It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.7 in japan nothing on the news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
there was a 6.7 earthquake in japan

but not a mention on most news channels

are we getting so used to these medium to large earthquakes that we dont even

bother with them

www.iris.edu...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by digby888

Actually I saw it earlier, no tsunami this time and no major damage.

2nd

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Yes, it was big, but it's part of an aftershock sequence, one that's been going on and producing 5's and 6's for months so the media have lost interest, and probably rightly so, there's only so many times you can report a big aftershock. Mainshocks are different - they're a headline.

There were a few reports about the 6.7 this morning when I awoke (NZ time) just after it had happened.

www.usatoday.com...

www.ouramazingplanet.com...

www.globalpost.com...

It's same here in Chch, rarely do our big aftershocks here make the main news abroad.
edit on 23-6-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
how about CNN?

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Is it possible for "aftershocks" to continue for months afterward ? When do the aftershocks stop and the earthquakes begin ?

(...Gawd I hope this 6.7 isn't the prequel to another big one hitting that area again, it would surely finish Japan off once and for all.)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Is it possible for "aftershocks" to continue for months afterward ? When do the aftershocks stop and the earthquakes begin ?

(...Gawd I hope this 6.7 isn't the prequel to another big one hitting that area again, it would surely finish Japan off once and for all.)

Aftershocks can go on for months/years, depending on the geology and the size of the mainshock. Unless a quake larger than Japan's mainshock occurs then all that follow the mainshock are aftershocks. Aftershocks are generally thought to follow a decaying sequence were mag and frequency decay over time which, as I said, is all dependent on the mainshock.

Here in Canterbury we are approaching 8,000 aftershocks from the 7.1 we had in September last year - almost a year ago.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
thank you all for your

constructive answers stars for all

just one more question how long

do aftershock last for on average

sorry for showing my ignorance but i am trying to learn

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Indonesia hasa mag 7 quake in 2006 that was considered an aftershock from the massive mag 9 that occured 18 months earlier. Big mag 9 earthquakes generate aftershocks for years.

If Japan was suddenly to get swarms of +5 quakes in a day it would be a sign that a major quake was coming again but that isn't happening. Activity is slowly down with one or 2 +5 quakes a day, and sometimes none.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by digby888
thank you all for your

constructive answers stars for all

just one more question how long

do aftershock last for on average

sorry for showing my ignorance but i am trying to learn

See my post above yours

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
These aftershocks are more worrisome than those in other countries IMO,as the Fukushima reactors are in such a precarious state.
A shallow aftershock close to the reactors could be catastrophic,on top of what has already happened with is already horrific IMO.
There are expected to be aftershocks for more than a year I think.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I saw it on google news I think the article was from CBC... So it'll be on the evening news tonight.

new topics

top topics

join