It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Local Government, In this climate it is your duty to protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Brighton and Hove welcomes protesters

Activists have been given an open invitation to protest in Brighton and Hove.

The new ruling party in Brighton and Hove has said it is a “duty” for protesters to take to the streets and express their anger at cuts to public services.

Source

I really can not say that this news surprises me at all.. but is this a new shift where Local Governments are now encouraging protests against National Government? while underlining the fact that it is our duty to protest..

The local protests have been creeping and growing in magnitude for a while now.

more from the article:

The debate comes after the latest series of protests in the city this weekend, which saw five high-street banks occupied.

The campaign saw about 50 activists demonstrating in Lloyds, Natwest, RBS, Santander and Barclays but no arrests. The council has already refused to evict a group of Spanish protesters who have been camping at Old Steine.

While one cabinet member for the council stated.

“I hope over the next four years we will see a whole new atmosphere. Legitimate protest is not just a right but in the current climate is almost a duty. We want people to feel confident they can carry out that duty in our city without fear."

Recently the UKuncut guys and gals glued themselves to shop windows to protest big corporate tax dodging, which has in turn moved onto protesting the banks.

above vid of UKUncut protesters gluing themselves to the Topshop store front.

So what are your thoughts? are we seeing here an isolated incident from one local government or do you think it'll be a growing trend where local governments start openly supporting and encouraging the protesters?

edit on 1/6/11 by thoughtsfull because: add clarity remove junk and change title

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I like how they told them what it is they should be protesting about. Ahhh government, can't even get the illusion of freedom right.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Thanks for the response
It certainly feels there is yet another agenda coming into play (local interests vs national interests). however my feeling is once you raise the spectre of protest as a duty, it feels like they might have problems putting that genie back in the bottle when it bites them on the behind.
edit on 1/6/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
They are right. It should be the public duty to protest.
Corporation's do it by way of 'lobbying'.
If the people don't protest, the govt won't think twice about doing what they want.

We are not 'their' people.
They are OUR government.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

They certainly are our government
but it seems to be fractures arising between local and national government.. I see that aspect appearing elsewhere in the world, and wonder if this is a growing trend.. I hope it is, as centralised big government is not what I feel is an ideal.. but I am also concious that local governments have their own agendas too.. so feel cautious of that.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
dang-it
this is in UK
for moment there I was
getting excited expecting
it to be the US.

Don't tease me like that. lol

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I'm sorry Boondock
didn't mean to get your hopes up.. but, don't you feel this notion could spread? the local governments already at odds with national governments might start to side with the protesters.. or as in the this case go as far as to encourage protests? or do you think that might be a step to far..
edit on 1/6/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

They wont think twice even if we do protest. They either ignore prottests or send in their hired thugs to turn it violent and rob it of its credibility. We cannot beat our oppressors unless we are prepared to go to war.

join