It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS suggestions.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I want to know about stars and flags because I want to see what posts users thought stood out, so I can reference them or reply to them easier. I would like to know when someone gives me an ATS equivalent of a pat on the back.

Just saying. It would make me happy to have a way to see that info.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Thanks for the props. Yeah, having a way to distinguish threads beyond stars and flags would be nice. This site thrives to be reputable, but there is no way to sift the crap from the real scientific posts. Creating a third set of forums that highlight great works would help this site with credibility, and be refreshing.

Beyond creating a new section of this site, the owners could also create a third way to distinguish posts and threads (beyond stars and flags). Stars and flags are great, but they don't really mean anything. What about another function that could tag a post that means more, and should be remembered. I have seen posts that are scientific and the op obviously spent hours on them. I'd give an example, but I can't really find them one, because they are buried in crap.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

[color=8AB39A]pat pat pat

I actually see that as a 'double-edged sword.' It is possible that some members would not give as many out, if there was some sort of a signature attached to it.

They do fairly well at serving their main purpose of keeping [color=B36B86]most of the minimal posts away, but not all of them. If I ever use these 3 letters together → [color=FCA33D]FnS, there's gonna be a [color=FCA33D]Bull- in front of them.

Like I said, I am curious too sometimes (even though I wish I wasn't). Often you can tell who they most likely came from, but they really are meaningless. I can't remember each of the specific posts, but there are 3 words that I could use to describe my own personal 'Top 5 Star Grabbing Posts.'
[color=47E7FF]
  • short
    [color=47E7FF]
  • witty
    [color=47E7FF]
  • pointless

I would have never given those posts a star. The most well-thought out and researched posts, are lucky to get a couple.

One that I remember, was only because it was the first one that I gained many from.

3 words only → [color=47E7FF]No You Won't!
    next day= 40+ stars. ridiculous.

He wasn't even talking to me, but had said, "If I am wrong, I promise to upload a video of myself onto Youtube, eating the hat of your choosing."

I just know that for me, I started enjoying this site much more after I stopped caring if others liked my posts or not. I just like being creative. Not always, but sometimes. I find that enjoyable.
    [color=F25096]Screw everyone else.

[color=707070]P.S. ~> 'Star Grabbing' was not intended. That is just what occurred.
    edit on 9/2/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

• posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
    link   

Yes, most treads are short, witty, and pointless. I have done the same thing to drive me up in the point system. This is another flaw in the point system in general. More points doesn't mean more respect. It only allows more access to the site. For those of us who want full access, the need to start threads and posts just for kicks. I have done it. I never said I was a perfect member
    Many others have done the same . That is why splitting real spectacular works/threads into another forum would be great.

I'd also like to add a fourth group to this list of yours. Short, witty, pointless, and trolling. Many a user will elicit arguments for the sake of arguing only. The users only wants a response, and will be aggressive to get it. 3/4 of the time responses are just to anger the op into arguing.

I'm not saying you did that, but I see it a lot. Thanks for the reply.

PS~Please read opening post to see why this was started. I feel like I had some good suggestions.

edit on 6-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:28 AM
    link   
    reply to post by adraves

Originally posted by adraves

Yes, most treads are short, witty, and pointless.
    [color=DCDBFF]That is neither what I said, nor true.

This is another flaw in the point system in general. More points doesn't mean more respect. It only allows more access to the site.
    [color=DCDBFF]I don't know what you're talking about here.↑

PS~Please read opening post to see why this was started. I feel like I had some good suggestions.

[color=DCDBFF]Nope. That's not the way it works.

It is against the rules of this site, to copy and paste U2U's out in the open, for others to see. Due to that, I won't do it. However, I can, and will, talk about it in my own words.

[color=DCDBFF]I am the only person, who commented within this thread, that was actually trying to help you with these issues.

What did I get in return?
    [color=DCDBFF]I got your tears on my shoulder. I also received your claims that my posts were off-topic, and lacked substance. I'm not going to risk ruining another shirt. As far as I'm concerned, you're on your own.

edit on 9/6/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:36 PM
    link   

I know, you were referencing your own top 5 posts that caught attention. They were all either short, witty, or pointless. I just broadened the scope in my last reply to topics in general.

As for the rest of your post, I never mentioned any U2U's. I only meant for the reader to check out the opening POST on this thread. It wasn't directed at you. Next time I will not reply to you directly when I should use "post reply" instead. Most of what I said wasn't directed at you or a criticism. Sorry if I came of wrong on this thread, or wrong/annoying/whinny in any U2U's. What more can I say?

Thanks for the help, suggestions, and feedback-it was and still is appreciated.
    edit on 6-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:00 PM
    link   
    I just thought of another suggestion. I would like the ability to tag threads with keywords to make finding relevant threads easier in the search and give a better idea what a thread is about.

