It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chip Yates Hits 190 MPH During Electric Motorbike Testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The new record for the fastest electric motorcycle has been set by chip yates on the SWIGZ electric race bike.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e578a9ccd50a.jpg[/atsimg]
this 241 horsepower,500 amp pumping beast delivers 341 ft-lbs of torque and dyno testing has it reaching speeds in excess of 225 MPH

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd3acda53ded.jpg[/atsimg]

heres the video of the speed run (which isnt the best view but listen to the sound!!)
This sounds so much like a turbine jet taking off, yes i hear all the internal combustion engine fan boys jumping up and down but you cant argue with that sound..

And heres the dyno run for your pleasure.

www.chipyates.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That is hot. So when can we ditch these gas guzzling galoppies and get some real power happening?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I've been following Chip for a while now. This is some serious news. The speed at which this bike runs and the raw power are just awesome. If the battery technology could progress as fast as other tech traditionally has, we should have a direct replacement for gasoline. Be sure to watch his progress in the Pikes Peak Hill climb this year. My hat is off to William "Chip" Yates and his valiant crew. Good work boys! I hope that people are aware that this is history making.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
That is hot. So when can we ditch these gas guzzling galoppies and get some real power happening?

Its only a matter of time before we can get our hands on some real electric bikes, as battery power to weight density gets better (look up Lithium air batteries) and recharging, battery swap points become reality.
Or we get induction power in the roads them selves

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have started looking into free energy devices and it is not the batteries that are the problem, but government and oil companies suppressing so many good inventions. pesn.com... is just one of many examples. Hundreds of secrecy orders are put on inventors each year due to so called 'national interest'. When the planet is getting polluted, prices going up and continual war and conflict going on this suppression is not in the national interest. There are a lot of good ideas around and with some of the new technology going on an amazing amount of power is just sitting there waiting.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Yes i agree with you on suppressed tech
but the limiting factor on electric vehicles at the moment really is the distance they can cover.
theres only two ways this can be fixed, better power density or lower weights.
but i just wrote a thread on hydrogen hybrids, might like to check that one out

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Battery density is the current challenge but also look at Super Capacitor technology which will make batteries much quicker to charge by placing the Caps in parallel with the battery.

With this technology , If you can plug in at work or at your local coffee shop there is a solution to your range issue.

Check out this guy's electric powered drag racer that out accelerates C6 Corvettes running 11.5 second quarter miles !!!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by d4ng3rm0u53

Well said,. Electric motorcycles have been raced at the Isle of Man TT for the last couple of years as well, and although the idea of them may be hard for a lot of people to get used to, I think it is definetly going going to take off in a big way very soon.
Looking forward to getting back to the TT this year to see how much progress has been made on this side of the water in the last 12 months

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Yes, i must admit i forgot about super caps
i have also read about hybrid batteries that can hold more power then a cap and can be charged to near full capacity in a few minutes, which gives the best of both worlds.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Great bike
I so want one

Concerning the electrical powered bikes/cars issues , from what I understand it is not the range or the "suppression of the tech" that is the problem , it is the time it takes to recharge the batteries. From what I gathered they still do not have a solution to make the energy transfer faster without melting down the batteries due to the limitations of liquid boiling points ..

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
Great bike
I so want one

From what I gathered they still do not have a solution to make the energy transfer faster without melting down the batteries due to the limitations of liquid boiling points ..

Well thats not exactly true, the tech is in its infancy, so it is coming just slowly..
check out these links to get an idea.
www.gizmag.com...
electriccarsreport.com...

"The newly cathode allows extremely fast charging and discharging to the tune of 400C for lithium-ion and 1,000C for NiMH batteries in which, ”C” is the charge (or discharge) rate where 1C equals a charge in one hour. 400C means a full charge in 1/400 of an hour. This means normal lithium-ion batteries could be recharged to 90 percent in just two minutes."

The other innovation is spray on solar cells that could make cars that charge all the time in daylight, extendind range.

edit on 15-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
Well thats not exactly true, the tech is in its infancy, so it is coming just slowly..
check out these links to get an idea.
www.gizmag.com...
electriccarsreport.com...

"The newly cathode allows extremely fast charging and discharging to the tune of 400C for lithium-ion and 1,000C for NiMH batteries in which, ”C” is the charge (or discharge) rate where 1C equals a charge in one hour. 400C means a full charge in 1/400 of an hour. This means normal lithium-ion batteries could be recharged to 90 percent in just two minutes."

The other innovation is spray on solar cells that could make cars that charge all the time in daylight, extendind range.

edit on 15-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

Thank You very much for correcting me , I have recently become very interested in the topic of electric transportation ,so I will surely go over Your links and educate myself on this topic a bit more instead of listening to some people that thought they knew better and repeating their ignorance

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

No problem Thil, only trying to help show people there is a solution coming, just very slowly.
you might also like to heck out this thread as well, on hydrogen powered hybrids i wrote.
Thats another way we could extended the range, by using an electric vechile with a small hydrogen run engine powering generators to keep the batteries toped up.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
glad to be of service

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
This is one of the strides being made to advance electric vehicle technology, tech derrived and created here will appear on production vehicles by 2016 at the earliest. Alot of people were complaining about having performance and electrics and this further proves that point.

This also confirms that to go Green you do not nor should you sacrifce performance.

No doubt are the following racing leagues paying attention and taking notes :
World Rally Championships, Global Formula 1, GT1, GT2, GT3, global Le Mans, KART, Baja, Motorcross, NASCAR.

The following motorbike companies also have their ears up :
Kawakaski, Honda, BMW, Ducati, Harley Davidson and everyone else.
edit on 23-4-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join