It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day…' Homework Asks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Judging by the neckbeard in your avatar i'm assuming your ok with slavery and beatings.
When stereotypes continue to live up to their legend , can we just call it fact ?

Do you see the problem with what you posted? I also do not believe this to be appropriate curriculum for small children in an elementary school, as there are PLENTY of viable alternatives that make the question less offensive. I am not sure many people would actually be "offended" by this, but most would judge it to be wrong.

It is not politically correct, therefore it is probably not acceptable to society. But, even disregarding this idea, this is morally incorrect as well. The reason being that it obviously is not being presented to teach history to the children. It has ZERO context other than slavery. If there were more context, and more explanation from which a different conclusion could be drawn, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this...But as I said, this is math, and there are plenty of viable alternatives, such as Raul and the oranges as mentioned earlier.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It sounds as if they are teaching math. Albeit, elementary level maths (given they are elementary students), but math none-the-less.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
this is disgusting
no if ands or buts

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42
reply to post by gwydionblack

Dude.....you have to at least admit this is in bad taste.

Many other examples could have been used.

red cars vs. blue cars

walnuts that fell off the tree vs. walnuts still on the tree

slavery can be taught.....but not in MATH class.

"Kiesha" has 6 kids and no husband; the state pays her $238.00 /month per child.her expenses are $2,000.00/month What is "Kiesha"s yearly gross? (extra credit):Should she have more children? At what point does Kiesha "break even"?????????

The "math" question was clearly over the top.. As is the more obvious racism in the above...
edit on 8-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

red cars vs. blue cars

"Kiesha" has 6 kids and no husband; the state pays her $238.00 /month per child.her expenses are $2,000.00/month What is "Kiesha"s yearly gross? (extra credit):Should she have more children? At what point does Kiesha "break even"?????????

The "math" question was clearly over the top.. As is the more obvious racism in the above...

I don't think that question should be considered racism, more like realism!!!! Sure the slave question was in bad taste but oh well!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
this is incredible! in this day of our global community,and our proclaimed 'love' of or fellow man........!
i'm scottish and i'm pretty sure i can convert this into a british math problem.
in a poor oppressed scotish village of 100 'peasants' where sacked by 1000 british soldiers,how many english would one scott have to kill to save their village?
(this math problem works for native americans,irish,indians(from India), etc.....
disturbing at best

good post though,wakes people up,no?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
i just replied to your thread with my usual sardonic humor,because i think this method of 'teaching' is atrocious and wrong,but i was scrolling thru some of the replies and was astonished at some of the posts that this was just a math question.in grase 3 they should be learning reading,comprihesion,music, art & the like.
like i said,i'm scottish,and if i was asked a 'math' question like if 5 englishmen bleated at me as though i were a sheep,how long would it take me to go birzerk and knock them all out!
i can't imagine a young black child bringging that homework home!
they would be someone knocked out!
i also liked the hose picking peaches comment someone made. same sh$#@t different pile!
my kids watched martin luther king on the internet,and i taught them that no man is better than another,no matter what tribe,or clan they are from.
please humans,think! love!
peace on earth

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWax11

OMG! are you serious!? how many toothless slackjawed white trash jerry sringer guests does it take to figure out who of the 29 guys she banged belongs to her 8 children!!!!!
and which one them gonna pay the backrent on the trailer home!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
I wonder what the reaction would be if the question read:

"If six Jews went into the gas chamber and two was left outside, how many Jews in total?"

Clearly there is a huge difference between denying ignorance and just plain good taste hey?

Oh sir, sir, I know this one!

The answer is NONE because there was no holocaust and this is a trick question.
www.zundelsite.org...

Lucky I'm not in Poland or Germany giving this answer.
I would be tossed straight in the clink (in spite of all the evidence
given in the link - you have to wonder why Germany and the Germans
are not up in arms and screaming about this damning evidence of holocaust
fakery from the rooftops!)

To the Op: There is an agenda here. Using these completely unnecessary and
dark terms to phrase simple maths problems for kids is illogical and twisted
to any decent mind.
Brainwash and condition them when they are young - it's the best time!

Are the children being prepared for a certain, envisioned future?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWax11

red cars vs. blue cars

I don't think that question should be considered racism, more like realism!!!! Sure the slave question was in bad taste but oh well!!!

C'mon;I was reaching pretty hard there; but I thought plotting a graph with the "intercepts" would've really been out of bounds!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

You are right about Jerry Springer! It's not a racist thing it's just a real thing.....kinda like Keisha and her kids! So are they both true or just stereotypes?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Good Grief! The average 8th grader is having enough trouble dealing with 2 + 2 . Then the slavery issue has to be thrown in? He can't possible think of the answer to the equation for trying to figure out why there are slaves.
Why do they just 'have' to know about slavery at such a tender age? Let them be innocent children, at least for a little while, ha ha....if there will ever be possible in these times we live in.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

red cars vs. blue cars

That was super cute what you did there. Let me guess the next problem. "If John works hard and pays his taxes to feed Kiesha's kids..."

Many people in your family named Kiesha?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is an issue that should affect all of us, around the world, not just in this country and is an indication of some of the ideas that refuse to go away. It is not that slavery did not exist, as it did, or that the holocaust did not happen, as it did, or that the genocides that occur today do not happen, as they do, it is that the past is not allowed to heal. Questions and topics that are brought up like this, are often done in the best intentions, however, the timing is quite terrible and often done at the worst possible time.

This is one of those times, for several reasons, one is that the hurts and wrongs of the past have never really healed, too many tend to bring up a time long gone to either hurt or use to gain advantage over the other, and that there is a major election about to happen, where one of the candidates is an African American, and what does that say to the children or even their parents? If anything it was done in bad tastes and ultimately, the school district, and especially the teachers should be punished for this. The past needs time to heal, too many people use it as a crutch to blame for their choices today, and this only adds fuel to that fire, that should have been extinguished so long ago.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Maybe I was just a smart kid, or ignorant to the questions - but I was able to understand the difference between questions in school, no matter the subject, and what reality might be.

"John has 40 candy bars. If he at 31 candy bars, how many candy bars does John have left?"

Does this question promote the idea that it is fine for children to eat 31 candy bars? Not only that, but isn't it also promoting the idea that only males are allowed to eat candy bars since John is a masculine name?

Using the logic that some of you are using to assume this is some kind of promotion for slavery or family beatings, this is obviously the case. Why is it alright for some ridiculous problems but not others?

Honestly, I could care less if a school told kids directly that "Slavery is great!". That is why parents are supposed to supplement children's education with a dose of reality, and if there is such a problem with the schools indoctrination techniques, then why the hell did parents willingly send them to a known indoctrination institution anyway?

If I had a dollar for every piece of "factual" information I was told in school that I debunked afterwards, I'd be able to make a healthy living on that knowledge alone.

Simple solution to all of this - keep better track of yours kids and the knowledge you subject them to. The only way they are being indoctrinated is if you ignore it and don't follow up with the responsibilities of being a parent.

reply to post by k1k1to

Not sure what you mean by "my checkpoint" but fair enough.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kafternin

red cars vs. blue cars

That was super cute what you did there. Let me guess the next problem. "If John works hard and pays his taxes to feed Kiesha's kids..."

Many people in your family named Kiesha?

No; that was out and out racist stereotyping to emphasize a point and get an (omg! oh no you di' in't) chuckle . I debated hitting "reply" ...but I'm embarassed it came from my keyboard...I know better even as a joke....I'm sorry...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I'm right with you on your train of thought here man.

People are too busy bitchin' about what they feel is wrong and don't spend enough time trying to find a solution to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join