It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Have Become a Nation of Employees!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

“We have become a nation of employees. We are dependent upon others for our means of livelihood, and most of our people have become completely dependent upon wages. If they lose their jobs they lose every resource except for the relief supplied by the various forms of social security. Such dependence of the mass of the people upon others for all of their income is something new in the world. For our generation, the substance of life is in another man's hands.”

Tannenbaum F., A Philosophy of Labor 9 (1951)

It is a widely proposition that large corporations now pose a threat to individual freedom comparable to that which if governmental power were unchecked. The Proposition need not, however, be limited to the mammoth business corporation, for the freedom of an individual is threatened whenever he becomes dependent on a private entity possessing greater power than himself. Foremost amongst the relationships which this generality is true is that of the employer and employee.

Employment at Will vs. Individual Freedom: On Limiting the Abusive Exercise of Employer Power
Lawrence E. Blades
Columbia Law Review
Vol. 67, No. 8 (Dec., 1967), pp. 1404-1435
(article consists of 32 pages)
Published by: Columbia Law Review Association, Inc.
Stable URL: www.jstor.org...

There is no greater threat to America or the world at the current stage then the threat of the life sucking dependance we have on jobs in America. We have become a nation dependent on others for our survival. Yet, those others that we depend have made us into products of corporations. Once a person has subscribed to the belief of corporation over the individual then they have in effect authorized that entity to control the life of another human.

Our system of laws are designed to promote commerce, at the same time it blocks individual freedom. You must either subscribe to the system in order to survive, or you must become the system. The political parties of America seek to keep this beast of a system fully functional. One side believing it can be maintained through force and a more clear division of classes, and the other side believing that it can be maintained through appeasement to the lower class of citizens to prevent rebellion. Both sides advocate this system that destroys individual power and freedom, and neither is interested in getting rid of it.

So the next time any of us speak about political parties, who is right or who is not, let us remember that both seek to destroy individual freedom in their own way. As a social issue we must recognize this if we are to find a solution peacefully. Neither dependance on a government hand-out nor dependance on a corporation for a job is the right solution to promote individual liberty.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
i'm not sure about that. Several posters here claim to be totally independent of the system (except their internet access of course)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Yeah, it's a system by design. Corporate slaves so we can afford health insurance and have economic stability for our families. Once you have kids you're a slave to this, unless you're brave enough to take risks which could be seen as irresponsible and scary when others depend on you. Frustrating for sure.....
edit on 1-8-2011 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

How did they become independent of the system? I didn't know that such a thing existed even???

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
There is an alternative to corporate slavery. One that I have embraced as a dedicated entrepreneur with every thing from retail, manufacturing and services.

Become self employed with your own corp, LLC, or fly under the radar and ignore the legalities of permits, taxes and BS restrictions.

However, be advised that being a business man is fraught with peril as well as great benefits, profits and self satisfaction. During my time, I have made obscene amounts of money and I have lost everything and had to rely on the kindness of family and friends.

Being an entrepreneur is not a career choice; it's a lifestyle, an obsession and requires more emotional involvement than a 9 to 5. And I'm sorry to say that "families" usually just get in the way. For me the solution was to make my lover also a business partner and work as a team. If you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and work your ass off, then give it a shot. You can always go back to being a slave for the "man" if you go bust.

edit on 1-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Unfortunately the small business is a slave to the government regulators that make it very difficult for you to even produce a living from it. Yes there are some successful businesses. Certainly, if you work hard at your own business you will be successful. However, likely you will need the help of employees at some point, and thus contribute to the overall problem.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by whaaa

Unfortunately the small business is a slave to the government regulators that make it very difficult for you to even produce a living from it. Yes there are some successful businesses. Certainly, if you work hard at your own business you will be successful. However, likely you will need the help of employees at some point, and thus contribute to the overall problem.

Perhaps, but as an employer I never felt that I was contributing to the problem. I mentored my people, paid them very well, respected their efforts and in return received their loyalty and hard work. Most of them spun off of my business eventually and went out on their own with my blessings.

I can understand your cynicism with the system and I share it; but there are businessmen like myself that are motivated by something other than greed. Even my failures were kickass fun to experience. The only analogy I can give is that entrepreneurship is like making ART, both agony and ecstasy working together to create something meaningful......sometimes it works...many times it doesn't! The thrill is in the journey, not the product.

