It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bioterror fears halt research on mutant bird flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Scientists who created a potentially more deadly bird flu strain have temporarily stopped their research amid fears it could be used by terrorists.

In a letter published in Science and Nature, the teams call for an "international forum" to debate the risks and value of the studies.

US authorities last month asked the authors of the research to redact key details in forthcoming publications.

A government advisory panel suggested the data could be used by terrorists.

Biosecurity experts fear an altered, more contagious form of the virus could spark a pandemic deadlier than the 1918-19 Spanish flu outbreak that killed up to 40 million people.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
oops hit send without writting anything, give me 5 mins......

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
That's the most sane thing I've heard in a long time.

Not only should they redact details, they should burn the notes and destroy whatever samples they have. Creating deadly viruses in the name of research is playing with fire. In this age of world wide information, even unpublished results can become public knowledge in a matter of days. That information in the hands of anyone capable of reproducing the virus and intent on using it as a weapon could be devastating.

Just as there has been a general agreement to limit the production of nuclear weapons, I think there should be an agrement to halt research on deadly virus strains.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Yeah sane......
Develop a super bug .............then pause research before you find a cure !
Which was the point of mutating the stain in the first place

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Or....it will take months to produce the cure and distribute it to the people of thier choice before they do false flag accident

Hey, this is a conspiracy site

(Yeah , I watched Contagion last night ).
edit on 22-1-2012 by Jerisa because: note

top topics

join