It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT can now see through concrete walls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I always wondered when I was going to get my inspector gadget like x-ray vision.

How about the implications to our privacy? I see the military uses, but how will this tech be used against the general populace? Am I just being paranoid?

Either way, this tech is awesome and I thought I should share.

Up there with invisibility, teleportation, and being able to cancel mid-season TV breaks, x-ray vision is one of the most sought after superpowers. In the mind’s eye, the ability to see through clothes has a veritable smorgasbord of litigious applications — but in the real world, especially in a military context, being able to see through walls would give soldiers an immense advantage… And that’s exactly what the MIT Lincoln Laboratory has managed to do.

A lil extra information for us less knowledgeable regarding the topic.

If you’re an armchair physicist, you’re probably wondering ‘why microwaves?’ Longer radio waves penetrate walls much better — that’s why television and radio signals can traverse hundreds of miles, while your WiFi router has all the power of a walnut — but they also require a much larger transmitter and receiver. Charvat and Peabody wanted something that could actually be used in warfare, and at 8 feet wide their creation could be mounted on the back of an army Hummer.

Source

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Old news they have been able to do better than that foe many years

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

New to me and maybe some others. Here's a video:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Can they see through cloths and underware as well ?

edit on 18-10-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

You can do that at home already...infrared photography

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join