It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Nations have signed SOPA's Big Brother ACTA, 10.000s People on the Streets in Poland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
www.pcworld.in

The agreement seeks to enforce intellectual property rights and combat online piracy and illegal software. But opponents of ACTA claim it goes far beyond the U.S.' doomed SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) legislation and encourages ISPs to police the internet without any legal safeguards.

SOPA is being revised after receiving broad criticism. The ACTA agreement, meanwhile, has been mired in controversy from the beginning due to secrecy imposed by the U.S. and worries that it may not uphold E.U. rules on data privacy.

22 EU Countries signed the bill, and ...

Outside the E.U., the agreement has so far been signed by the U.S., Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore and South Korea.

To make it clear, this bill REQUIRES that an internet service provider is monitoring actual traffic and private data, otherwise they would not know what someone is downloading.

Why is this HUGE?

First....as you can read in the article, the US has done this IN SECRET (again!) fearing that they would meet opposition by EU countries due to VERY strict privacy laws here.

For example, Germany is very, very paranoid in all matters of privacy, it's the country which freaked out over privacy issues in Google street view and the country who sees "Google Analytics" (a widely used tool for gathering website statistics) as threat for privacy.

HOWEVER - seems not to have a problem signing a bill like ACTA which would enable ISPs to spy on their users?

As reported, 10.000 are on the streets in Poland protesting this bill.

Very recently, the US also made secret deals with Spain's new government, bribing them and telling them to enforce what is called the "SINDE" law which is very similar to SOPA.

www.cbsnews.com...

torrentfreak.com...

Only through "leaked cables" it was revealed that the US is involved imposing this very invasive law - to other countries.

While people in the states were protesting SOPA - they are quietly, candidly and secretly imposing those bills to other countries. SOPA - A big distraction to conceal of what is really going on!
edit on 27-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jan 27 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
How unfortunate. One has to ask himself, if this is for the supposed good then why try to be so secretive? Well the only solution is because it is not for the greater good of us; it is for the good of a select few. What a world we live in, when one group of humans feel superior enough to force another group of humans into giving up all natural rights.
I see this a one of the many stepping stones in place or soon to be put into place.
Thanks OP.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Bad news everywhere...we all just gonna assume that everything is connected? Are we gonna take to the streets screaming "OUR LIVES ARE ONE GIANT CONSPIRACY"?

We're brains in jars. Our political leaders are programs being projected on our neurons. Our worlds are a holographic illusion. Your lives are all a lie. And the best part...you have no way of escaping this virtual prison, nor confirming it is indeed a prison.

How's that for a conspiracy?

Seriously...chill out. Sit back, relax, have a cup of tea, and think clearly about what's going on here. Don't jump to conclusions every time you watch CNN or read an article about questionable behavior.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Excuse me, I'm slow, the US has already SIGNED IT!?!?!?!?!?!

WTH?

Did I read that right?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Looks like SOPA was a distraction. It seems they use distractions now for prostests, and the solution is so simply. Bring them to their knees. Boycott all their products and set up local businesses, grass roots. Even change the currency. Deal in something else. Bring them to their knees.
edit on 27-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Welcome to the gobalist movement, folks. This is what you get when you expect the government to take care of you. They will...at the cost of your freedom. Now, go be a good little welfare rat and sit on you couch and watch American Idol. If you get bored, feel free to lobby your Senator or Representative for more gun control, so that nobody will ever have a chance to fight back.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
How can the US sign it?

It's not valid!

This is America!

We're different!

(I'm talking to a brick wall, aren't I?)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Of course the U.S. can sign it. The Constitution is no longer valid, since the U.S. is firmly in bed with the U.N. The U.N. now makes our laws. First, it started with "Free Trade Agreements", and now we're firmly in the grasp of the globalists. Once they have your individual liberty, the chains will come out to keep you there.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
reply to post by beezzer

Of course the U.S. can sign it. The Constitution is no longer valid, since the U.S. is firmly in bed with the U.N. The U.N. now makes our laws. First, it started with "Free Trade Agreements", and now we're firmly in the grasp of the globalists. Once they have your individual liberty, the chains will come out to keep you there.

Didn't even know we lost a war.

So we're supposed to bow to UN demands?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Excuse me, I'm slow, the US has already SIGNED IT!?!?!?!?!?!

WTH?

Did I read that right?

Yes by Obama around 2010 i believe.

top topics

join