It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Multiplier technology, fascinating and intriguing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
reply to post by abecedarian

That is a cool RC, we have something very similar to that here at home. Im not sure if its the same principle as the Air Multiplier effect though. Looks more like a powered blade fan with the blades angled down.

Cool Vid

It is the same effect. If you think about it, where the downwards flowing air from the propeller impacts the body of the craft, it should deflect outwards where it should push laterally, not downwards to create lift. If the air weren't "sticking" to the body of the craft, the relatively small flaps that control its motion would be ineffective.

The coandă effect relates to how a fluid (which air can be considered as) tends to "stick" to a surface and follow it.

...is the tendency of a fluid jet to be attracted to a nearby surface....

The "air multiplier" uses the Coandă effect to get the air from its internal fan to travel along the inside of its 'hoop'. The fan within is a relatively high volume, low pressure pump. The air blown by it is dispersed around the ring and accelerated when it leaves the ring. The motion of this air creates a vacuum or venturi effect (Bornoulli's principle) that pulls additional air from behind the hoop through it.
edit on 2/8/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by scubagravy

From what I know about technology this is an awesome piece of equipment.

I am in agreement with most posters about the price being exorbitant.

Being a tinkerer and project person I can see many applications for the use.

Hovercraft for one or two, wind machine for a small movie company, as well as ventilation systems.

Like for bunkers and or any other hidden locations.

For hovercraft applications, search Avrocar and Aesir, or just "coanda effect" and add vehicle, aircraft, hovercraft craft or such to the search term.

The coanda effect is utilized by ventilation systems- were it not for the effect, air would not disperse as it does when discharged from a register.

What might be more impressive would be to use the effect to multiply airflow across a wind turbine.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Thankyou for your informative posts, i have now learned about the coanda effect, before i had no idea.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

ATS is always a source of inspiration for when I need to get my nerd on!

Thank you, this is randomly amazing stuff.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join