It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See What Lies Beneath Stonehenge!! New Google Tool Shows Massive Potential

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Past Horizons website link

An article on the Past Horizons website has revealed a potentially awesome new Google Earth add-on called Google Under Earth: Seeing Beneath Stonehenge. The program will allow users to see layers of real archaeology beneath the Stonehenge site and its surrounding areas.

There is a video in the link provided which demonstrates exactly what Google Under Earth is capable of.

The big picture though is a bit more appealing to me, Dr Kate Welham touched on the further possibilities for the new program.

Archaeological scientist Dr Kate Welham, project leader at Bournemouth University, explained that the project could also be the start of something much larger:

“It is envisaged that Google Under-the-Earth: Seeing Beneath Stonehenge could be the start of a new layer in Google Earth. Many of the world’s great archaeological sites could be added, incorporating details of centuries’ worth of excavations as well as technical data from geophysical and remote sensing surveys in the last 20 years.” she said.

If the data is not tampered with and remains unbiased, then we could get some really interesting data on sites such as the Giza Pyramids in Egypt, the tunnel networks beneath these and other pyramids, Area 51 (though i severly doubt that area would be activated), Germania, Atlantis?

Defintely one to watch

EDIT TO ADD: Watching the video again, perhaps Google Under Earth will more just be a visual database of sorts for previous archaeological digs. Great for educational purposes!

edit on 24-1-2012 by srsen because: .

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
An image from the link's embedded video:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
lol if they had that i would be searching the whole world everyday

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
Past Horizons website link

An article on the Past Horizons website has revealed a potentially awesome new Google Earth add-on called Google Under Earth: Seeing Beneath Stonehenge. The program will allow users to see layers of real archaeology beneath the Stonehenge site and its surrounding areas.

There is a video in the link provided which demonstrates exactly what Google Under Earth is capable of.

The big picture though is a bit more appealing to me, Dr Kate Welham touched on the further possibilities for the new program.

Archaeological scientist Dr Kate Welham, project leader at Bournemouth University, explained that the project could also be the start of something much larger:

“It is envisaged that Google Under-the-Earth: Seeing Beneath Stonehenge could be the start of a new layer in Google Earth. Many of the world’s great archaeological sites could be added, incorporating details of centuries’ worth of excavations as well as technical data from geophysical and remote sensing surveys in the last 20 years.” she said.

If the data is not tampered with and remains unbiased, then we could get some really interesting data on sites such as the Giza Pyramids in Egypt, the tunnel networks beneath these and other pyramids, Area 51 (though i severly doubt that area would be activated), Germania, Atlantis?

Defintely one to watch

EDIT TO ADD: Watching the video again, perhaps Google Under Earth will more just be a visual database of sorts for previous archaeological digs. Great for educational purposes!

edit on 24-1-2012 by srsen because: .

I did try to download it but my antivirus caught it as a potential threat. Is this app even safe?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'd search my backyard

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

This is a good look, so S & F from me. Incredible stuff available, makes
me want to see the things Google so cleverly hides from us intentionally...
www.wired.com...

new topics

top topics

join