It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FileSonic has disabled file sharing in wake of Megaupload takedown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

FileSonic has disabled file sharing in wake of Megaupload takedown

arstechnica.com

Some filesharing sites are reining in their services in the aftermath of the recent high-profile shutdown of Megaupload. FileSonic has disabled all file sharing functionality on its website, restricting access so that users may only download their own files.
RapidShare, which is one of the leading file locker providers, told us last week that they aren't concerned about a raid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I went ahead and posted this article since it has news about other websites in addition to filesonic & upload.to

I've got a list of various sites that have started taking measures ever since megaupload was taken down:

MegaUpload/MegaVideo
Closed.

FileServe
Deleting multiple files. Closed affiliate program.

FileJungle
(Owned by FileServe) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

UploadStation
(Owned by FileServe) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

FileSonic
(Owned by Fileserve)
Can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

VideoBB
Closed affiliate program.

Uploaded.to
Banned USA IP addresses.

FilePost
Started suspending accounts with infringing material (doing what Hotfile did)

VideoZer
Closed affiliate program.

4shared
Deleting multiple files.
-------------------------------------------------

As you can see, it isn't just FileSonic disabling their file sharing, or upload.to blocking all USA IPs that is concerning, but the many other sites that are blocking USA IPs, disabling affiliate programs, or looking to delete files and block sharing entirely.

This is what the fear of MU being taken down has done to them, even those that don't enable piracy like megaupload was prone to do.

To be honest, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Rapidshare says they aren't concerned about being raided and closed, but they also make money off of filesharing, so I wouldn't be too sure.

The only file sharing site I trust right now is mediafire. I'd suggest using that if you need to upload anything, because most of these sites are going down quick.

The start of 2012 is looking pretty grim for the internet.

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well when I am banned from any website, no matter the content, it goes against everything the net stands for. Putting a price on "intellectual property" itself is ridiculous but thats just me. Owning thoughts is a funny concept to me as we will go nowhere with that mentality in mind. I see where people come from though, gotta pay those bills.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Lost my affiliate program with Filesonic today. All gone and no more sharing. Ridiculous. Pissed.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon
Lost my affiliate program with Filesonic today. All gone and no more sharing. Ridiculous. Pissed.

Yeah, it's bad.
I know more than a few people that relied on affiliate programs from services like filesonic & fileserve for basic stuff like paying the server fees to keep their website running.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more than a few small websites close because of this, almost like a domino effect.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Destiny Of Souls

the ripple efect
no one wants to deal with the usa
this is lunacy a whole industry destroyed by another industry,
yes they were juxaposed but WOW

this will be bad real bad if other "content providers" are hit too

xploder

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
From very bad to worse, see where this is leading now people, dont you ?! It'll begin with the U.S and spread worldwide like Fukushima radioactive leaks this Web Censoring attempt. Thus, i urge each and everyone in age to vote to contact a congressman and tell him how you feel about it.

2012 will be the year of the fight against censorship, the picture is crystal clear now.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

join