A lot of sites use keywords/tags. I'm surprised it isn't included on ATS with how big it is now. Also a paypal donation system would probably work better than ads in my opinion. A lot of people would probably donate if given the chance.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:53 PM
    link   
    You know what might be fun and easy to do (not from a web programming perspective).

0-10 slider on threads, like a flag, only a rating that you can chance as the discussion goes on. Have the rating only last while you are currently participating (say must have posted in that thread in the last 7 days).

Okay that does sound a bit complicated, but you see where i was going with that

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:34 PM
    link   
    I think my head is going to explode.

I know you've been here awhile now, just over a month, and you have almost 300 posts, some stars and flags, and you're building your reputation. That's just great, truly. And now you are asking for things--lots of things. You want to know just who gave you stars and flags. You want a third section for "proven" stuff. Oh, yes, and you found a typo!

Now sit back a minute and consider what you are asking. Now a typo ought to be easy to fix. It would take a few minutes and I'm sure you would be satisfied and gratified to know it was fixed. Thanks for sharing. But most of the things you are asking for are non-trivial. To program into the system the ability for you individually track stars and flags, for example, would require quite a bit of programming time and yet another database to track it all. That time is expensive. Also, any additional tweak to the site affects response time. It's kind of a balancing act to keep useful features working while keeping response time as fast as possible. Everything that changes must be bounced against this issue. Everything.

If I were in charge of maintaining a suite of programs such as the one required to maintain ATS I would certainly welcome input, and stick all your points in a "to be considered" file that I might look at whenever I had the time between fixing major issues that affect the health of the site, like keeping it running and keeping it secure. I would keep my own list as well, and I'd probably concentrate on my own list along with the list maintained by the owners of the site before I got to your list. After all, the fact is you are not paying any maintenance contract, and you should have no expectation that your ideas are fit to be implemented.

You might not know that ATS has undergone several facelifts over the years. Other things have been tried. Some have been tried and abandoned. I have noticed a trend to greater simplicity, for example, in direct opposition to "creeping featuritis," the tendancy for a program to get more complex over time BECAUSE of indiscriminate adding of requested features. For example, we no longer have an ATS store where you "buy" a feature for yourself by using ATS points. When you think about it, the feature was complex and did not add materially to the quality of the site. The "rewards" program has been changed several times. (Usually, when I get closer to a higher status, it changes so that I don't get there. It's a conspiracy, I tell you! Oh, well!) Some people think that sort of thing is trivial--there's always someone who thinks that sort of thing is beneath them. Some people want the recognition, so it's a compromise. One recent change? A "Characters left" counter decrements at the botttom left, a VERY handy feature. Thanks!

When undergoing a major change I would look at your list, compare yours to everyone else's lists, realize most of them contradicted each other, and come up with the best changes asked by the most people to consider for implementation. I can tell you because I have been involved in systems maintenance projects for decades, that fulfilling everyone's wishes and maintaining such a site is a LOT of work. Even if you are in a situation where your customers are paying several thousand dollars a month in maintenance fees, there ideas do not always get implemented.

And we here at ATS pay absolutely nothing. Keep that in mind when you are asking for stuff.

Disclaimer: I don't work for ATS. I'm a user just like everyone else.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
    link   
    reply to post by schuyler

Thats a very long way to say "dont post your ideas because i dont find you credable"

This isnt the only forum on the planet you know.

You came in to troll those giving ideas and offered nothing yourself, well done, you are certinly a forum hero. Way to contribute.

I'll get my coat.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:16 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Biigs

Thats a very long way to say "dont post your ideas because i dont find you credable"

This isnt the only forum on the planet you know.

You came in to troll those giving ideas and offered nothing yourself, well done, you are certinly a forum hero. Way to contribute.

I'll get my coat.

It's "credible." Watch those typos!

Actually, what I did is give you some insight on how this stuff works as well as some history to the site. My point is that a lot of people want a lot of free stuff and have no idea what it takes to provide it. I call that a substantial contribution. I ought to get applause for it! And yeah, I'm tired of the whining. People get here and suddenly think it's up to them to redesign the site. Time for a reality check.

Yeah, ATS isn't the only forum. I think it may be against T&C to mention them by name, so I'll just allude to them. There's one "platinum" site that has over 100 users. Think of it! Over 100! Another one has 1,000, and a third will ban you for posting. (I know that sounds weird, but ask around. It's pretty close to the truth.) Other than that. Hmm, I'm at a loss. Of course, you could start your own, with completely original code, just like ATS, and then you'd understand what I'm talking about.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    edit on 9/8/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:23 PM
    link   

I did suggest donations btw. I also know that I suggested a lot.

I have been around a long time as well. I guess you could say I have been reincarnated several times.

My previous posts were just some suggestions about ideas I though would make my time on ATS a little bit more enjoyable. I know there are costs. I understand that. But if any of my suggestions are within the budget, then I would love to see them come to fruition.

Thanks for the feedback. I know asking is easy; some rationalization goes a long way.

~peace~

edit on 8-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join