It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Security Council To Meet Next Week To Discuss Syria's Nuke Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
www.nhregister.com...

VIENNA — The U.N. Security Council plans to meet in closed session next week to discuss what to do about Syria’s refusal to cooperate with an investigation of its alleged secret nuclear activities, diplomats said Monday.

The move comes just weeks after the International Atomic Energy Agency referred Syria to the council for action that could result in anything from debate to sanctions of the kind imposed on Iran for defying international demands to cease activities that could be used to make nuclear arms.

The nuclear program they are talking about is the reactor that was bombed by Israel a few years ago. The article says Syria dosent seem to represent a proliferation threat at the moment.

Still, one of the three diplomats who agreed to discuss confidential information on condition of anonymity said the planned July 14 discussions are significant. He pointed to the fact that the council found the issue important enough to take it up less than a month after the June 9 IAEA referral.

Im not sure how fast the council takes up these issues, but the article is giving me the impression they took this issue really fast.

All three diplomats said that the council had asked high- ranking IAEA officials to testify at the hearing — another sign of the importance attached to the Syria file.

Im not really sure what all this means. Are they just going to tell Syria to not build anymore reactors?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
thats the last thing we want another nut job county with a nuke program s&f

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If Libya does not settle down soon and things kick of with a big stink, the risk of regional conflict through out Africa, Middle East and Europe is high. Syria is one nation already under a lot of tension and with a Russian Navel base and Iran support the risk of things going nuclear is one worth considering. There may also be other rogue elements and treaty obligations that need consideration.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
sure ,western military can attack Syria, but in return the cities of the West will be purified in Russian nuclear flames.
is the West willing to step up the ante?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I guess the next false flag will be a Syrian one.
Since when countries are targeting each other with nukes anyway.
Pffft.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Hey Buni, thanks for another good middle east post.

I caught this just before I came on here. I was trying to figure out the same answers you are.

This meeting on Syria reactors is sure coming at a perfect time combining with Hilary Clinton saying Assad is out of time.

Looks like the reason to go to war in Syria will be the Libyan propaganda (Evil dictator killing his people) mixed with some Iraq propaganda (weapons of *non*mass destruction).

It still won't be for some weeks, look for more sanctions coming down the pipe for Syria in the energy sector. The squeeze is on.

From the OP of the thread I liked at the top:

So what's the next step? Hmmm......

I think you have your answer

Hope this post is alright, I've had a few (sarc/) celebratory drinks for the holiday
edit on 5-7-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

top topics

join