It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin: Just Passing By

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Everyone... and especially to those who cannot comprehend simple physics, quantum mechanics and finally general relativity.

I wouldn't be worrying about some rogue comet... "planet x" or "red/white/blue" dwarf star... whatever you want to call it...

If you really understood the physics involved then you would think that these "threats to earth" are mere child's play compared to this...

Since the earth and alot of other objects and our local solar system moving around our galaxy and others at averaging speeds of 300-500 km/s...

And since all of that computational parameters have to be taken into account, we are bound to run into something eventually.

Maybe today maybe in an amount of years equivalent to "(Graham's number)" we will be all wiped out, but for now all of this stuff has no current bearing on this reality with what is spewing out of these peoples minds about a silly little comet and or the other "N" word... (nibiru shhh...I said it)

If I were you all who are so into this ELEnin event, in which I could even get more in depth and all conspiracy nut on it for you all ELE stands for extinction level event right??? well that just leaves us with the rest nin which is... (no its not nine inch nails the n at the end is backwards lol... this name however is יהוה‎‎ yahweh in Hebrew for the name of the almighty who gives us this extinction level event HAHAHA

Okay, I digress as it is 4:45 EST in Uhmerica (idiocracy reference)...

It will happen eventually to all you doom seekers, so eventually you will get to say "i told you so"...(there are you all happy now?)

If I were all of you I would actually be worrying if anything about either yourselves, or in the odd chance of having a neutron star and or one that is a pulsar, which would be the most damaging to life on this planet.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

....because people care about there loved ones and if given a chance to keep them from harm they will oblige.

The problem here is that you put too much trust in the witterings of internet idiots who know absolutely nothing about comets, brown dwarfs, or orbital mechanics. There are plenty of us around here who DO know what we are talking about regarding these subjects, and we have been trying to tell the rest of you not to worry about Comet Elenin for what seems like an eternity now.

To summarise:-

C/2010 X1 Elenin is a normal comet, moving in a normal, highly elliptical solar orbit.
It will get no closer than 0.23 AU from Earth (quite close by cometary standards, but still 75 times the distance to the Moon).
It is estimated to be around 4kms in diameter (quite normal for a comet nucleus).
The mass is NEGLIGIBLE when compared to the planets, which means that it will not be affecting Earth in any way.
It will return to the inner Solar System in roughly 12000 years.
It is NOT a brown dwarf.

Useful additional information:-

Contrary to popular opinion, brown dwarfs are visible at optical wavelengths. If Elenin was a brown dwarf, not only would it be the brightest object in the night sky after the Full Moon, it would also be causing absolute havoc with the orbits of the inner planets and asteroids. No super bright unknown object has been seen cruising through the local neighbourhood, and no anomalous gravitational perturbations have been detected in the motions of the planets and asteroids.

In short, please remove any thoughts from your minds about Elenin being a brown dwarf, because that theory is TOTAL NONSENSE.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Hello all. I have been watching the elenin thing for a while. I don't buy into a lot of it, because I am not educated enough to argue with it nor to agree with it. There are a lot of things that just don't add up. For example:

In 1983 Thomas O'Toole wrote a story in the Washington Post. Here is the first part of the article:

Friday, December 30, 1983 ; Page A1

"A heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth that it would be part of this solar system has been found in the direction of the constellation Orion by an orbiting telescope aboard the U.S. infrared astronomical satellite.

So mysterious is the object that astronomers do not know if it is a planet, a giant comet, a nearby "protostar" that never got hot enough to become a star, a distant galaxy so young that it is still in the process of forming its first stars or a galaxy so shrouded in dust that none of the light cast by its stars ever gets through.

"All I can tell you is that we don't know what it is," Dr. Gerry Neugebauer, IRAS chief scientist for California's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and director of the Palomar Observatory for the California Institute of Technology, said in an interview.

