It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the odds of getting something like this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20b7464047fa.png[/atsimg]

While I realize there are ongoing discussions, and thats a great thing - often I see threads where its the same post repeated over and over and over infinitely - just slightly reworded or stretched out to avoid the 1-liner rule in T&C.

I took this screenshot directly from an unnamed forum. It works well there.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you consider my suggestion

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
ATS had this way early in the game. I was under the impression that it was removed so ATS could do selective site-wide polls, and that it was also a hindrince to how the site operated. I may be wrong on this, but that's the initial impression I was given when polls were removed.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

really? I'm sorry to see them go

I don't see any reason we couldn't have both the widescale poll (especially with the way they present the results, very cool) and selective polls

ATS is the boss though - if they don't want it - so be it

I just think it would be helpful, in keeping threads down to strong contributions - if a 6 page thread only has 2 pages of real content and 4 pages of "yes it is" and "no it isn't" - seems counterproductive to me

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This was mainly because ATS wanted/wants to enocourage people to elaborate and explain why they feel the way they do about a certain topic. For example, lets say you ask me what my favorite food is...

In a traditional poll you would probably give the options along the lines of "Italian, Mexican, French, American, Japanese, and Chinese." There'd be a poll result, and no post, and no one knows why...but using the method ATS is using I'm required to post something along the lines of:

"I like Chinese food, in particular the Kung Pao Chicken, because I like spicy food, and the chicken is just awesome."

It personafies the user a bit more, something ATS had as a goal.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
This was mainly because ATS wanted/wants to enocourage people to elaborate and explain why they feel the way they do about a certain topic.

I can see the logic in that
shame it isn't working out so well though..

if you want me to I can find numerous examples
the one in my thread is a good one "people don't read the thread"

while we're all enjoying finding examples of pareidolia, every 3rd post is "it's a rock"...
like we need to be convinced.. cause we missed the first 15 times someone said "it's a rock"

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

ATS needs to run like a business to grow and survive..

To do that they need ever increasing posts/hits to stay ahead of the crowd and attract advertising..

We are NOT subjected to heavy doses of advertising but instead, lower levels of higher paying advertisers due to ATS's position amongst it's competition..

But to do this they NEED increased posts..

A poll like you have suggested diminishes the post count..

I can see the logic in ATS sticking to their current plan for the benefit of all..
edit on 5-8-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join