It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Movies Thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

The Guy Ritchie films are probably the best known outside the UK.

Whilst both of them are definately great movies my personal favourites are Trainspotting, Cass and Human Traffic.
I really recommend watching all the films I mentioned but if I had to pick only three it would be them.

If anyone outside the UK has seen any of them or intends to see them I'd appreciate some feedback.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Two of the greatest films that many have never seen.

Memento (2000)
Written By Jonathon Nolan & Christopher Nolan
Directed By Christopher Nolan

otnemem ←[color=8C8C8C]Yes, it's written backwards. There is a reason for that.

If you have not seen Memento, watch it twice, and pay attention.

Blue Velvet (1986)
Written & Directed By David Lynch
LynchNet

P.S. 'Hobo With A Shotgun'
Watched it last night. It was not easy. It is very cheesey.
I just can't really handle that Rodriguez-style of gore.

I will admit that it did get a little better, but it was hard to continue after the first 10 minutes. That opening scene is ridiculous. I won't give away much, but the dad and 2 sons are horrible actors.

..... and Barbed wire? Smooth slice. No bones.
Just an extremely smooth straight cut, with barbed wire lmao.

edit on 11/26/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
P.S. 'Hobo With A Shotgun'
Watched it last night. It was not easy. It is very cheesey.
I just can't really handle that Rodriguez-style of gore.

I will admit that it did get a little better, but it was hard to continue after the first 10 minutes. That opening scene is ridiculous. I won't give away much, but the dad and 2 sons are horrible actors.

..... and Barbed wire? Smooth slice. No bones.
Just an extremely smooth straight cut, with barbed wire lmao.

haha, yes indeed it is cheesy, but that's the point. A movie that ends up cheesy when it is trying to be serious is a bad movie, but a cheesy movie that ends up serious tends to be good.

In hindsight, maybe it wasn't such an amazing film as I first thought (I tend to be excited after watching a movie for the first time).

Here's another for the list though:

Breakfast At Tiffany's, starring Audrey Hepburn (1961). This movie is extra good if you happen to be close friends with a girl that is just like the main character in this movie (which I happen to be). This movie is actually pretty deep when it comes to understanding yourself, and trying to understand another. We all wear masks, right?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
yeah cheesey works sometimes. if it didn't Ben Stiller would be out of a job

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I recently saw two older movies that I really enjoyed. "The Last of the Dogmen" (I think that's the title) with Tom Berringer. About a lost tribe of Native Americans and "The Songcatcher" really good movie especially if you like bluegrass music. The Appalachian scenery in The Songcatcher is amazing.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

So glad someone mentioned Trainspotting...it's actually free on Hulu right now if anyone has a couple extra hours

www.hulu.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Pi

Lost Highway

The Ninth Gate

Ip Man

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Boogie Nights, Natural Born Killers, Crash, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Ray, Being John Malkovich, Magnolia, Walk the Line, Good Fellas...

That's all I got...I know some were mentioned already.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Brassed Off - very well made British film from about 1996, about the mining community in the Thatcher years.

Best film I have seen for a few years - Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
I cannot recommend it enough - the DVD is out on the 12th Dec. I don't go to the cinema often but I was glad I did for this one...

I echo the other UK gangster films - Snatch and Lock Stock very good.

This is England - very good film as well.

As far as funny films - probably the funniest in the past 20 years for me is the Hangover. Genuine tears of laughter when I first watched it.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm a massive Korean movie fan and am still amazed at the quality of their movies and that I can rank most of them above any great hollywood or English production. Here's a small list of movies that I found amazing. In no particular order.

Oldboy -Korean
Peppermint Candy -Kor
All About Eve
Oasis -Kor
Castaway on the Moon -Kor
The War of the Roses
Now Voyager
LA Confidential
The Chaser -Kor
Ben Hur
Planet of the Apes (Chuck Heston version)
The Unjust -Kor
Welcome to Dongmakgol -Kor
Gladiator
The Host -Kor (on telly tonight in UK, film4 at 11.40pm, if you haven't seen it stay up and watch, or record it).

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Nice I have all of those. Love football hooligan movies, Have you seen Awaydays?

Alright amateur hour is over. I'm not going to talk about american history x or donnie darko or some tarantino movie that everyone has seen 9 million times but still gets thought of as 'indie'. $&*# just got real If you don't like subtitles or movies without CGI you might want to skip this.

Swordsmen AKA Wuxia (2011)
What: Kung Fu, Mystery, Noir

More mystery than action with odd dashes of humour.

In China they eat dogs AKA I Kina Spiser De Hunde (1999)
What: Crime, Comedy

Often billed as a Danish lock, stock. It ends up being darker.

Calamari Union (1985)
What: Comedy

About a bunch of dudes named Frank traveling to Eira.

Pitch (1997)
What: Documentary, Comedy

A must have for Kenny Vs. Spenny fans. Might tide you over while you hope Single White Spenny doesn't get another season while Triumph of the Will does.

A room for Romeo Brass (1999)
What: Drama

Bleak yet touching. Maybe It will keep us busy while we wait for This is England '88. One more week, one more week.

Yor Hunter from the future (1983)
What: So bad it's amazing

Clearly the best movie ever made... Ever.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
One of my favorites:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Great Choices Freeborn, I will add a couple of my favorite British Movie's to your list

Dead Man's Shoes.

In the Hands of the Gods.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Great Choices Freeborn, I will add a couple of my favorite British Movie's to your list

Dead Man's Shoes.

In the Hands of the Gods.

I havent seen In the Hands of the Gods yet I'll have to check that out.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
My favorite movies number in the multi-thousands, as I am a movie fan. In the past week alone I've watched between 3 and 5 movies a day (my computer was in the shop, shhhhh).
My list of what not to see is much shorter.
- DO NOT SIT THROUGH VIDEODROME - I don't think it was good when it was new....
- The other one not to see was a sequel to Behind Enemy Lines. Possibly the most recent (4th one) but it was so bad I blocked it out and can't remember.... I think the family made me watch it because there was a wrestler in it - if that helps

My #1 Reason for posting is to thank everyone for their input - I've got lots of movies added to my netflix queue now
Yay!!

If you put a gun to my head however, on this day, at this second, if there is any movie you MUST SEE is.......

(insert drumroll here)

Originally posted by wigit
Oldboy -Korean

(insert applause here)

I recommend
- - - you see it BEFORE the remake comes out
- - - that you go into it without reading any spoilers, otherwise it will not have the same effect
- - - you bite the bullet and READ the subtitles. There are a few things missed in the english dubbing.

And while I do normally hate remakes of any movies, I'm looking forward to seeing what Spike Lee does with it, and praying they don't screw it up (since most people won't see the original, they'll wait for the remake).

If you're really interested, you can find my top 10 ATS related movies here

top topics

<< 1   >>

join