It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong quake off Vancouver, no damage seen: witness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Strong quake off Vancouver, no damage seen: witness

www.reuters.com

A strong earthquake off the coast of Vancouver shook buildings downtown in the Canadian city but there were no immediate signs of damage, a witness said.

The quake with a preliminary 6.7 magnitude created a slight rattling in nearby Seattle, Washington, but police in the U.S. city said there were no reports of damage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I didn't feel it but apparently some felt it in downtown Seattle. This is kind of a biggun and I'm a little worried we may be headed to larger rumblings. Anyone in the area feel it? There are no reports of damage or injury at this time according to the radio station I was listening to, and I just hope that news won't change. I know I'm being paranoid but I'm heading to the store to stock up. Better safe than sorry as they say. Be safe out there NWesters!

Edit to add: Friend just called me from up North while I was typing and told me it was pretty shocking. She's a little upset and at first had no idea what was happening. At least she gets the rest of the day off work!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Another ATS thread

As I understand we can have two if one is Breaking News. They are saying there are no Tsunami warnings. I may just go to the beach now! Nice day here!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thank you for adding this here too... many visitors may miss it and the other one if they don't happen to frequent that forum specifically.

I always worry about that area, given the huge lahars the area is developed on. That's another one of those areas in the world where it's not matter of if there's a big geological event coming... its matter of when.
edit on 9-9-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I live in downtown Seattle....in the middle of a hill ....right in the heart of downtown Seattle...and I live on the first floor of a building with a court yard...and I felt nothing. I am just glad that there are no injuries or deaths...and I hope it stays that way.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

You and me both. I'm in Bellevue and didn't notice a thing. I never notice earthquakes though. Everyone else sems to feel them and I sit there like a bump on a log wondering what all the fuss is about.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Certainly dear Maxmars. Just figured people in the general area would be hopping to their favorite site to see what happened!

The quake struck at a relatively shallow depth of two kilometers (1.2 miles). The epicenter was located 135 kilometers (84 miles) south-southeast of the town of Port Hardy on the island, the USGS said in its assessment.

link

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
All these extremely shallow earthquakes are odd. Shallow focus quakes are not unheard of, just rare, most are ten's of kilometers deep.

I'm curious as to why we are having so many, and are we causing them?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e09dd642fa7.jpg[/atsimg]

And here's a map for anyone that cares to see.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I felt it first hand being located in Campbell River, there was two tremors, the first lasted about 30 seconds and was weaker than the second. The second tremor was about another 30-45 seconds and felt allot stronger and there was about a minute between each other.

When this first started happening I thought I was verge of blacking out but shortly after realized I was not when I noticed the trees starting to sway. It was not strong enough yet to shake any windows, plates, etc at my house. I have called a few friends around my town and it was quite noticeable if you were indoors but some that were driving did not feel it at all.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Harles

My Grandpa went through a few big quakes in California and for some reason he was always driving. He said once he actually noticed because the trees were swaying and there was no wind. He pulled over and was quite startled!

Glad you're ok! I'm a little jealous. I think quakes are fun when nothing is damaged.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
All these extremely shallow earthquakes are odd. Shallow focus quakes are not unheard of, just rare, most are ten's of kilometers deep.

I'm curious as to why we are having so many, and are we causing them?

Considering the location, its actually odd there are not more.

The cause? Google Pacific Plate or the Ring of Fire.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00ec6a057aa5.gif[/atsimg]

Just saw this the other day and it gave me pause. I suppose the Earth has her cycles, but it is a bit disconcerting to see the trend in quakes. I'm trying to dig up a chart that goes through last year.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i felt it in Langley (about 50km east of Vancouver). i wonder if it has anything to do with the CME that is supposed to be hitting today, or if it is just regular tectonic plate movement, which is not uncommon in this area.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ztruthseeker
i felt it in Langley (about 50km east of Vancouver). i wonder if it has anything to do with the CME that is supposed to be hitting today, or if it is just regular tectonic plate movement, which is not uncommon in this area.

See... what the hell, lol, I'm closer to it than you are in Surrey, and still nothing.

I also want to add to stay alert about the possibility of aftershocks or the rupture of the entire fault.

CME's do not affect plate tectonics.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Im here in Vancouver and didn't feel a thing.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I also want to add to stay alert about the possibility of aftershocks or the rupture of the entire fault.

Don't say that!!! I haven't entirely finished my SHTF kit! I will blame you if it happens!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e09dd642fa7.jpg[/atsimg]

And here's a map for anyone that cares to see.

Yup, close to the Juan de Fuca falt line. Dunno why people don't mention Victoria since it was closer to the epicentre, and it is our provincial capital afterall

edit on 9-9-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by AGWskeptic

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00ec6a057aa5.gif[/atsimg]

Just saw this the other day and it gave me pause. I suppose the Earth has her cycles, but it is a bit disconcerting to see the trend in quakes. I'm trying to dig up a chart that goes through last year.

if that was a Stock Chart...that would be a bullish trend..meaning you can expect the earthquakes to keep increasing

again, more data for sheeple to read

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
About 3 months ago on GLP. I made a prediction. Unfourtunately, I was banned there right after calling a kid that he was a war monger and all war monger's metaphorically suck the system dick.

He did not like that and I have been banned since.

Anyway, I made this prediction and I'll make it here. Everyone is waiting on Sept. 26 for the next large quake. they also believe that this quake will again hit Japan, which it will, but not directly. I saw a 8.9 M eq hit off the coast of Oregon casuing a tsunami on the west coast and japan. This 8.9 will begin the a chain reaction. Yellowstone's activity will skyrocket. And after the 26th probably Oct. 6th YellowStone will have a EQ of the 7 or greater magnitude. The Vantua volcano will be set off causing a massive chain of tsunami after tsunami for Austrailia and NZ.

The Oregon quake I mentioned earlier will happen before Spet. 26th. It was not clear as to when though. Funny enough after I made this prediction out of shear anger (because I was mad that ppl would make threads saying "an EQ will happen soon" without dates, so I decided to be sarcastic and make a response thread with all these made up dates, but with some "truth" attached linked to ELE because everyone loves to read about her) I woke up the next day to find there was a bouy in the bay of Oregon that was going off! I was buggin becasue it had been a joke more or less, come to find out the bouy was broked and still is because every now and then it will just start going off again. Anyway thought I'd post that here for those who hunger for doom becasue my "prediction" does that and some, damn doom junkies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join