It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pirate Bay Goes Down Following Legal Pressure

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by andy06shake

Like I said, it doesn't bother me one bit. It's illegal and I think it's immoral but it's not like committing rape or anything. However, I do fully support individuals and entities protecting their copyright because if I were in their position, I'd feel justified in doing the same and I would expect the law to be on my side. I don't agree with the absurd cases brought against illegal downloaders having to pay millions for downloading an album or whatever but they have do a right to take appropriate steps to block illegal content online. I think that people should be straight up and say the reason they do it is because they can't be bothered to pay rather than making excuses about overpaid actors/artists/anti-big business or whatever.

As a european from scandinavia i have absolutely no moral problems with downloading from there.
I am for example a fan of science fiction series and other series that arent imported here. The only way for me to watch my favorite tv series is by breaking the law. There are absolutely no tv channels i can legally get that offers these series and tv industry themselves stand in the way for a legal streaming or downloading service.
I would happily pay a few bucks for using a legal service, but as it is now i got no choice.
The only stuff they import and air on tv here is mainstream stuff like CSI, two and half men and reality tv crap.

It is the industry itself shooting themselves in their own leg.
Also several studies have shown that people who download even music is more likely to actually buy music.

When i really enjoy a series that i have downloaded i often buy the dvd set if released here anyways just to support the series i like.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
I hate torrents anyway, i don't use that site. I use direct downloads.

Lol, what is the difference between a direct download and a torrent at 1100kbps?

Either way I'm maxing out my connection, and have episodes of my tv shows that do not air here, in minutes.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

dexter was leaked 2 weeks ago, season 6 episode 1 has been out online for some time.

Some people complained about it however, a: beng a dvd screener and not official, and b: being an mp4 file.

I didn't mind however, just means I have longer to wait for ep 2

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well john_bmth what do ya think, should Ha`la`tha be unable to watch his/her latest TV shows, even though the are not avalible in the area just because dl Torrents is morally ambiguous. I think not!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Oh I know the answer, us criminals have no morals, dontchya know

It reminds me of the old old old days of mix tapes, and little stumpy teenagers called lars ulrich would brag about how they spent months in an old abandoned warehouse listening to mix tapes of their favourite bands, learning to play the songs... the new wave of british heavy metal...

who then becomes to fat and wealthy that he can afford to sit on his own private jet and send the autoraties over to bust little johnny who likes his music so much but cant afford it, but finds it on napster.

king lars grew fat on his ability to swap mix tapes and have music he never purchased - considering they were poor at the time, Im sure they didn't fork out to pay for their misfits tapes...

The way I see it, I don't pay for tv here. I get free to air tv. And if a tv show were to air here, I would not be paying for it. I would also not be persuaded by the advertising to go out and buy me some dominos pizza either, so I don't see how downloading a tv show and watching it sans advertising is any different.

Movies? I love the cinema, but I hate crappy movies. The solution? I'll download a decent copy of a movie, and if I enjoy it I'll spend some cash to see it with the atmosphere I like.

If I went to see every movie I thought might be good, based on previews and trailers, those money hungry vampires would have sucked more than their fair share out of me, and I'd have likely walked out in disgust - the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie for a start. Rise of the apes, second. Good grief, what garbage.. I did not even finish either of them from what I saw either.

A lot of small artists also make the bold move to allow free downloads of their music - spread the fan base far and wide, and the many people who insist on having a cd-cover or a booklet that only comes with a purchase, will do so, and by increasing your fan base, that increases sales.

So effectively, free downloads creates income for these people.

Mind you, if a band or movie completely sucks, then their worst enemy is free publicity. They want you to not know until you've forked out the cash, because then it's too late.

Quality begets loyalty.. it's as simple as that...

and then you get numpty countries like Australia that don't care about viewers, and all we have is a plethora of dancing with the idiots, singing with the morons and look ma, I'm on tv for no good reason!

Save me eztv, you're my only hope!!!!

Oh.. Ps.. his

edit on 3/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The Pirate Bay has long been my favorite place to go get torrents because they actively defend themselves and stand up for themselves. Other sites I frequented in the past have ended up being shut down.

I don't see anything wrong with file-sharing. It allows the poor to get entertainment, for one thing, and for another no one is stealing - they are creating new data. Not only that, it often allows for entertainment to be much more accessible and hassle-free for anyone than would ever would be possible from the evil corporate dictators.

If it was really about the art, and not about the money, then file-sharing would be seen as a way to enhance how much is seen and heard. I hope that it doesn't get shut down.

Another thing, the greedy corporations in charge of media are not willing to get with the times. If they have their way, then they will take all great media with them to the grave. Ever wonder why Netflix doesn't have the best selection? It is because the corporate giants refuse to sign over their products.

What I usually use file-sharing for is downloading anime in Japanese. This wouldn't be accessible whatsoever without it.

edit on 3-10-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Who you kidding
Pirate Bay makes no bones about the fact its there to help people steal

There are plenty of free ways to share legally and those who frequent Pirate Bay are not fooling anyone. Stealing is bad and bad people steal. It's always been that simple. It's made worse by the fact those doing most of the stealing are likely the same people living off government handouts and who never contribute anything themselves.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
"There are plenty of free ways to share legally and those who frequent Pirate Bay are not fooling anyone. Stealing is bad and bad people steal. It's always been that simple. It's made worse by the fact those doing most of the stealing are likely the same people living off government handouts and who never contribute anything themselves. "

How many people are there in the Alaskan Wilderness that get goverment handouts and DL torrents??? Those Eskimos must have the Igloos tricked out nowdays. How is it bad to steal movies/games from those Hollywood gits if we cannot afford them? This seems quite logical to me. Think you might be a little too upper middle class mate. Get of your high horse or Polar bear or whatever and join the Human race. Sarah Palin for president eh? NOT! Poor people have rights too ya know!
edit on 3-10-2011 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
worked ok for me .. in event of the unthinkable and it did go down I've got other sites that can get stuff from.
Always have a back-up plan boys and girls

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Nnnoooooooooooooooo! Say it aint so!

Now I have to pay for the carp out there, only to decide after a $50 - $100 outlay that what i have purchased is absolute carp!!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well the new transformers film I just watched would beg to differ.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I miss Megan fox though!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Who you kidding
Pirate Bay makes no bones about the fact its there to help people steal

There are plenty of free ways to share legally and those who frequent Pirate Bay are not fooling anyone. Stealing is bad and bad people steal. It's always been that simple. It's made worse by the fact those doing most of the stealing are likely the same people living off government handouts and who never contribute anything themselves.

Indeed, were all homeless povs that just want to see the fall of society, right.

jesus, I should just off myself.. lol

insane..

I've been told, I'll just stop rigt now and pay for utter rubbish, because why else would I do it.

*snort*

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Wrong therad sorryz
edit on 4-10-2011 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
But according to your perspective you can make the same case for renting or borrowing a DVD from someone , or making a copy from a DVD , that also keeps you from buying , is that illigal, immoral ? ,
What is the diffrence between watching a movie that is released in 2003 on TV, from downloading it from a Torrent site ? what about if one lives in a city where you can not find stores selling ligitimate DVD copies for movies ?
How about watching movies in Youtube ? I found Egypitian movies in youtube that are equivalents of american blockbuster movies , what make it immoral to watch them for free in Youtube ?

Sure the movie companies want people to pay to see the movie in theateres and when they come out on DVD, but is that makes it immoral to watch them on free movie channels ? really according to your perspective free movie channels should not exist as all non-paying means to watch a movie .

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Works fine for me.

Same here, Been working fine.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join