It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students to be Forced into the Military to Repay Debts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
It's easy to SAY 'work your way through college' but it's a hard reality.
You can't MAKE enough to pay for a semester of college - and you can NOT do one semester here and there - your credits will DISAPPEAR in x amount of time - not enough to work in a regular ol' job to save enough to pay for another semester!

Now some colleges have a work-study program. Usually that involves using loans as well.
Another option is to work for a college that lets you take courses for free - but you'll have to buy supplies and books and you will have to wait until the other students all have their classes - meaning, there may be some classes that fill up that you won't be able to get into. This is a problem for the more popular programs.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I think that shooling should be paid by goverment...
goverment takes 25% of our salaries, they should participate in
your shooling for the sake of scociety, if you think an education is expensive
try not being educated, now thats expensive..

Less war and more education please.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FatedAxion
reply to post by macman

If you actually think that you can work your way through college today, then you are waaay behind the times. Community college...okay, that's possible. But 4-year university? Forget it.

Yeah, because 3 of my person friends are not doing right now..

Stop making excuses. That is the biggest thing holding anyone back out there.
"Can't never did anything".

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

That system is available here in the US if you choose to, it is the GI bill.
If you successfully traverse the sausage grinder that is the US military, they say thank you and put you in college.
You see if they educate people first, they may figure out the game and say screw the military.

Yeah....ok..... they will put you through college ONLY if you decide to stay in the military on active duty. Basically if your education of choice doesn't line up with your MOS, you're screwed. Pretty good system eh?
P.S. before anyone else starts spouting about the military "thanking" us for selling our souls, just look at the fact that we, the veterans of this bullspit "War on Terror" are now considered the biggest threat to national security by the government. This is the same in both Canada and the States. "We support our troops", my ass! To sum it up, the military is NOT a viable option for getting an education as it is most likely that they will sidetrack you intentionally to prevent you from reaching that goal. And then there's the fact that most employers are scared to hire veterans (I know this is the case up here and it's not really a stretch to imagine that it's the same down there). Put simply, the fact that alot of teenagers still think that the military is a good option shows that the propaganda has worked very well. The idealism of military service is beyond ridiculous. They make it sound like you're saving the world and bettering yourself, while you're just killing someone's son or daughter and messing yourself up in the head. Sorry...that was a little Rant-agious wasn't it lol.
edit on 31/5/2011 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

Not true. The Military offers the ability to CLEP or DANTE courses, basically take the final test, without taking the class and if you pass you get the credit.
GI BIll will pay for ANY college courses, regardless of MOS. They will also pay for vocational classes, test and certifications.

Yes, it is a viable option for education. Me thinks you might have gone in under Infantry and was told fables by a recruiter.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
I think its a great idea....military service is good for young folks and having obama make them do it is poetic justice for their support of him....just remember how much you love him that first wake up morning in Boot Camp....and when you experience that first IED outside your vehicle door

Sorry, Military service is not for the Worst President in History, it is for the Country as a whole and the person serving.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by macman

A corporate headhunter actually wrote that someone with no debt is a worse hire than someone with lots of debt and an extravagant lifestyle because the latter shows strong status needs, and they HAVE to chase the dollar to pay for it. Which means they will do what you want and need them to to get those bonuses.

What the average person thinks of as "good" (straight A's, no debt) corporate America does not.

I absolutely agree 100%, if you are debt-free with diploma in hand you are considered a bad risk hiring! I have had employers tell me that they cannot find my "motivator", not that I was not performing well, but they could not manipulate me during my performance. This often led to me being a "threat" to others "above me".

However, I love it that way, and it has opened a path of another kind! One where I discovered I can learn anything I want to learn and no one can put a price on that. I can walk away from "bad employers" and I can still smile and not have to reach for the "TUMS or Rolaids" for support!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

That's still only if you stay in the military. To tell you the truth, not to sound mean or anything, but you just proved my point. Don't believe the bloody propaganda. If you have actually served, than I think you need to open your eyes, if you haven't, than you shouldn't be commenting on that matter at all. Just my 2 cents worth. Keep in mind that I am a vet and I really do know what I'm talking about. P.S. Infantry is for saps. Recce all the way. Sorry for any possible thread derailment but I had to get that out there.
edit on 2/6/2011 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by macman

That's still only if you stay in the military. To tell you the truth, not to sound mean or anything, but you just proved my point. Don't believe the bloody propaganda. If you have actually served, than I think you need to open your eyes, if you haven't, than you shouldn't be commenting on that matter at all. Just my 2 cents worth. Keep in mind that I am a vet and I really do know what I'm talking about. P.S. Infantry is for saps. Recce all the way. Sorry for any possible thread derailment but I had to get that out there.
edit on 2/6/2011 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

Yes, those things are for current military members. And your point is?
GI Bill is for Veterans. Veterans also get great home loan advantages.

I loved my time in. Wish I would have done somethings differently, but it is what it is. I would do it again if given the choice.

Go Comm!!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
College shouldn't be for everyone. If only those people who were going into the hard sciences, or medicine or law went to college, then government could afford to fund those.

Instead, we live in a society which teaches our young people that the only way to be happy is through wealth, the only way to get wealth is through education, the only way to education is to go into debt.

I didn't last long in college, I'm not a follower and I was not willing to go into debt, my parents helped as much as they could, but they could not fund me fully, at the end of the day, when I did a full analysis of cost vs pay off, I could not justify it any longer.

These many years later I do not regret for one minute that I didn't complete my degree, instead, I began work full time in the same field as a filing clerk, incidentally, the same positions I now hire college graduates for.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join