It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are food prices continuing to go up where you live?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
What I would like to know is what percentage of food is thrown away because people can't afford to buy it and it spoiled?

I believe I read or saw on a documentary... in the USA about 30% of food in grocery stores ends up getting wasted...

Pretty sickening

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ramuh
Also some companies are "ninja"-increasing prices. By this I mean they are giving less product for the same price instead of increasing the price on the package. I work for a major food manufacturer, and recently they decreased the amount in each product by 13%,while still charging the same amount. Something else to watch for...

Yes that is so true... I see it all over the supermarket... Main one I see are potato chips and Sodas...

Sodas now come in 20 packs instead of 24, 10 oz bags of chips are now 8 oz... And this is with the same, or higher costs...

Also bottled water is going this route... a month or 2 back I would get 35 pack of store brand spring water, now they dont even carry it, and carry 24 bottle(same amt of water in each bottle) for the same price

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Definitely up. Pay attention to unit prices. As one poster pointed out, shrinkage is also a problem with companies putting big spaces on the bottom of containers and the like.

Fun to anticipate Walmart pricing strategy - if I didn't care about the steady increase. They will hike a price, wait a month or two, drop the price a little bit and put a big sign on it reading "Price Rollback!". For example, the bread I buy used to be $1.49. They hiked it to $1.99 for a month, then down to $1.89 with the big sign. Ooo look, we're getting a DEAL!

Have 10 of my raised garden beds planted. Just ordered a 10 lb box of fresh blueberries from the Kiwanis. JAM TIME! I plan on canning all summer.

<< 1   >>

join