste this meat on an electric grille or stovetop, charcoal is now your savior to flavor.

Spicy Pork Bulgogi:
2 lbs Pork loin (or southern style boneless shortribs) cut 1/8" thick and longish strips (like bulgogi)
5 large cloves fresh garlic crushed finely
1 ts good quality sesame oil
2 tb roasted sesame seeds
2 tb brown sugar
4 tb low sodium soy sauce
2 tb spicy Korean chili paste (kochujang or samjang)
1 tb spicy roasted Korean chili powder
2 green onions (or white or yellow onion), chopped fine

This time you want to stir fry in a wok (or cast iron), since pork is sweeter, lets moisture out. And since this is spicy, you want to reserve all the good juices and serve with the meat on top of rice. Just follow good judgement and make sure pork is thouroughly cooked. Serve with tasty, 'cooling' Korean side dishes like sigeumchi namul (spinach salad) or sukju namul (mung bean sprout salad).

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Thank you, Adashi!! Haven't been able to replicate. My daughter's crazy Korean mother can make it perfect, but we try to avoid her these days.

Bulgogi and Kimchi...and a hot Pepsi...don't forget the yaki-mandu...my life will never be the same.

Dog is kind of stringy though...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Thank you, Adashi!! Haven't been able to replicate. My daughter's crazy Korean mother can make it perfect, but we try to avoid her these days.

Bulgogi and Kimchi...and a hot Pepsi...don't forget the yaki-mandu...my life will never be the same.

Dog is kind of stringy though...

Exactly the mom's never teach you everything they know, that's why they always make it best, even the dog!

I honestly think Korean food is a conspiracy in itself. Visited my ex in Koreatown and we were at this great little bbq place and they wouldn't let me take home leftovers! I asked my ex WTH and she explains to me it's they are paranoid I'm going to reverse engineer their bbq! They are more secretive than the gov i swear its the truth!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The reverse engineering thing rings true when it comes to Korean BBQ.
I LOL every few minutes thinking about your no-take-out tale. Priceless.

With my Korean Ex, "IT" is never totally out of the question either. We can fuss on the phone, but get us together and BAM! What's up with that ha!!

edit on 21-2-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
The reverse engineering thing rings true when it comes to Korean BBQ.
I LOL every few minutes thinking about your no-take-out tale. Priceless.

I basically stuffed my face, I wasn't throwing away 4 star korean BBQ! Next time I know to line my pockets with large ziplock bags

You ever learn the trick where you order a ribeye first before the bulgogi and kabli? You use the scissors to cut out and save that triangular piece of fat off the ribeye, its got amazing flavor. You grab the tongs and rub it all over your grille as you cook to season it! Trust me it makes the bulgogi even better

With my Korean Ex, "IT" is never totally out of the question either. We can fuss on the phone, but get us together and BAM! What's up with that ha!!

ummmmm yes. And I dont care whats up with that just gimme gimme gimme

I'm just really lucky she taught me how to cook and don't hate me, I'll post a few of the side dish recipes too at some point.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

Can't wait for the side dishes! Went to Korea in Dec 2008 fell in love with Korean BBQ
Enjoyed the food and the experience of Korean BBQ as well. Went back to Canada and realized there were actually Korean BBQ restaurants available to try. Never got the chance to go to any of them unfortunately, I've moved from Canada recently and now that you have shared your recipe I won't need a restaurant to experience the Korean BBQ, I will just make it myself...Please don't forget the follow up with the side dishes

new topics

top topics

join