F&S TY for the opportunity to express myself and hopefully encourage others to reject the 9-5 grind and join me in the 24/7 grind.

edit on 1-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well I am glad that you treat your employees well. Also, you seem to recognize that many businesses are started only for profit, with no kind of real passion behind them. I understand your desire to create business and I see no problem with that. Our society though has evolved to where an average mom and pop business cannot excel against the huge monopoly hold mega corporations have on the market.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by colbyforce

Yeah, it's a system by design. Corporate slaves so we can afford health insurance and have economic stability for our families. Once you have kids you're a slave to this, unless you're brave enough to take risks which could be seen as irresponsible and scary when others depend on you. Frustrating for sure.....
edit on 1-8-2011 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

And seeing as how you're usually in the red the first TWO full years starting a new business, most likely the Child Protective NAZI'S will try to harrass you, as well. If they even think you can't support those kids they will make your life a living hell!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by whaaa

Small business has willingly and most imprudently become slaves to government. I will never forget the day a realization hit me like a ton of bricks when I walked past an independent bookstore that had a sign that boldly stated:

"We are a licensed bookseller!"

I was astounded, and thought to myself that I suppose I should be grateful the state is protecting me from the undeniably dangerous booksellers. Thank God they are required to be licensed! What a wonderful thing government is, no? No! No, no, no!!

The stupidity is that booksellers actually believe they need a license in order to sell their books. Of course, if you want to be a book seller, and you (not you per se Ex, as I have no doubt you get it) think that in order to be a law abiding "citizen" you are required to apply for a license to sell books, then you will discover real quickly that city hall will not even give you an application until you have first gone to the IRS and obtained a "tax ID number".

Imagine that! A local municipality working in concert with the federal government, (not only unlawful, but illegal as well), in order to coerce you to accept liability for an "income" tax for a business that hasn't even generated a dime in profit yet. Of course, it is technically not coercion if you voluntarily go and apply for that license, and even if you open a book store and petty little city workers walk in with their clipboards and smug attitudes acting all officious insisting that you must have a license in order to operate the book store, even then you are still voluntarily applying for the license.

How so, you ask? Well, I am glad you asked. Because legally speaking, if you acquiesce to this nonsense then this is legally construed as a grant of jurisdiction where none existed before this.

If you decide to open up a book store without a license, and some smug government city employee walks in with their clipboard and insists that you are in violation of some code because you do not have a license, I would suggest the very first thing you say to this arrogant ass, is that you are profoundly disappointed they did not enter your business to buy a book. Then politely inform them that they are loitering and that this is not allowed in your business.

I strongly urge all free entrepreneurs to arm themselves intellectually and prepare themselves for the conflicts that will ensue when making the decision to not acquiesce to bogus licensing schemes. So, when that smug and arrogant city employee walks in and thinks they are going to intimidate you, you can make perfectly clear that this hapless city employee just brought a metaphorical knife to a metaphorical gun fight. When you have tired of the foolish city employees posturing, pick up the phone and call the Sheriff and make clear to this city employee that you are going to file a verified complaint against them for trespass, coercion, assault, simulation of legal process, and obstruction of justice.

They will more than likely threaten to be back with some "higher" authority, but welcome it. There is no way in hell that, at least for the smart ones, city attorneys will want to see you in court challenging their bogus licensing schemes.

The so called "Personal Income Tax" issue is a whole other can of worms, but suffice it to say that you do not need a "tax ID number" in order to do business. Now, some of your suppliers may insist that you must have a "tax ID number" in order to "qualify" for wholesale prices, but if you are armed intellectually for this moment then you will ask that retailer if they are presenting themselves as some government official assessing your tax liability. They will answer no, I assure you. At that point, try to remain as diplomatic as possible while explaining to your wholesaler that you do not need a "tax ID number" in order to prove you are a book seller, and point out that most people do not buy a dozen copies of War and Peace, three dozen copies of Harry Potter, and so on. They will flutter, and sputter, and fluster, and if they keep giving you grief, then make it clear you will sue them for their nonsense.

You will, in the end, win with the wholesalers. They are, after all, in business to make a profit, and should not care in the least what your tax liability is or is not.

Without this license, it becomes infinitely harder for all the regulatory agencies to impose their will upon you. Not that employees of these regulatory agencies will not try. Government is filled with stupid people ignorant of the law, but just kindly explain to them that if they continue threatening you, that you will file a verified complaint against them personally and see to it that they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

If I am making this sound easy, I assure nothing is easy, not even low priced hookers. Of course, if you want it easy, chances are you will not even go into business, let alone heed my advise on non acquiescence.

