It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World War 3 to be fought over water?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

www.tibet.com...

As neighboring countries find themselves drawn into unwanted disputes over ever shrinking transboundary river systems, Tibet is poised to become a major international flashpoint, said Mrs. Danielle Mitterrand, Former First Lady of France, in a press statement issued on 8 June.

Speaking to reporters in Agen, southern France, Mrs. Mitterrand said that war over oil is well on the way to becoming a thing of the past, but that war over water is likely to break out in different parts of the world.

Mrs. Mitterrand is not the first person to raise a specter of war over water. It is the subject of hundreds of scholarly papers and conferences, as indeed it has been the worry of environmentalists over much of the past two decades. A former senior president of the World Bank predicted famously that the next World War will be over water.

The article goes on to mention that the scarcity of water in northern China is becoming a big issue for the Communist Party and there are plans on the drawing-board to re-direct rivers that flow through China towards India northward.

I remember seeing this mentioned a couple years ago, but the impact on India and/or any other surrounding countries was never mentioned. I also haven't been able to find any information on whether this project has gotten off the drawing-board or if it was just a "pipe dream" as it were.

How would India and the UN respond if China started diverting water headed towards India to northern China? I certainly hope China would give in to political pressure since they are dependent on the global marketplace and trade sanctions would hurt more than redirecting parts of the Yangtze would help.

join