It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Blows Glowing Ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet or if this is the right forum to do it so I ask the mods to delete it or move it if needed.

This is a video of a volcano blowing a kind of glowing ring.

I`m sure this has a natural explanation but a bit weird anyway

edit on 5-9-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Always awesome to see!

The glowing you see is because of the sunlight hitting the smoke.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I have no clue but I would like a whack at a few guesses to contribute.

One would think it is the way the gas inside the ring is reflecting off of the sunlight and because its almost a clear cloud it thus makes the whole thing glow.

The reason behind the ring I also theorize is that there must be some sort of up/down draft (most likely down) then enters the middle of the cone and when hot air is rising, unless the volcano is erupting..there is not enough force to go through the cone and 1 cloud but the draft is not as strong all around the cone only in the middle thus hot air is pushed around this and what you see is the gaseous cloud that comes out in the form of a ring when the volcano pressure becomes to great inside and it puffs.

I am not a geologist or anything of the sort these are just guesses.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Some of that glow on the edges would be Chromatic Aberation due to the refractor design of the camera (bending light) but does not bend all wavelengths equally.

A video camera would be a fast lens (low focal ratio) and also have to bend the light more, being cheap they would also use cheap untreated non low dispersion lenses.

Especially noticable when zooming, he could probably even be using a Digital zoom which adds even more artifacts (interopilation) on top of the compression.

edit on 5-9-2011 by Bobbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Pretend that this is you hovering above an active volcano...I would think the smoke ring formed in much the same manner as did the ones from the person in this video. The gas is expelled through a ringed rim via built up pressure. More or less that is....

edit on 9/5/2011 by UberL33t because:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I immediatly thought of that too but in order to make a smoking ring you have to move your chin and lips in a quick contraction and the volcano`s "big mouth" can`t do this, LOL

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQ6666
reply to post by UberL33t

I immediatly thought of that too but in order to make a smoking ring you have to move your chin and lips in a quick contraction and the volcano`s "big mouth" can`t do this, LOL

Some ground or rock probably collapsed or perhaps a rock in the center of a ring ground formation caused it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

If enough pressure is behind what is pushed through the "throat" and ejected out of the crater (usually rimmed for the most part). Then based on this diagram of a Volcano it is seemingly exactly what caused the ring. No expert mind you, merely taking the Occam's Razor approach at how the ring formed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22c9c866fbe8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
in the first willy wonka the everlasting gobstopper machine makes perfect smoke rings through pipes....no lips needed

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Yes, It can perfectly be explained this way. Just joking in my post above

Maybe It`s mother earth smoking signs to warn us of something to come
...nahh

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I had seen this a while ago, still great to watch though, i'm sure it's not a rare thing, just rarely filmed at the right time, like the other poster said 'it's like how the girl in the video is doing it'. But still a great video nontheless, thanks for posting!

new topics

top topics

join