It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salmonella outbreak leads to Cargill ground turkey recall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Salmonella outbreak leads to Cargill ground turkey recall

www.allheadlinenews.com]

A nationwide recall has been issued for 36 million pounds of ground turkey produced by Cargill after the meat was linked to a nationwide outbreak of antibiotic-resistant salmonella food poisoning.

The recall is one of the largest Class One recalls in U.S. history. A Class-One recall involves a health hazard that could lead to a reasonable result of causing health problems or death.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-8-2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
So, now we know who the culprit is. Another monster corporate farm. I watched Food, Inc. the other night, and they told exactly how this happens. Now I get to see it unfold right before my eyes! This comes just as the FDA is targeting farmers who sell raw milk and cheese. Why is it ok for these corporate farms to potentially kill thousands with unsanitary farming practices, yet these small farmers are taken to court and charged? I am simply baffled by the lack of outrage by the American consumer over this!

www.allheadlinenews.com]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
There is a general apathy among the typical American consumers. When I pay more for a pound of tomatoes than a pound of ground sirloin, there is something wrong. But people in general eat crap and don't care where it comes from as long as it is readily available and beer is cheap.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here's a link to Cargill outbreak...oops! wrong meat!...and from 2009...so sorry...

"Agribusiness runs the show" at the USDA, says Tony Corbo, a food-safety lobbyist with the watchdog group Public Citizen.

In 1998 the USDA stopped testing for E. coli at the company's Greeley facility, saying internal safeguards were sufficient. While tests continued at small plants like Munsell's, the USDA allowed big packers to conduct their own in-house tests. Indeed, according to the congressional investigation of the ConAgra recall initiated by Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), 33 in-house tests conducted at ConAgra's Greeley facility in the month before the recall came back positive for E. coli contamination. ConAgra failed to alert the USDA. In a scathing letter to Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman this spring, Waxman wrote that the USDA's policy of industry self-regulation "appears grossly inadequate to protect the public health."

source...a good read

But, that's right, let's have less regulation! Corporations are citizens after all, and citizens want less govt and no Big Brother.

With food having become an industry, and new ways for meat to be packaged, food corporations found another way to gain more profit. They moved meat packing plants to the American heartland, away from unionized urban areas, and imported illegal workers.

Americans were fooled into thinking that the steak or ground hamburger or ground turkey was just like the kind grandma served at the table years ago.

Another good read
edit on 4-8-2011 by desert because: forgot link

new topics

top topics

join