It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4/13/2011 -- URGENT - USA / Canada HIGH-mid levels of Cesium - Radiation and Jetstream Forecast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

This guy who shows the video about how the radiation is spreading across US & Canada is dog-determined to follow up with more documentation about the radiation levels in North America. I would suggest following this guy in his exploration.

It sucks that the media does not even talk about this, yet, they only talk about radiation events in Japan. We need to keep updating each other about the radiation effects here too...this is a global crisis, not just a Japan crisis.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I tried to keep updated, create a thread about the local readings here in NB, Canada (east cost). They've been detecting iodine-131 (i think 131) here for awhile now thanks to sensors installed at the Lepraeu nuclear power station.

And that's the problem. They report iodine-131 with has a half life of a little over 8 days, but fail to mention cessium which can stick around for 30 years, or plutonium which can last for 240,000 years depending on the isotope. They are only reporting iodine in my area and everyone is walking around like that's just fine.

It's not fine. Our environment is now tainted with radioactive material that causes thyroid cancer. Sure it's half life means most of it decays but it's all over, we're breathing it in, and internal radiation exposure is much more serious than external like an x-ray.

So the plant is releasing strontium, plutonium, iodine and cessium. If we're getting iodine here and it's half life is only 8 days, how are we not getting cessium?

nothing but disinformation or no information at all.
edit on 14-4-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Do you know a link to view the radioactive iodine radar, or one that streams live radiation feeds?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Other than radiation network and blackcats, no. To my knowledge the public has no access to the sensors at Lepraeu they just happened to mention it on the news that they indeed detected "low" levels of iodine. I'm working on getting more information about the sensors in place.

Here's the PDF NB Power put out in March:

NB Power

Here's some links i found for radiation levels detected used to update daily, now it's 3 times a week:

Fixed Point
Mobile

Obviously it's not saying what, it's merely levels

Although there is only a negligible increase in the level of radioactivity measured, it is possible to identify the isotopes in the radiation. This allows Health Canada to verify that the incident in Japan is the source of the isotopes. For example, xenon was detected on the fixed point network stations on the west coast. Xenon is an isotope produced from a nuclear reactor. Please note that starting April 1 2011, the daily dose data will be available for select station across Canada and will only be updated 3 times a week; however, Health Canada will continue to monitor the data on a daily basis.

Source

Oh well that's great I can sleep soundly now, around the time we should be seeing large increases in radiation they decide to stop updating the list daily. AWESOME.

Nothing to see here, that metallic taste in your mouth means you are healthy.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Thank you for the find. I'll be checking it out and get back to you.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com... st-april-13-2011/

Dutchsinse, April 13, 2011

Here is a list of the radioactive particles in the air. Taken from the 3-16-11 on ZAMG site.
XE-133
CS-134
BA-136M
CS-136
CS 137
I-131
I-132
I-133
TE-132

Higher plumes, reaching 5000 meters (15,000 feet) are forecast to reach Portugal, Spain, and central Europe. All animations are from professional forecasting services. More links available under the Radiation Monitoring category.

edit on 14-4-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: edit

edit on 14-4-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwatersSource

Oh well that's great I can sleep soundly now, around the time we should be seeing large increases in radiation they decide to stop updating the list daily. AWESOME.

Great link, Sir.

What would be considered "dangerous" level?...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
www.skeedy.com...

Mid-high levels of Caesium reach the U.S. and Canada.

What are the effects of Caesium:

Caesium-133

133Cs is the only naturally occurring and only stable isotope. It is also produced by nuclear fission. It is also used to define the second.
Caesium-134

Caesium-134 has a half-life of 2.0652 years. It is produced both directly (at a very small yield) as a fission product, but not via beta decay of other fission product nuclides of mass 134, since beta decay stops at stable Xe-134. It is also produced via neutron capture from nonradioactive Cs-133 (neutron capture cross section 29 barns) which is a common fission product.

The combined yield of Cs-133 and Cs-134 is given as 6.7896%. The proportion between the two will change with continued neutron irradiation. Cs-134 also captures neutrons with a cross section of 140 barns, becoming long-lived radioactive Cs-135.

It is produced by neutron activation of 133Cs. Only tiny amounts are produced directly as a fission product because Xenon-134 is stable. It is not produced by nuclear weapons because 133Cs is created by beta decay of original fission products only long after the nuclear explosion is over.
Caesium-135

135Cs with a half-life of 2.3 million years is one of seven long-lived fission products. In most nuclear reactors its fission product yield is reduced because its predecessor xenon-135 is an extremely potent neutron poison and often transmuted to stable xenon-136 before it can decay to Cs-135.

