It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invasion of Privacy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hi folks. I was running an anti-malware scan last night and noticed some of the files it was scanning was items I had downlaoded years ago and got rid of (or so I thought). The folder these files were contained in was 'AppData' which was located on my C drive, Users, Vista then 'AppData'.

I went to this location to see what these files were and couldn't find the 'AppData' folder in teh Vista directory. I know sometimes Windows hides files that may cause instability if modified but I couldn't get this folder to appear, so I typed the location into the 'Run' command from the start menu and it took me straight to it.

I went to the 'Roaming' folder and found a folder created by 'U Torrent' and found a list of every file I had ever downlaoded using that software! I am not that naive that I didn't expect to find some kind of log even after deleting the files as I know that it is possible to recover files even after you think you have erased the wholde drive, but I didn't expect this! I was able to reinstate downloads from 4 years ago. When I download items I 'Open' the torrent link instead of saving it to my drive and opening it; the file created must be a backup or something?

That isn't what this thread is about in its entirity. I have jsut spent a few hours going through some of the folders and found plenty of records (email addresses from MSN messenger, Windows Mail etc.) and I found a folder created by facebook.

In it there was a few files and one of them was a licence agreement text file so I opened it and it was for a piece of software called ImageMagick. I have searched online and can't link it to facebook. I opened the uninstall file and it immediately erased the folder so I havn't got any of the files now. I have never installed any software or plugins for facebook so how did it get there? Does everybody have this?

I think the real question is how is it possible that websites can install software on your computer without you knowing? Do you agree to it in the 100 page long licence agreement that msot people always skip? What could people be using software for?

I think in this case it is probably legitimate and facebook probably uses it for creating your profile photos etc. but the amound of files I have just found so easily is unnerving... anyone with access to your computer could easily use a lot of this information to numerous uses.

Anyone else found anything like this?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

Thx for the thread. I know what your saying but if you have noticed, your modem lights are constantly working too. Mine and everyones. Big Brother has been and continues to d load your files daily based upon File Extention etc and Its impossible to stop.. Even offline . After you go online again any offline files u modified or created or deleated are d loaded from your pc..

Thx again..

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't worry about it I just periodically throw out my hard drive and buy a new one since they are relatively inexpensive.

I have better things to do than spend my time looking through files trying to figure out what they mean.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
actually most torrent downloads are .rar files. To open them microsoft OSs have to create a backup file.

Also don't use vistas(-- if you are). It'll destroy your computer. use windows 7 or xp sp3 from windows or the other OSs.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

The AppData folder is a Hidden & System folder.
You need to turn on, in Folder Options, to show those both Hidden files, and System files.

ImageMagick makes several add-ons and viewers for other companies.
Check the name of the folders under the ImageMagick folder, to see which program is yours.

edit on 2011-8-20 by tomten because: spell check

top topics

join