It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad Cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
We seem to be seeing a lot of stories in the news lately about cops that are just short of worthless. The child in Dayton being tasered for be "disrespectful", the Emily Good case in NY.....I kknow there are a lot of good cops out there, but unless we as a society keep the light on the dirt bags out there, they'll just continue to act like this is a 3rd world country and they can behave as they please. Here's a website I found to help keep the light shining on them, enjoy. www.unknownnews.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Or unless society keeps a light on all the good ones and all the good they do, people will be deluded into thinking that all cops are bad. What a ridiculous and false notion. Unfortunately many people are deluded by it and driven by it. Sad really.
edit on June 30th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

edit on 30-6-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Or unless society keeps a light on all the good ones and all the good they do, people will be deluded into thinking that all cops are bad. What a ridiculous and false notion. Unfortunately many people are deluded by it and driven by it. Sad really.

So, are you suggesting we just turn a blind eye to the "bad ones"?

Or are you suggesting we try to keep it fair and balanced and show the good with the bad and let the cards lay where they land, so to speak?

Because, I think the latter is a better option.

That said, you must admit, that those bad apples certainly do a number themselves, as far as, making it look like there are no good cops.... A few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch, so to speak.

Not all cops are bad, as said by the OP....but there ARE bad cops. And something DOES need to be done about the bad cops....

Not much we can do about good cops.... Nothing is wrong with them, so I think it is only natural for people to focus on removing the bad apples.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

There is plenty of science that addresses excess authority and its ramifications
www.prisonexp.org...
and this one on following authority in doing violence
en.wikipedia.org...
to make the case that as it stands the system breeds contempt and violent forced compliance. Yes, by all means the good should be recognized but the bad need to be expunged
seed

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I was actually on my way to becoming a police officer her in San Diego...but after seeing a lot of the crap that cops do and the "you will obey or recognize my authority forcefully" that seems to be instilled in to every cop has driven me away. I'm usually too nice to be an a-hole...so that career choice isn't for me.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

So, are you suggesting we just turn a blind eye to the "bad ones"?

Or are you suggesting we try to keep it fair and balanced and show the good with the bad and let the cards lay where they land, so to speak?

Because, I think the latter is a better option.

That said, you must admit, that those bad apples certainly do a number themselves, as far as, making it look like there are no good cops.... A few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch, so to speak.

Not all cops are bad, as said by the OP....but there ARE bad cops. And something DOES need to be done about the bad cops....

Not much we can do about good cops.... Nothing is wrong with them, so I think it is only natural for people to focus on removing the bad apples.

Not sure how my post could be construed as anything but keeping it fair and balanced. I would never suggest turning a blind eye to the wrong doings of some cops OR the wrong doings of anyone....but most seem to chose to keep a blind eye to the good. And that is wrong and rather ridiculous....

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I am happy to say there are good police and I have had a couple good experiences with them. I also have had encounters which were very bad. From an attempted DUI stop (I am diabetic ,do not drink and keep excellent sugar control) for leaving a bar I was never in. to kissing the hood because they were looking for a similar vehicle. Both times dire threats were issued forced compliance in the absence of resistance and presumed guilt.
Too be fair I have been let off with traffic warnings, and had a State Police Officer, as my home burned to the ground, run up to where I had stood up a piece of tin an had a hose on the chicken coop to take the hose so I could free the stupid birds. Bullets on a belt,polyester pants, heart and balls came in to where i had already doused my burning pant leg twice. I have seen some good police, that said and having lived over a half century I can say that guys like him are rare and getting rarer as time goes on.
two posts back(as well as here www.abovetopsecret.com... ) I offer two solid scientific studies which directly address the phenomenon of authoritative violence and authority induced violence which I have yet to see any LEO or authority figure challenge or even acknowledge. Hard science on why police violence is linked to the amount of control they have to force compliance is ignored but opinion hotly debated as whether good cops are not getting enough props and folks only see the bad.
Are all cops bad? hell no. Are they all humans who are subject to their nature? hell yes. IMO the problem is with the cop as often as with the citizen, that is rarely. where it breaks down is that we have given humans extra-human authority and power in the name of abstract social constructs. As in the Stanford experiment it degrades to violence.
seed

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I just posted a story about a 20 year old boy that's now paralyzed from the chest down after being tasered when he was standing on the side of a steep drop off - something that is definitely against policy to do.
The GBI is investigating that one - but you know I don't exactly trust them - there was an incident of local cops being accused of inpropriety and the GBI had the dashcam videos that then got mysteriously messed up and lost leaving no available video.

I think we need citizen oversight.
And I don't think we need all this rape in jails either - I mean, think about it. You're going to say people get raped left and right in jail, but oh, let us arrest you and don't resist.

There is some human nature, some instinct of self preservation that comes into play. Citizens should not be expected to roll over on their backs and pee themselves just because a cop looks at them.

join