It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France and Mexico : Diplomatic conflict for a woman.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

edit on 20-2-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
París claims for Florence Cassez and for the Mexican government she must spend the next 60 years in prison for kidnapping. Even President Nicolas Sarkozy made the request to Mexico, during his visit to Mexico in March 2009. France relies on the terms of the Treaty of Strasbourg, which both countries signed in 1983, which allows the repatriation of criminals to pay their convictions.

All started with a live television broadcast, where dozens of masked police officers stormed the December 9, 2005 on a ranch outside Mexico City to rescue three hostages.

They captured the kidnappers Israel Vallarta, leader of the band 'The Zodiac', and his girlfriend, Florence Cassez French.

The operation was mounted by the Police "on demand" media. In fact, the arrest came a day earlier in a different place and a completely different way to what was seen on television.

The situation between the two countries became more complicated last week when a court rejected its appeal Cassez against her sentence of 60 years for kidnapping. French, 36, will continue serving his sentence, which has served five years in a Mexican jail.

Cassez says she is innocent and didn’t know about the criminal actions of her boyfriend. Also, her lawyer Agustín Acosta said : "She was forced to participate in an event."

www.euronews.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Damn it baxster you know i don't speak Spanish! Scotch Scotch Scotch i love Scotch! Really i have no idea whats going on in this try posting in English the universal language next time please

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Why are you posting this in spanish? Most of the people at least understand english, please re-post in english. Muchos Gracias.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What this come down to from what I heard on the Mexican media outlets, is that this woman was arrested for Kidnappings in Mexico of Mexicans by Mexican authorities, Any government would then want and have the right to ensure that the person convicted serves sentence in the country where the offence was commited.

For example

Foreign nationals caught drug smuggling in Thailand, Terrorists in America, Bombers in Scotland!!!

Is it not right and fair that the Mexican government therefore have the right to punich the convicted on their own terms, and should not have to bow to the demands for repatriation of the "mother" country.

Further example, A Jamaican drug dealer, was extradited to the US for crime committed there, sparking mass riots in Kingston. He was still extradited.

Responses I am expecting here\, as usual from ATS membership, is that Mexico should back down in the face of demands from a 1st world country, when in fact I don't see why they should. No other country would.

You break the law in a country then you are subject to the laws of that country, Without exception this is the rule. repatriation of criminals to the home country only happens are conclusion of negotiations and agreement between the two countries. Not via diplomatic posturing, threats and demands.

The French gov really needs to learn to speak to other countries with respect that is deserved and not try and box well above it's weight, which for them is a hard thing to do, but cannot accept that they are a country, however developed of limited global influence!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by Trueman

Damn it baxster you know i don't speak Spanish! Scotch Scotch Scotch i love Scotch! Really i have no idea whats going on in this try posting in English the universal language next time please

Haha...,I guess you are talking about the video right?...well, I try to find an english version but there is not available. The point in the video is that you can see scenes of the "faked oparacion", regardless the language.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Why are you posting this in spanish? Most of the people at least understand english, please re-post in english. Muchos Gracias.

Again, I didn't post it in spanish, it's just the video supporting the story, wich is not available in english. It doesn't matter to much if it's in spanish anyway, since the reason I included is just to show scenes of the "faked operation" the mexican police mounted for the international press, as I mentioned.

Vaya con Dios.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I agree with you. A criminal must be sent back to his own country in order to be prosecuted. Honestly, I believe there is a wall between both countries, it is not easy for France to deal with a country like Mexico for many reasons.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
What this come down to from what I heard on the Mexican media outlets, is that this woman was arrested for Kidnappings in Mexico of Mexicans by Mexican authorities, Any government would then want and have the right to ensure that the person convicted serves sentence in the country where the offence was commited.

For example

Foreign nationals caught drug smuggling in Thailand, Terrorists in America, Bombers in Scotland!!!

