It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxes around the world.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm really interested to find out from real people not some 2 year old statistics off the Internet how much of your wage gets taken by the government. 

I live in the Uk so........

For me it's around 22% of my wage  is gone instantly. I may be slightly out need to do further analysis. 

This essentially includes health care i.e the NHS. 

It falls under 2 taxes.

Income tax
National insurance. 

If I get paid 2200 pounds gross in august I will walk away with 1700 pounds. 

So if you could list what country your from. The % of your wage which goes to the government and health care. 

And what they call the taxes in your country. 

I find it interesting and would like to know if you guys think it's fair and what impact it has on your day to day. 

Look forward to any discussion

edit on 28/7/11 by tombangelta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Weekly Gross Pay $440.00
Federal Withholding $51.77
Social Security $18.48
Medicare $6.38
Arkansas $16.02

Net Pay

$347.35
So lets add bills into this equation.
Rent----------- $400
Water----------$78
Natural Gas--$20
Electric$-------100
Internet---------$33
Food_______$400(including wine&beer)
Dental______$30
Netflix-----------$8
Fuel for Auto $160
Gym-------------$50

so i have $110 dollars a month so save for clothing auto repairs ect

edit on 28/7/11 by Arkansas because: add monthly

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkansas

What does that Medicare cover you for friend. 

In the event you needed surgery would you have to pay extra or for that or drugs etc. 

Don't want this to turn into an NHS vs healthcare debate 
Just curious. 

And also in the 20% region interesting. 

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tombangelta

Medicare is health insurance coverage to people who are aged 65 and over or to those who meet other special criteria.

If I was to lose my job and get sick I should be able to get medicare.

edit on 28/7/11 by Arkansas because: better description

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Australia

Earnings - $144,050
Total Taxation - $43,758

30.3% of earnings taken from Wage only.

Add to this the reported %4.5 inflation ( in fact its closer to 15% ) which is in fact a tax.
Then the G.S.T of 10% on everything I buy.
Then the supposed flood levy of 1%
and lastly the proposed Carbon tax and you can see nearly half my money is gone into the Government Coffers for their inability to manage anything fiscal.

I would like to add that all the other cost of living expenses are going up weekly but our wages are heavily controlled by work place laws preventing us to collectively bargain fairly.

Welcome to Australia...where you get legally robbed each week, have new laws forced down your throat every month removing your freedoms and get told your going to be force fed GMO Food.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Oh right sorry for my lack of understanding.

If you were to have health insurance would that be deducted
Instantly or is it factored into your wage. ?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
For the 2010 financial year:
Annual Gross - 76,553
Tax Withheld - 22,986
Mandatory Private Health Insurance - 552
Approx - 31% tax

I may get around $1000-$2000 back from tax refund.

Essentialy around 30%, I always work on the logic of about a third, to be on the safe side.

Edit:
As mentioned in a previous post, we also have GST, so probably another few thousand a year for that.

Cheers
edit on 28-7-2011 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

With our new system private plans would be taxed as income. It would be around $60 a week for coverage.

If I was to brake a bone I would go to the ER they can't refuse you. But the bill would be crazy.

edit on 28/7/11 by Arkansas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

Its a nightmare. 

We have VAT value added tax it's 20% added to everything a person buys. Apart from fuel and tobacco etc where the tax is much more.

Your probably about right when you factor everything in over half a persons wage packet is going straight back to the government.

And they say slavery is dead. I think not.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Good lord that's insanity

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Canada depends on the province, and they change something every year. Plus there's sales tax, again it depends on the province.

www.cra-arc.gc.ca...

Federal rates
15% on the first $41,544 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $41,544 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $41,544 and $83,088), +
26% on the next $45,712 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $83,088 and $128,800), +
29% of taxable income over $128,800.

Province of Saskatchewan
11% on the first $40,919 of taxable income, +
13% on the next $75,992, +
15% on the amount over $116,911

Approximately the first $10,000 per year we make doesn't get taxed, that changes every year, and the above numbers get meshed together somehow in the calculations on the tax forms.

And then there are certain deductions and tax credits, if you have children, a non working spouse, charitable donations......

Some gets withheld on the cheques, and then at tax time, there's a 4 page form, plus pages for extra deductions if needed - or we can enter the numbers online and just trust the software. I hire an accountant these days

They try to get the payroll deductions close to what the tax people want.

The last cheque was 28% went to tax.

I don't know how much goes to healthcare, it's just included somewhere in the taxes. If we need an operation or a trip to the doctor, it's covered. Prescriptions, eye care, dental - we need to buy extra insurance on our own, or just pay for it.

Our corporate taxes are low, about 16.5%, which is good for businesses.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I forgot the local city sales tax mine is 9.25% non food items 11% on prepared food also there is like 40-60 cents per gal on fuel
edit on 28/7/11 by Arkansas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am on Social securtiy disability. I get 1075/month to cover ALL my needs and my family of 4 of which 3 have been actively and non-discriminately searching for work in a hard hit economic area. Out of that I pay ~60$ for phone which has ~30% tax, ~100-125 for gas which ~50%+ is tax, every trip to the store I am paying transportation tax and fuel tax for any item I buy.I am taxed on my water bill and taxed even to use the toilet while on the road in oregon. Conservatively on my fixed income I still am paying ~20% of my income in some form of tax.
I need to add prior to my medical disaster I was Paying in icome tax at least 5000/yr with a peak of 10,000 and still paying all the consumer tax. The actual tax rate in America is quite high but it is the hidden taxes which drive this. At the rate of taxation here we should all have great health care not just the politicians. Also it is these taxes in which the middle class and poor are major contributors to the economy and are paying more than their share per dollar than the wealthy who do not go to costco and buy their goods but form corporations which "handle purchasing" at cost. Income tax is a slight of hand way of looking at tax as it is the hand you see the one you do not see is in your pocket and bleeding you dry and the wealthy say look at income tax. It is a game to fleece fools and they have raised a big crop of them who can't factor all the taxes avg folks pay being a much larger number than all the income tax the wealthy pay.
seed
seed

join