This was the first article I heard about on the subject. There were others, and I do believe there is something out there. I don't know what it is. There are things happening on the other planets, strange storms and such, but again, had I listened in science class I would understand all this stuff. Why the various articles in the late 80's about 10th planet; the name Leonid Elenin, did you know leonids "are a prolific meteor shower associated with the comet Tempel-Tuttle." That just happen to come from the constellation Leo? That is quite a coincidence. Why did they shut down the WISE project right before the object can be seen? And don't tell me it is about money, they didn't drop the space program, they are switching gears. Why all the bunkers and FEMA junk going on. Why the strange weather we are having?

Like I said, it doesn't add up. Then again, why are you complaining as this is a site to uncover things. If we don't have the dialogue going, we'll never figure it out. Those who post whatever they think and claim it is fact will just have to be weeded out and those of you who post educated information, I thank you. I only come here to get more info about these things. Everyday I look for something new that will shed more light. If there is anything out there, we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
whether it be bits of info we'd get from amateur astronomers saying it isn't a comet,

Like who? Astrolpatriot? He's not an amateur astronomer, he's a proven liar who steals his images of telescopes from real amateurs. I know many other amateurs, not one of them thinks this isn't a normal comet.

or the 'coincidences' of it aligning with the Earth and Sun and a major earthquake would occur on the same day,

It didn't. It was supposed to cause "doom" due to an alignment on March 15th, instead an earthquake happened on the 11th. Oops.

and maybe that's just it. Maybe we don't believe in coincidences. Maybe we want to know the truth, and we'll know for sure come October.. November.. December.

No now the acceptable range for when any earthquakes will be blamed on Elenin extends from September to December? Talk about confirmation bias.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mneisme

Many things have been discovered since that article in 1983, do some more digging on it and you'll find the explanation for it.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mneisme

...the name Leonid Elenin, did you know leonids "are a prolific meteor shower associated with the comet Tempel-Tuttle." That just happen to come from the constellation Leo? That is quite a coincidence.

Do you really think that the name Leonid had anything to do with a meteor shower?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b943fa8b80bc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mneisme
In 1983 Thomas O'Toole wrote a story in the Washington Post. Here is the first part of the article:

Friday, December 30, 1983 ; Page A1

"A heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth that it would be part of this solar system has been found in the direction of the constellation Orion by an orbiting telescope aboard the U.S. infrared astronomical satellite.

So mysterious is the object that astronomers do not know if it is a planet, a giant comet, a nearby "protostar" that never got hot enough to become a star, a distant galaxy so young that it is still in the process of forming its first stars or a galaxy so shrouded in dust that none of the light cast by its stars ever gets through.

www.nature.com...

Why did they shut down the WISE project right before the object can be seen?

Coolant ran out, as it was destined to. WISE was only designed for an operational lifetime of less than a year, same as IRAS in fact, and even then WISE got a 4 month extension for NEOWISE.
edit on 29-6-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Its a pity really that the comet was discovered by a guy with the surname Elenin - if it had been something else like Golovin or something, I doubt there would have been nearly as much interest.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spolvil

Its a pity really that the comet was discovered by a guy with the surname Elenin - if it had been something else like Golovin or something, I doubt there would have been nearly as much interest.

Exactly, there were over a dozen comets discovered last year and they had to pick on this one. Why not Jarnac? That not only sounds sinister, but there is no astronomer named Jarnac!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

No not at all, just found it to be a funny coincidence.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by spolvil

Amen Spolvil.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Cool that you know that. It is a lot of information to absorb out there. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Well we don't have long until we find out whether Elenin is a real threat or not.
Until then, just sit back and enjoy life!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Why do these people restrict themselves to worrying about one comet? There's plenty more, one for every day of the year! Worry away!

www.minorplanetcenter.net...

The 'mystical' Elenin is even in the list at the bottom of comets, about halfway down or so. Oooooooo *bites nails*

Hey what does this say too?

Potentially Hazardous Asteroids 1237

Oh nooooo, comets AND asteroids to worry about..
*cries*

I recommend posting links in all Elenin threads and then sitting back laughing as they don't know which comet to worry about next.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

You are right Hazz-14. I am so tired of all this investigation, worry and just plain craziness. I guess I
would rather go out having a blast than worrying when it will all end. I'm done. I'll still pop on ATS for
entertainment purposes only.

Thanks again for your lil pep talk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join