Is it not right and fair that the Mexican government therefore have the right to punich the convicted on their own terms, and should not have to bow to the demands for repatriation of the "mother" country.

Further example, A Jamaican drug dealer, was extradited to the US for crime committed there, sparking mass riots in Kingston. He was still extradited.

Responses I am expecting here\, as usual from ATS membership, is that Mexico should back down in the face of demands from a 1st world country, when in fact I don't see why they should. No other country would.

You break the law in a country then you are subject to the laws of that country, Without exception this is the rule. repatriation of criminals to the home country only happens are conclusion of negotiations and agreement between the two countries. Not via diplomatic posturing, threats and demands.

The French gov really needs to learn to speak to other countries with respect that is deserved and not try and box well above it's weight, which for them is a hard thing to do, but cannot accept that they are a country, however developed of limited global influence!
Really buddy dont you think that would make they very very hypocritical seeing as they allow their people to break our laws everyday crossing the boarder. Yet if we try and enforce the law Mexico files lawsuits

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

I knew someone was going to bring up illegal immigrants into all this. Even if the discussion doesn't even involve America.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

I knew someone was going to bring up illegal immigrants into all this. Even if the discussion doesn't even involve America.

Well...when taking about mexicans, first thing poping up in the mind is illegal aliens, unavoidable. I don't hate them, but honestly they have a tendency to break the laws.

This french girl is an example.
Illegal aliens are an example.
Cartels are an example.
edit on 21-2-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Did you actually read my post?

Are the US Authorities that impotent that in your opinion they do not enforce their law without fear of petitions from the mexican government. Oh wait isn't that EXACTLY what the French government is doing to Mexico?

However would not the US response to this be that if US laws are broken then they should be prosecuted in the US under US law?

rather than being hypocritical it seems this is the norm within diplomatic channels if what you say is to be believed!

Or would you say that any foreign national anywhere in the world caught breaking local laws, should be automatically departed back to the home country for prosecution. I am sure that would suit the drug runners and sex tourists in Thailand just fine!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Generalizing are we?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

If Illegal aliens cause crime then isn't there a simple solution

Declare amnesty, give them all residency. then by your theory this should them cut crime by 100% amongst the immigrant population, no?

or could it simply be that your premise is inherently, and systemically flawed!??

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
reply to post by Trueman

Generalizing are we?

No, of course not. But let's be honest...that's the image THEY project to the world.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

If Illegal aliens cause crime then isn't there a simple solution

Declare amnesty, give them all residency. then by your theory this should them cut crime by 100% amongst the immigrant population, no?

or could it simply be that your premise is inherently, and systemically flawed!??

I don't understand why do we have to do that. We have a border and it must be respected. If we enter their country illegaly we go jail in Mexico, and that will be right since that is a crime.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Technically not correct, not immediately anyway. You can enter Mexico as a Tourist, and then apply for status from the INM in country, within the terms of your leave to stay as a tourist. In most cases anything up to 90 days.

Although you are technically correct that, it should not be necessary to do that. your generalization led to that illogical conclusion. that a lack of "illegals" would lead to a reduction in crime.

Whether they are legal or not is not the issue (in this case) as the propensity for criminal activity exists within the individual regardless of immigration status, just as not all US citizens are law abiding (or French for that matter)

It's a bit like saying that all Muslims are terrorists, or on topic, all french stink of onions and have hairy armpits! it's a stereotype, which ironically the Mexicans themselves have been at pains to fight against in recent weeks.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

Technically not correct, not immediately anyway. You can enter Mexico as a Tourist, and then apply for status from the INM in country, within the terms of your leave to stay as a tourist. In most cases anything up to 90 days.

They don't enter as a tourist, that's a totally different thing.

What I said is if I just cross the border in the same way they do, they will put me in jail.

I don't think 100% of the mexicans are the same, of course there is a lot of decent people between them but those are the ones that don't want to cross the border illegaly.

top topics

join