Long-lived
fission productsProp:
Unit:t½
MaYield
%Q *
KeVβγ
*99Tc0.2116.1385294β126Sn0.2300.10844050βγ79Se0.3270.0447151β93Zr1.535.457591βγ135Cs2.3 6.9110269β107Pd6.5 1.249933β129I15.7 0.8410194βγ

Caesium-135 is one of the isotopes of caesium. It is mildly radioactive, undergoing low-energy beta decay to barium-135 with a half-life of 2.3 million years. It is one of the 7 long-lived fission products, and the only alkaline one; in nuclear reprocessing it stays with Cs-137 and other medium-lived fission products, rather than with other LLFPs. 135Cs's low decay energy, lack of gamma radiation, and long half-life, make this isotope much less hazardous than Cs-137 or Cs-134.

Its precursor Xenon-135 has a high fission product yield, such as 6.3333% for U-235 and thermal neutrons, but also has the highest knownthermal neutron neutron capture cross section of any nuclide, so much of the Xe-135 produced in current thermal reactors (as much as >90% at steady-state full power [1]) will be converted to stable Xenon-136 before it can decay to Cs-135. Less or no Xe-135 will be destroyed by neutron capture after a reactor shutdown, or in a molten salt reactor that continuously removes xenon from its fuel, afast neutron reactor, or a nuclear weapon.

A nuclear reactor will also produce much smaller amounts of 135Cs from the nonradioactive fission product Caesium-133 by successive neutron capture to Cs-134 and then Cs-135.

135Cs's thermal neutron capture cross section and resonance integral are 8.3±0.3 and 38.1±2.6 barns respectively.[2] Disposal of Cs-135 by nuclear transmutation is difficult, because of the low cross section, because neutron irradiation of mixed-isotope fission caesium produces more Cs-135 from stable Cs-133, and because the intense medium-term radioactivity of Cs-137 makes handling difficult. [3]
Caesium-137
Main article: Caesium-137

137Cs with a half-life of 30.17 years is one of the two principal medium-lived fission products, along with strontium-90, which are responsible for most of the radioactivity of spent nuclear fuel after several years of cooling, up to several hundred years after use. It constitutes most of the radioactivity still left from the Chernobyl accident. 137Cs beta decays to barium-137m (a short-lived nuclear isomer) then to nonradioactive barium-137, and is also a strong emitter of gamma radiation. 137Cs has a very low rate of neutron capture and cannot be feasibly disposed of in this way, but must be allowed to decay. 137Cs has been used as a tracer in hydrologic studies, analogous to the use of 3H.

AND

Caesium-137 reacts with water producing a water-soluble compound (caesium hydroxide), and the biological behavior of caesium is similar to that of potassium and rubidium. After entering the body, caesium gets more or less uniformly distributed throughout the body, with higher concentration in muscle tissues and lower in bones. The biological half-life of caesium is rather short at about 70 days.[7] Experiments with dogs showed that a single dose of 3800 μCi/kg (approx. 44 μg/kg of caesium-137) is lethal within three weeks.[8]

Accidental ingestion of caesium-137 can be treated with Prussian blue, which binds to it chemically and then speeds its expulsion from the body.[9]

The improper handling of caesium-137 gamma ray sources can lead to release of this radio-isotope and radiation injuries. Perhaps the best-known case is the Goiânia accident, in which an improperly-disposed-of radiation therapy system from an abandoned clinic in the city of Goiânia, Brazil, was scavenged from a junkyard, and the glowing caesium salt sold to curious, uneducated buyers. This led to multiple serious injuries and cases of death from radiation exposure.

Caesium gamma-ray sources that have been encased in metallic housings can be mixed-in with scrap metal on its way to smelters, resulting in production of steel contaminated with radioactivity.[10]

One notable example was the Acerinox accident of 1998, when the Spanish recycling company Acerinox accidentally melted down a mass of radioactive caesium-137 that came from a gamma-ray generator.[11]

In 2009, a Chinese cement company in China (the Shaanxi Province) was demolishing an old, unused cement plant and it did not follow the standards for handling radioactive materials. This caused some caesium-137 from a measuring instrument to be melted down along with eight truckloads scrap metal on its way to a steel mill. Hence, the radioactive caesium was melted down into the steel.[12]

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

What would be considered "dangerous" level?...

Any level? Iodine 131 causes thyriod cancer, cessium causes all types of problems. Any exposure is bad as this is internal exposure, you breath it in, much worse than external exposure like an x-ray.

I've received an email from the nuclear plant and they have forwarded my request for information to the appropriate department saying I should hear back sometime this week.

Simple really, what are we capable of detecting and what are we detecting. That's all I want to know, I don't care about iodine-131.

new topics

top topics

join