It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past or Future???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about what I would do if I had the ability to go to the past or the future and which I would choose if I only had 1 choice. I believe that we completely underestimate how advanced our ancestors were, which would lean me towards going into the past, but then I wonder what time period.

Would you want to go to the time of dinosaurs and see what was really going on back then?
Would you go back to the Roman era and see exactly how they were able to conquer countries?
Would you go back to the time of the Egyptian's and see exactly how they constructed the pyramids?
Would you maybe go back to the time of the Mayan's and see what their calender is all about?

Or

Would you want to go into the near future like maybe 2013 and find out what if anything happened?
Would you go to the distant future and find out how we progress, if we are still alive, in the future?
Would you go 100 years ahead, 1000 years ahead, 10000 years ahead, 100000 years ahead? Why?

What would you want to see or look for when you take this trip?

What would you take on this trip if you were limited to only what you could carry?

What would you try to accomplish by this trip? Amassing riches? Saving someone important? For Fun?

Please everyone give your feedback and let me know what you think.

Let me know what time period what you would take that you can carry and why you would go there...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkB4uSpeak

Sure Dinos were cool..

But I would go back to some key moments in my life, to see if I had made a different decision, how I would be today. That is something that would interest me. How the paths would change and what the results were

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Given the choice, I would choose the year 1939.

The world is on the verge of major change. technology, long held dormant by economic depression, is about to be set loose by various nations in the form of weaponry and other war applications. But when the war ends, the world is suddenly and forever changed.

I'd love to be there to watch the world so quickly subdued by TV... and the automobile industry lock into streamlining.

Then came the jet age, the rocket age and the space race.

I was there from the late 50s on... but I feel a connection to those years... a decade or so before when design was critical and innovation drove the marketplace. Free toasters when you open a bank account instead of being gigged for just using an ATM.

This was the golden age of the free market system, when capitalism was still based on the consumer and that market balancing to create an atmosphere of growth.

Housing was short but it was sold based on the ability of the buyer to buy... not a credit system that set people into debt for decades.

1939. In a heartbeat.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I would do whatever it is I could to bring my fiancee back from past her brink so she could have one shining bright moment of true happiness while alive.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
If you believe in human evolution, surely, you would want to go to the place in the future where humans had evolved into god-like entities such in Arthur C. Clarke's classic novel "Childhood's End."

Besides, dinos would eat your lunch with you being the container.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Given the choice, I would choose the year 1939.

The world is on the verge of major change. technology, long held dormant by economic depression, is about to be set loose by various nations in the form of weaponry and other war applications. But when the war ends, the world is suddenly and forever changed.

I'd love to be there to watch the world so quickly subdued by TV... and the automobile industry lock into streamlining.

Then came the jet age, the rocket age and the space race.

I was there from the late 50s on... but I feel a connection to those years... a decade or so before when design was critical and innovation drove the marketplace. Free toasters when you open a bank account instead of being gigged for just using an ATM.

This was the golden age of the free market system, when capitalism was still based on the consumer and that market balancing to create an atmosphere of growth.

Housing was short but it was sold based on the ability of the buyer to buy... not a credit system that set people into debt for decades.

1939. In a heartbeat.

I was basically there in 1939 but not very cognizant at the time. In 1939, whole populations of countries were pawns of the elite, not quite so much today. Moving forward to the start of the UFO era, I was there. Now that was exciting to be on the forefront of thinking about space travel and ETs. (And I'm still here slugging it out with skeptics!)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
If i were rich and could take a doctor and a modern pharmacy, I'd think about Pre WW1 Paris or Buenos Aires.
edit on 2-2-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Too many choices!!! I'd want to do so many, how to pick just one? I think I would have liked to try being a cowboy and living on the open range. It would be incredible to be an apprentice to Leonardo DaVincci. Or a Hopi living on the rim of a canyon. Or be alive at the time the Terracotta Warriors were created in China, to know what they were intended for! That would be so awesome! Wait a minute.... I think we maybe do get this chance to pick, when we are in-between lives, waiting to be reborn... At least I hope so.

But if so... When does the loop end? Infinite lives, infinite experiences... Shoot. Only problem is, they take so long to go through for the full experience. Wish you could do "test runs" of another while you are still in one. Oh wait, that might be dreams.

Hmm, that was kind of an "Aha" moment, there, for me. I'm probably just tired. Very cool idea to play with!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think I would definitely go back in the past! Probably to the time when Egyptians were building the pyramids, or when the Maya were building Chichen Itza, or to the time when Pumapunku was built ...... just to see how they did it, and to find out WHY they built such large structures.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well if im being honest, i would look up the numbers for a couple of big lottery wins and go into the past. However, if i wasnt such a greedy bas*@#d then i would love to go about 150 years into the future to see how far we have advanced "technologicly"

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I love this thread. I think along these lines every night before I go to sleep.

If I were to choose to go back in time I would like to see how the civilizations in ancient times built the structures that still bewilder us today. Mainly the ones in South America but also the pyramids. I would make sure to leave some kind of record that would be discovered in the future to put an end to the debate of whether aliens helped those people are not.As far as what I would take with me I think it would be a lot of survival manuals and a weapon with lots of ammo when you consider how brutal those civilizations were.

I would be very tempted to go 10,000 years into the future. I wonder if the human race will even be around at that time considering how destructive we are to this planet. I think it would either be a utopia for the human race or it will be a barren wasteland. It would be a gamble going into the future but I think it would be worth it. Again I would take survival manuals a weapon with lots of ammo which may be useless but better safe than sorry.

These would be my choices because of I do not think we can change the past if it were possible to travel back in time otherwise if we could change our own past I would go back and change my own past because Lord knows I have plenty of regrets. But I don't think that's what you're talking about.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Ancient Greece. They seem pretty modern for the times they were in. I would like to go back and party with the socialites. Heavy drinking and a few dead slaves in the end, I imagine...

new topics

top topics

join