It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Condoms? Yep, There's An App For That...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Can you feel me now? (Sorry. I couldn't resist)

NY health officials launch condom finder phone app...

(AP) NEW YORK (AP) — Health officials have released a mobile phone application to help New Yorkers find free condoms.

The app is designed to locate the five nearest venues that distribute official NYC Condoms in jazzy wrappers printed with colorful subway maps or other city themes.

Jazzy wrappers? Does this make them work better or cost the taxpayers more money?

People can manually enter addresses or use their phones' GPS technology. The app provides the hours of operation for each location and directions by foot, car or public transportation. It also offers tips on condom usage.

New Yorkers can download the free application by searching for "NYC Condom Finder" in the iPhone App Store or the Android Market.

The health department launched the condom finder app on Valentine's Day. The app is the latest effort by the health department to promote condom use through its free condom distribution program.

How ironic on Valentine's Day.

But seriously, I could go either way on this. Condoms are cheaper than pregnancy by far. So if this program succeeds it may save taxpayer's money. Always a good thing in my book.

On the other hand one could argue that if somebody has enough money to buy a smartphone and keep internet active on it (Cheapest plan for data I have seen is $25.00 A month which does not include talk minutes) then they can certainly spare enough change for a few condoms.

I remain on the fence I suppose. There could be huge benefits if it was successful, but who should pay for it?

Source: www.cbsnews.com...

edit on 2/16/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

It might save the taxpayer money short-term.
However, if you all knocked up your own women you wouldn't need immigration, and a a future taxpaying generation would be assured without all the cultural hassles.
In a few years young Aussies (or Americans, see any Western country) will be supporting your pension.
Problem solved.
Leave the condoms to the high-risk HIV groups.

edit on 16-2-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

join