It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Chinese tourists flee as tidal bore bursts through dam in annual event

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Just found this new news story and was blown away by the pictures.Kids ,never mess with mother Nature. Check out the mail site for more pictures of the event.www.dailymail.co.uk...

They came in their droves, all hoping to catch a glimpse of what is considered to be one of Mother Nature's more unusual spectacles.

However, these spectators unwittingly became part of the show when a huge tidal bore burst through a dam and spilled over the riverbank, sweeping scores of tourists off their feet.

One moment these bystanders stood transfixed at the banks of the Qiantang River in Haining, in east China's Zhejiang province, waiting to witness the natural phenomenon.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

This happens every year and here is a video from 2009 Why do they still risk their lives getting so close when they know it can be very unpredictable ?it beats me.

edit on 1-9-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Why do people do this? They put themselves at risk, for what reason? Even the officers have to show up and try to protect the tourists; what a waste. It's a surprise there were no fatalities, but those injured should have learned their lesson..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It's the thrill of looking death in the face!

...not unlike the running of the bulls in Spain.

www.life.com.../0

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
So people in China are just as silly as the rest of us. One should never try to outguess a flood, or predict where very large amounts of water will go.

My favorite picture from your link was the one of the reporter-priceless. The article says she was not injured, so she was lucky.

edit on 1-9-2011 by PacificBlue because: add text

edit on 1-9-2011 by PacificBlue because: same

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by antoinemarionette
It's the thrill of looking death in the face!

...not unlike the running of the bulls in Spain.

www.life.com.../0

I think that is a very good comparison I would imagine a lot of it is bravado of young males however studying the pictures there are people of all ages and in the first picture you can see a mother carrying a child running for their lives.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
What a bunch of idiots!
At least wear a life jacket if your going to be stupid enough to mess with a tidal wave full of mud and debris.

new topics

top topics

join