Anyway, with all that said, I would like to quote just one of the finely written paragraphs from your O.P.

There is no greater threat to America or the world at the current stage then the threat of the life sucking dependance we have on jobs in America. We have become a nation dependent on others for our survival. Yet, those others that we depend have made us into products of corporations. Once a person has subscribed to the belief of corporation over the individual then they have in effect authorized that entity to control the life of another human.

I just admired the craft, skill, and of course, the idea behind it so much, I thought it worth reposting.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Jean Paul I am very much in agreement with your take on small business. I am a mixed bag of nuts when it comes to political ideology, but my social ideology is one of doing what makes sense in the current times. I believe there are times when capitalism is a great vehicle to promote innovation and reward those who take risks. I just cannot ignore the "licensed bookseller" as you have mentioned. Companies have erected their own criteria for doing business with you (you as in other businesses). This means the small business has been locked out of trade agreements that large corporations enjoy between each other.

I worked for Microsoft for a period of time. I remember they had licensing agreements every business had to apply for. I remember at that time thinking, who are these people to be able to issue licenses to others to use their product; shouldn't a business be allowed to buy the store bought version? Well apparently not, although, Microsoft might not catch it for a while. These types of money schemes requiring small businesses to purchase an annual subscription to an operating system that comes with a computer most of the time, just boggles my mind. So now not only can a corporation deny a business access to purchase and use their products, but they can also prevent the business from using the store bought version they bought through normal consumer channels.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I just cannot ignore the "licensed bookseller" as you have mentioned. Companies have erected their own criteria for doing business with you (you as in other businesses). This means the small business has been locked out of trade agreements that large corporations enjoy between each other.

I am not suggesting we ignore "licensed booksellers". If a licensed bookseller is your favorite bookstore, then by all means patronize that book store.

What I am suggesting is that if you choose to compete with that "licensed bookseller", you are under no lawful obligation to obtain a license yourself. I sincerely doubt people would avoid your bookstore simply because you do not have a license to sell books.

I make this suggestion because it is this licensing scheme that opens you up to the plethora of government regulatory agencies and schemes that would endeavor to shut you out.

It is interesting you brought up Microsoft and their licensing agreements, which is an entirely different beast. I would like to speak to corporatism a bit though. Corporations are chartered entities. This means they exist solely by permission from the state that gave them their corporate charter. These "legal fictions" are most certainly liable for and subject to any regulatory schemes government wants to impose upon them, but you as a private person who is one of the holders of the inherent political power, are not a legal fiction, unless you apply for a DBA, and then you, just like the artificial corporation, become liable for and subject to the same nonsense.

All that nonsense has nothing to do with free and open markets. I most emphatically agree with you that We the People most imprudently agreeing to become a nation of employees was a bad move. So, in order to correct this problem we need many former employees now operating their own business, but if they attempt to play the corporate game, most likely they will lose.

Do not play that game, I say! Be free and let the clowns in government trample all over your natural unalienable rights, and when the do, sue the crap out of them, accept their settlement...and they will settle...and invest it in your business.

Flourish and prosper! All of you! Flourish and prosper each and everyone! Do not imagine for a single second that the majority of people will flourish and prosper by being employees. Shake those chains and be free, and flourish and prosper!

Easier said than done, I know all too well. But, come on, it is the journey that is the fun, and the arrival is the climax. Have fun, no matter how hard that may be, and flourish and prosper!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

I think I get everything you are saying. I think there are a number of problems that cannot be summed up in a post that affect our reliance on being a nation of employees. You mention suing the government and accepting their settlement. Most people cannot hire an attorney, and most attorneys will not sue a government. Our government has near unlimited resources to fight and paid attorneys on staff that do not go bankrupt from fighting, unlike the private person would. How do you suppose we address this quandary?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Are you saying that you purposely do not comply with regulations and permits?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Unless you already have a significant amount of money, a small business owner will still be an indebted slave to the banks especially if that business goes splat.

This game is so rigged right now it isn't even funny.

That's why I have protection, dogs, food and water stored, and a few escape plans. When this sucker is bled dry, this country will be illuminated with fire and madness. I plan to set up camp, and enjoy the show.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I just know that besides tax tax tax, I am sick and tired of permits, licenses, and stupid laws on all levels that keep people from doing what they need to do to live and thrive.

Permits, permits, permits.

And I am supposed to think I am free?

join